SRS 2.3 for sale

Options
fatvoodoo
fatvoodoo Posts: 7
edited June 2005 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Hi all, although I am new to this forum I am a long-time Polk owner/enthusiast. Back in 1990 I had my monitor 10s stolen along with my whole stack of equipment. Using the generous insurance money I bought a pair of SRS 2.3 speakers used, from their original owner. They have been sitting in my home mostly unused for 10+ years, since I am living overseas most of the time. Rather large paperweights in my book, and so I think it is time to sell them. It pains me to part with them, they are in excellent shape, but... well...

Can folks help me to correctly identify them? Is there any information I should include? hmmm... I am located just outside Boston, for local pick-up. I replaced one tweeter on these speakers 14 years ago, but otherwise everything has been perfect. They have never seen more than 200w/channel through them, and so I can't imagine there are any abuse-issues.

Once I get them properly identified and some photos posted, I would like to either get a good offer from other users on this forum, or perhaps post them on ebay.

Thanks,
Ethan
Post edited by fatvoodoo on

Comments

• bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Tear him up...boys.
  • rnp614
    rnp614 Posts: 598
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I can see the wall cloud forming...batten down the hatches folks there is a good chance a twister is coming through these parts. :eek:
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Would you guys at least take the time to point out to the newbies where they're going wrong, instead of just saying, "This isn't going to end well" (I'm putting it in nicer terms)

To fatvoodoo-

If you want to sell the speakers here, post pictures, and set a price. We will not "offer" you money. You post a price, we decide if we want to buy. Also, 1-post sellers are not highly regarded, though with local-pickup (obviously needed for speakers such as these) you are more likely to sell them here (with cash-on-pickup, obviously).

So-

Post pictures

Set your price

Don't take them to eBay if you're going to offer them here, and don't expect much interest from this group if you're taking them to eBay. We don't bid against each other.

Have a good one,

nadams
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Yes, some of us will be happy to help.
    We're not all sore **** here.

1. Are all the drivers identical? if so, you have 2.3TL's.
    If a couple of the drivers are different, as in , they have what looks like a thick 45 single glued to them, you have the standard 2.3
    which is less desired than the 2.3TL

2. What type of wood do they appear to be made out of Oak? (light colored, coarser grain) or Walnut, (darker finer grained.)

3. Do you have the interconnect cable, that connects the two speakers together?
    This is important, as it enables the SDA efect, and is no longer available from Polk.

4. Overall condition of wood and fabric will be a determining value factor. Rate them _out of 10

5. Are all tweeters and drivers original Polk issue? even the one you replaced?
    The speakers functionality is important,
    is everything working properly?

Answer these questions for us and we will be happy to give you an aproximate value.
    Value, of course is determined by the buyer, not the seller.

After you have established a price point for the speakers, let us know, and post some pictures of them.
    We of course would like to see the speakers stay in the big Polk brotherhood.
    So we hope you will offer them up here first.
    If you can't get a sale, of course you should try other venues.

-Luc

Originally posted by fatvoodoo
    Can folks help me to correctly identify them? Is there any information I should include? hmmm...
    Once I get them properly identified and some photos posted, I would like to either get a good offer from other users on this forum, or perhaps post them on ebay.

Thanks,
    Ethan
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited May 2005
    Options
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I have polks to sell. I don't know what to ask. I want to give a fair price and have people who want them to get them.

Why can't I come to the polk site (obviously) without being abused???

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax
    Why can't I come to the polk site (obviously) without being abused???
    madmax

Because we are sadistic.:)
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Ethan,

Like nadams said.. the way to a Polkies heart it to post pictures.. lots of them.. set a price you want for them. This is NOT EBAY... we do not sell items here on a auction basis.

If you're asking price is to high... people here will let you know. Speakers, lilke most everything else.... drops in price on the used market. Whether they were used for all those 15 yrs, or only for 1 week in 15 yrs.

Local pick up is prefrerred... because damage can happen pretty easily to speakers that large. So make sure you post your location too. Not to mention, very expensive to ship.

The great thing about selling and buying from the Polk Folks is that you can be assured they will be cherrished... and not abused.

Finally, if you just can't decide what price to ask... check Ebay for the exact model.. and set accordingly.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Good luck.
  • danger boy
    edited May 2005
    Options
    LOL

plus. doesn't it say which model they are on the back of each speaker? turn it around.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Version numbers are often omitted from the labels on the backs of SDAs. My SDA 1C's are labeled "SDA 1". My SDA 1.2TL's are labeled "SRS 1.2".
  • fatvoodoo
    edited May 2005
    Options
    To all those (such as Luc) who were nice and helpful, thank you! Here are some answers that will help get things rolling.

First of all, pictures!
    http://www.yoyaya.com/polk/FrameSet.htm

These are definitely 2.3TL speakers. Says so on the back. Of course I checked this before, but I didn't know how many variations there are so I wanted to ask the forum about identifying them.

The drivers all sure look identical to me, check the photos to confirm.

The wood appears to be a walnut vaneer.

Of course I have the interconnect cable, and the effect works well on both speakers. All the components are working! I replaced one tweeter on the right speaker, the original tweeters have a black tint, the replacement is more silver. I called Polk for the replacement, and they sent me one for free so obviously it is a Polk factory stock.

