Garage bound SD1A's

Options
turkeykiller
turkeykiller Posts: 15
edited June 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Someone on another forum wanted to see this, so I thought I would post it here.:eek:
It takes one, to know one
Post edited by turkeykiller on

Comments

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited June 2005
    Options
    are they for sale or just being put to their doom?
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Toxis
    are they for sale or just being put to their doom?

Yeah, there's some nice parts in those that are hard to find. Let us know if you're willing to sell them whole or part them out. Hell, just saw the pic, slow connection this morning, that one doesn't look to be in THAT bad of shape.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2005
    Options
    i don't think he has any intention of selling them. his wife i think didn't want them in the house. so to the garage they went. but i think he's holding on to them.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • ND13
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I just hope that it's a climate controlled environment. I would hate to see another pair of SDA's bite the big one.
  • turkeykiller
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I use them all the time, a little under powered in the garage, but they still sound great.
  • turkeykiller
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I think after looking at the pic with the flash shedding some light on them, I'm going to have to clean these bad boys up. Someone told me these are real walnut vaneer, and that not many of them were. Does that sound right?
  • ND13
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by turkeykiller
    I think after looking at the pic with the flash shedding some light on them, I'm going to have to clean these bad boys up. Someone told me these are real walnut vaneer, and that not many of them were. Does that sound right?

Sure looks like veneer to me. My 2A's have the vinyl and don't look like that.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Those speakers deserve a better place than a effing garage!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut

yeah my living room!! :p
  • ND13
    edited June 2005
    Options

Especially the corner he has them placed in.:confused:
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Agreed, a total waste. Sell or give them to someone who will appreciate them, and set them up properly.

Since when did half the male population get castrated by their wives? What the hell is going on?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ND13
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Agreed, a total waste. Sell or give them to someone who will appreciate them, and set them up properly.

Since when did half the male population get castrated by their wives? What the hell is going on?

They give the testes back when they want something for themselves.
  • gshisme
    gshisme Posts: 1,038
    edited June 2005
    Options
    OMG. That pic is sooooooooooooooooooooo sad!
    suds, suds and more suds!
  • ND13
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by gshisme
    OMG. That pic is sooooooooooooooooooooo sad!

It's really hard to hold back the tears. Kinda like the indian in those old litterbug commercials. ;):)
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Whata waste is right.

Make your wife go stand in the corner and set the speaks back up. :)

Seriously though, IF you HAVE to store them. Clean them up! They look like hell already. Place a protective cover like an old comforter or the like over them. And I said them.... where is the other one? Keep them together, protected, check them once in a while and see if they need any attention. Don't loose the cable and don't let the cabinets dry out etc.
    OR: Sell them to a Forum member and let them put 'em to use.

Tell your wife it's up to the Forum when she can come out of the corner. :D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by BobMcG

Tell your wife it's up to the Forum when she can come out of the corner. :D

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited June 2005
    Options
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

YEAH...thats a good one. LMAO!
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • turkeykiller
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I think I will be trying my RT35i's out in the garage and selling the SDA's and my FX500i's. I just REALLY like pissing the neighbors off late at night with the garage door open.
    It will be really hard getting rid of them because I've had them for 20 some years now. I got my first credit card because of them. My friend worked in a stereo store and told me they were selling these cheap because they were demo's. I think I paid $1400 for them. Of course I really wanted the SDA SRS's but those were a little bit too much for me.
    The first thing I played on them was the TELARC Time warp CD.
    A neighbor came over and asked where the hell the explosion came from. He said he had just finished watering his lawn and was going out to push down a sticky sprinkler head when BOOOOM and the thing popped back in to the ground by itself.

To me, they are priceless and I don't know if I will be able to get rid of them, but I'll let the Forum get first dib's on them before I put them on e-bay.
  • danger boy
    edited June 2005
    Options
    i know this isn't all women. but why do women not like speakers? I know it doesn't go with the look of the room.. but SDA's. should be treated like furniture IMHO.

It's not easy moving big SDA's around.. but once set up.. as long as their not in the middle of the room. I don't see why some women have such a problem with speakers?

This isn't aimed at anyone here.. just from what i keep hearing about the WAF is nearly nil unless the speakers are small and out of sight.. out of mind.
  • TnBilly
    TnBilly Posts: 14
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Turkeykiller.........
    small world - back when I was able to shop for my first"decent" set of speakers, I shopped all over the SE wisconsin area and Chicago using - you guessed it. The Time Warp CD..... you wanna try out a set of speakers, it'll definately do it! Craziest thing was outta all the speakers I tried (Literally 100's) only two lines really made the cut. SDA-2's and up and the Snell B,C & D-II's

BTW I recently acquired a set of SDA-1's that look a lot like yours and I'm of the opinion it's a real "Oak" veneer..... there should be a ad stoked away somewhere that described all these options!

Ron