The Amazings so far

BobMcG
BobMcG Posts: 1,585
edited June 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Very nice indeed even more astonishing bass than the terrific 2.3s. Not that a sub is "needed" with either speaker I have always used one to help with the lowest reaches. Well, the crossover has been lowered now from 40hz to 35hz and the sub volume has been lowered too. The CAs placement has also been dialed in. The bass is trully AMAZING. Deep, tight, clear and under control. It can punch you solidly in the chest. The midrange is strong and clear. With the C-9 the soundstage is like I'm used to with the 2.3s. The ribbons can be very sweet, when they are spot on. As of this evening they are wearing a new pair of Vampire's best gold fiveway binding posts.

With the CAs 85db sens rated as opposed to the 89db for the 2.3s, I've had to get used to the added power needed to really wake them up and glad I've plenty of it to offer.

I'm not used to the finicky tweeters though and may just have Dave rebuild them sometime. I've gotten the humidity level down to what should be an accetable level but still have to hit them with a dryer on occasion which snaps them right around... I'm guessing that maybe the older the ribbons are and or the more use they've seen the more they are effected by moisture? They are however trully fine sounding speakers when they are in their grove. Just have to get them there for good.
Post edited by BobMcG on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2005
    Good on ya Bob. OB/ IB bass done RIGHT is quite an experience. The Carvers are fine speakers, I consider myself lucky that a few friends (across the country) own them, and I can listen to them at least once a year or so.

Any way to get them out of that room? If even just for a while to see how they respond?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • BobMcG
    edited June 2005
    Probably could get them into the HT room I suppose, but that sounds a lot like work. :eek:

It would be interesting to hear them powered with the Counterpoint amp and Parasound pre minus all the other HT crap... ooops, did I say that?? I meant stuff.... yeah, that's it, HT stuff... I'd have to set them in front of the 3000s so there's no TV between them and re-route some wires... it's doable I quess.......

.............would yah look at the time? Why, it's time to hit the hay already!
    :D
  • BobMcG
    edited June 2005
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited June 2005
    Looking much better.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BobMcG
    edited June 2005
    With the room at a level of 35% humidity they play like champs!!!
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited June 2005
    Man, I cannot wait to get mine up and going....

SHWEEET.....
  • BobMcG
    edited June 2005
    48hrs at 35% humidity and speaks are still working flawlessly.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2005
    I've got about 15 years at 35% humidity and these are still performing mint-like. Have fun Bob.

George
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2005
    Glad to see you digging them, Bob.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • BobMcG
    edited June 2005
    Thanks George and Troy.

Geesh, the warranty on my new Maytag de-humidifier is only for five years and I declined the extension plan...... :D
    (Yup coulda spent less on one but I looked at them all and the rest were made in China not the US. F-China)

Hey Troy, I hear you were in the right place at the right time eh?
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2005
    For my Amazings? Damn skippy. Literally found them while sitting on the crapper.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2005
    A real Cinderella story.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)