sub

2-tall
2-tall Posts: 98
edited May 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Hi ,I have 3.1tl's and have been using a Velodyne 1210 sub with them because the tl,s never put out enough base.Well my sub quit on me and I need to know if there is someone that can fix it or is it even worth it.If not what advice does anyone have on another sub that is reasonably priced that will give great base response?
Thanks
Post edited by 2-tall on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2005
    For around $400 there are some nice offerings from Hsu and SVS. I'd use that price to see if your Velo repair option makes sense.

That said, kinda surprised to read that you find the 3.1's lacking... bass monsters they are not, but there's more than a little capability there.

Are you talking music or movies (or both)? What size room?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • 2-tall
    edited May 2005
    My room is 13x23 with 9 foot ceilings. These speakers have never put out on the low end.Is there something wrong to begin with?I looked at the Tweeter web site last night and saw that they carry Polk subs.Are they better than the velodyne ?I am thinking of going there today.
    thanks
  • 2-tall
    edited May 2005
    I am listening to more music than movies.
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2005
    Pushing 2700 cu ft plus openings... that's big sub territory, at least for movies where you're looking to pressurize the room. Not as true for music where you don't necessarily want to feel the bass.

Polk improved their sub line last year, but is still not considered the equal of the other offerings I mentioned earlier.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • 2-tall
    edited May 2005
    Why is it that the 3.1tl's do not put out much in the way of bass?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2005
    Curious what you are driving them with, whats in the rig?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • 2-tall
    edited May 2005
    A caver with 225 watts per channel.The3.1tl's have always seemed a bit on the bright side with not enough bass.
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2005
    Good question, Russ. Kinda had that in the back of my mind in my first reply, but, of course, I forgot it later...

2-tall,
    Assume you mean Carver. Sounds like a TFM-25... yes?

As to why the bass is lacking... AS Russ was getting to you could be underpowering them. With 225 wpc, you are in the low end of the right neighborhood though. More amp might help, but before running after more amp there's a few things to check out.

Are you using the SDA interconnect?

Are the 3.1's on carpet? If yes, are they spiked? If not, they may be moving and that's wasted energy that would go to bass.

Are the cabinets well sealed? With the system turned off, push gently on the Passive Radiator (PR) and hold it in. All the Mis-Woofers (MW's) should move out and hold until you release the PR. (They may slowly retreat to their starting position while you're still holding in the PR, but if they do it should be very slowly.) If they are leaking significantly, again that's wasted bass energy.

When you do push on the PR's listen for any noise from the MW's. If any make a scratchy noise, they either are gone or soon will be and the bass output is suffering.

Not completely sure what to make of your "bright" characterization. With the SL3000 tweeter employed, the tl series was by far the least bright of the SDA's. But with bass truly lacking, they would come off that way...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli