I need help with my 1.2s and 2.3s

Options
Phil Dawson
Phil Dawson Posts: 288
edited May 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I have a pair of 1.2s I think that have a serial # on one of SDA SRS 2370. The tweeters on these are marked silver coil dome. What exactly are these (model). I also have a pair of 2.3s marked SRS 2.3 tl that have a different tweeter. I assume that these are 2.3tl speakers. Can I/should I upgrade the tweeters in the larger ones (q.2s I think)? Is the tweeter in the 2.3s the sl3000?
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am running these as the fronts and rears in a 5.1 MUSIC system. I currently have the set up as:

LF 1.2 RF 1.2

ME

LR (using R2.3) RR (using L 2.3)

Does this make sense. I finally have some time to play with this system and I would like to get it right.
Thaks, Phil

Music rig:
1.2s front
2.3s rear
2 cs400i center
Shure 12" sub
2 PSE mono blocks and 1 stereo amp front
2 PSE stereo amps rear
1 PSE stereo amp center
Mac 2100 bridged to mono sub
B&K ref 10 upgraded to ref 50 pre/pro
Harmon Kardon Citation tuner
Pioneer tuner for AM
Pioneer DA-45 universal player
Sony X7esD CD player
Technics 1200 TT
PSE pre amp for the analog stuff
Post edited by Phil Dawson on

Comments

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited May 2005
    Options
    The non-TL SRSs (incl. 1.2s) used SL-2000s and the TLs (all) used the SL-3000s. Both are upgradeable by using the RD0194-1's and RD0198's (I believe) respectively.

Edit to include 98
  • Phil Dawson
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Should I try to find sl3000s so that my upgrade would match my 2.3? Is upgradeing these a good idea?
    Thanks, Phil
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Phil,

There are lots of posts on this subject.

I, and others who have replaced their SL3000's with the RD0198, think the RD0198 sounds better. I really can't tell the difference between the two on instrumental music. I heard a very noticeable difference in detail on vocal music.

There is a world of improvement between the SL2000 and the RD0194. I find the RD0194 to be more neutral and accurate. It is more like the SL3000/RD0198 in sound.

Of course, if you like a brighter sound, you might not like the RD0194. Read a few of the old posts for more insight.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Phil Dawson
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Thanks for your input. I have read quite a number of the old posts and I'm still a bit confused (I spend a lot of my life that way).If I replace my sl2000s with the rd1094 is this going to give me a closer sound to the sl3000 tweeters in my 2.3tls? Do I need to redo the crossovers? Am I making too big of a deal about this? Should I just forget about this and live with a system that already sounds great? Should I think about replacing the tweeters in the 2.3s too? Thanks, Phil

P.S. I still need help in trying to identify whether I have 1.2s or the origanal SDA SRS I understand there are driver and cabinet issues.

Music rig:
    1.2s front
    2.3s rear
    2 cs400i center
    Shure 12" sub
    2 PSE mono blocks and 1 stereo amps front
    2 PSE stereo amps rear
    1 PSE stereo amp center
    Mac 2100 bridged to mono sub
    B&K ref 10 upgraded to ref 50 pre/pro
    Harmon Kardon Citation tuner
    Pioneer tuner for AM
    Pioneer DA-45 universal player
    Sony X7esD CD player
    Technics 1200 TT
    PSE pre amp for the analog stuff
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Phil Dawson
    If I replace my sl2000s with the rd1094 is this going to give me a closer sound to the sl3000 tweeters in my 2.3tls?
    Yes.
    Do I need to redo the crossovers?
    No.
    Am I making too big of a deal about this? Should I just forget about this and live with a system that already sounds great?
    No and No.
    Should I think about replacing the tweeters in the 2.3s too?
    It is a subjective matter of listening preferences.
    I still need help in trying to identify whether I have 1.2s or the origanal SDA SRS I understand there are driver and cabinet issues.
    The SRS uses a blade/blade interconnect cable. The 1.2 uses a pin/blade interconnect cable.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited May 2005
    Options
    P.S. I still need help in trying to identify whether I have 1.2s or the origanal SDA SRS...

The origanals have an 'exit only' warning just above the port on rear of the cabinet. However, many if not most owners disregard the warning and with excellent results.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790