Tweeter/Crossover Upgrades for SDA-2s

Options
schwarcw
schwarcw Posts: 7,328
edited June 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I'm a new SDA owner and new to the forum. I'm interested in learning more about the tweeter and crossover upgrades for my SDA-2s. I've read some of the discussion that is posted and I'm interested in learning more. Any information or experiences. Thanks!
Carl

Post edited by schwarcw on

Comments

• Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I replaced the SL2000 tweeters in my SDA 2a's several months ago and have really liked the difference! The silk replacement tweeters really smooth out the highs! I'm currently hoping to purchase some SDA 1C's and if I do I will replace the tweeters with the silks. I can't help you with the crossover upgrade because it is more than I am willing to do given my lack of experience, however most here have had good results! Do a search for the upgrade as it has been discussed recently.
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited June 2005
    Options
    First, which model "2" do you have?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• schwarcw
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I have the SDA-2s, no A or B designation. The speakers have two tweeters

Carl
    Carl

• F1nut
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Ok, if you have 3 mid-drivers to go with the 2 tweeters then you do indeed have the SDA 2's. Buy the new replacement tweeters, RD0194-1 from Polk. While you're calling Polk ask them to send you the schematic for your speakers in case you want to upgrade the crossovers.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• schwarcw
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Thanks Jesse!

Carl
    Carl

• F1nut
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Carl,

You're more than welcome. Let us know what you think of the new tweeters, but be sure they burn in for a day or two before any critical listening. I looked over the schematic for your speakers and I have to tell you it's hard to read. Ask Ken if he has a clear copy.

President of Club Polk

• TnBilly
    TnBilly Posts: 14
    edited June 2005
    Options
    This thread sorta touched on the subject of ID'n the SDA 2 family I guess so rather than start yet another thread. I bought my SDA-2's new in 86 and at the time my dealer was selling 2 models as best I remember - the ones I bought (dark ash finish, 1 sl2000 and 2 mw6510's) and another model that was in light finish with the grill cloth coming around the side of the speaker. Seems to me it did have 2 sl2000's. Which sda2 would I have then, the sda2b? :confused: The speakers themselves say nothing other than SDA-2 anywhere! Thanks in advance!

Ron
  • F1nut
    edited June 2005
    Options
    If your mid-drivers are both MW6510's you have 2A's. If one is a MW6503 and the other a MW6511 you have 2B's.

President of Club Polk

• TnBilly
    TnBilly Posts: 14
    edited June 2005
    Options
    They're both 6510's so they're SDA-2a's...... thank you!