My SDA 1B Recovering Project

Options
kelley
kelley Posts: 287
edited June 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Finished them up last week. I had my 3.1's in storage but wanted to match them as closely as possible since the 1B's are going to be my rear channels. So I tried to remember what they looked like and went from there. I used all solid oak and stained them more to my liking then matching the color to the 3.1's I don't have a weight but they're getting close to 100 pounds, at least they feel like that when trying to move them around. the side panels are 1/2 " mdf covered with Parts Express cloth. I also removed the original bottom stands and installed Dayton Audio spikes. All parts are bolted on and silicone sealed to help in the repair of any future damge. The hardest part of the whole project was creating new grills since they are wider and higher than the originals. Alot of work to end up with 1C's but the old vinyl covering was in terrible shape.
SDS-400, SDA-1B, SVS 20-39pc+, B&K Ref 50, Denon 2900
Post edited by kelley on

Comments

• kelley
    edited June 2005
    Options
    side shot
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited June 2005
    Options
    wow... they look nice! On the upside, you have great resell value now!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Very pretty.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Beautiful job!
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • kelley
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm actually liking the appearance of them better than the 3.1's I just unboxed.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited June 2005
    Options
    If I were to send you my 2Bs would you redo 'em?:D :D
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by ND13
    If I were to send you my 2Bs would you redo 'em?:D :D

Or better yet, just send me a cabinet and I can move the drivers and crossover to the new cabinet. - So what do you charge for new cabinets delivered to the midwest?

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • kelley
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Ha! actually it's not too bad if you have access to simple woodworking tools. Basically a table saw, router, drill, and a whole lot of sandpaper. I had the tops and bottoms made by a furniture company here. They cost me $50 for the four pieces which was about $10 more than I could've done it for. You'd need a edge joiner to get them glued up right. The problem was that the speakers ended up being about 11 7/8" deep. Lowes and Home Depot carry what is supposed to be 12" wide oak but it really measures about 11 1/4". Have to find a lumber yard that has true 12" but up here that proved impossible. Make your own and you'll love them twice as much. I happen to work with somebody who has a substantial workshop so that was the reason I started this project in the first place. Currently we're modifying a cocktail table I picked up into a tv/component holder as the ones I wanted were almost $1000. Rediculous. I did learn a few things about the de-construction of these things. I'll be glad to give any lessons learned if someone wants to tackle this. I had taken pics in progress but they are too big to post and become distorted when I try to resize.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Nice job kelly! I like your casing choice on the side. Much nicer than a flat piece. I've used the Parts Express cloth before too. It is thinner than the OEM Polk cloth, so I spray a coat of flat black on light colored woods I cover first so the light color doesn't show through the cloth.

I'm building an Oak bar for the lower level. L shaped Oak bars are big dollars! I've got about $400 in materials so far, and it will cost about a third of the ones I've priced in stores. None that I looked at would fit my application anyway. Progress so far.

If one doesn't have a table saw, you can clamp a metal straight edge ruler down and use it as a guide with a circular saw. They are realatively inexpensive and come in 6' and 8' lengths. You can use a straight edge to route straight grooves in panels too.

Another tool I find useful is a Kreg Pocket Hole tool. A few of these with glued joints in a routed groove and you have a strong joint you can handle immediately without clamping. You can even plug the pocket holes to cover the screw head.

Once again, a most excellent job!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Kelley-

I'd like to see the "in progress" pictures if you wouldn't mind emailing them to me.
    What a great Job!

trubluluc@yahoo.com

thanks,

-Luc
  • kelley
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Sure, I'll get them out soon
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by trubluluc
    Kelley-

I'd like to see the "in progress" pictures if you wouldn't mind emailing them to me.
    What a great Job!

trubluluc@yahoo.com

thanks,

-Luc

Can you please add another e-mail address to the sending of those pictures? I have a set of SDA-1b's that really need a new cabinet.... :)

mikehand4@insightbb.com

Thanks alot,

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)