Wood I would rate an 8 out of 10. A faint scratch on the top of the left speaker (seen but not felt), and the vaneer is pulling up just a red c-hair on the right speaker in one small spot.

Fabric I would rate a 9 out of 10, really these have been babied.

I would like to get $1000 for these speakers. Is this reasonable?

Ethan
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Seems pretty fair to me. Good description and pics. Everything a polkie could ask for.

RT1
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Ethan-

Very nice man.
    Good description and pictures. $1k is a reasonable price.

What are you waiting for guys? Step up.

-Luc

Ethan
  • danger boy
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I know that TL stand for tri laminate.. but what else does the TL series offer over non TL versions? Just curious.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Would you be willing to ship or hand delivery them to Kansas City? :p I'd love to have these but just to far for me to go pick up... plus, I don't really have anywhere to put them...
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2005
    Options
    and even though it might be a good price, 1K is alot of money just to drop on vintage speakers.. Not to hinder the sale here or say they arent worth it, Its alot of cash for people here to spend.. me included
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,189
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I think $1k is a little too high. I've seen pairs of SDA-SRS 1.2 sell for that much or less in the past couple months. Fair market I guess. If someone here wants to pay that much, great for fatvoodoo, but he needs to keep an open mind to lower offers.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • reeltrouble1
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by billbillw
    I think $1k is a little too high. I've seen pairs of SDA-SRS 1.2 sell for that much or less in the past couple months. Fair market I guess. If someone here wants to pay that much, great for fatvoodoo, but he needs to keep an open mind to lower offers.

Errr........................My Ga. brother, I was following SDA-SRS pretty close till last January when I bagged some and regular SRS were 1200-1500 on a number of ebay sales. Unless something has changed over the past few months anything less than a grand for SRS is a defenite bargain. SRS 1.2 and 1.2tl were going for upwards of 2000-2500. Now these are not SRS but hey I think its a pretty fair price and he said thats what he "wants" to get for them.

RT1
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited May 2005
    Options
    1K is a very fair price, you cheap a$$ ****'s!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Ethan

I guess it depends on one's perspective. If you don't get any offers here at your asking price today, I'd suggest putting an ad on Audiogon with your pictures, specifically stating that they are 2.3TL speakers, and set your initial asking price at least at $1250. For the performance, the speakers are a steal even at that price. The drawback is that they are larger than what most people in the market for speakers these days are used to. Mark them for local pickup only too.
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited May 2005
    Options
    This is a fair price. I have the same pair and they sound great. Gotta go Fed ex man is here. PS audio speaker cables.

JT
  • fatvoodoo
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Thanks to all the replies. I was originally going to post that I wanted these to go to a good home, but it seemed too sappy. I found out that UPS will ship these if needed, for $150 each, but I really don't like that idea. I think if no one steps up from this forum I will just post them on Ebay and ask for local pickup. I like the idea of someone hearing them play and confirming they work well before they go bouncing off on a truck to who knows where.
  • billbillw
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by reeltrouble1
    Errr........................My Ga. brother, I was following SDA-SRS pretty close till last January when I bagged some and regular SRS were 1200-1500 on a number of ebay sales. Unless something has changed over the past few months anything less than a grand for SRS is a defenite bargain. SRS 1.2 and 1.2tl were going for upwards of 2000-2500. Now these are not SRS but hey I think its a pretty fair price and he said thats what he "wants" to get for them.

RT1

Don't you remember these threads?

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27903
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28444

In both cases SDA SRS sold for less than $900
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Thanks to all the replies. I was originally going to post that I wanted these to go to a good home, but it seemed too sappy. I found out that UPS will ship these if needed, for $150 each, but I really don't like that idea. I think if no one steps up from this forum I will just post them on Ebay and ask for local pickup. I like the idea of someone hearing them play and confirming they work well before they go bouncing off on a truck to who knows where.

It's only been a few hours. I don't think UPS will ship these.
    JT
  • billbillw
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by jtgranby
    It's only been a few hours. I don't think UPS will ship these.
    JT

I think UPS has 150 lbs. weight limit. These would be VERY close to their weight limit with packaging, maybe more. Either way, it would be a very risky proposition shipping these. There has to be enough interest within driving distance of Boston.
    Fatvoodoo, just give it a few days here, then try Audiogon for local pickup only. Audiogon is only $4 for a listing on the classifieds. Someone will grab these, no doubt.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Used pricing on ANYTHING has highs and lows.

1000.00 for these speakers is a good fair price.

Why not post the auctions and ads where they asked or got 1500-2000.00 bucks and say this is a great deal, makes as much sense as posting links to two "steals" and stating 1K is a little too high?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71571&item=5749106442&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

SDA 1A's for 1200.00, These are a good deal! Posted just to show how single examples don't show the whole story
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • billbillw
    edited May 2005
    Options

That listing has become a running joke around here. They guy has had that up for months and is clueless.

Asking price does not equal selling price. Hey, obviously I'm outnumbered here compared to those who think this is a fair price. I was just pointing out that some SRS have sold for less recently.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by billbillw
    That listing has become a running joke around here. They guy has had that up for months and is clueless.

Asking price does not equal selling price. Hey, obviously I'm outnumbered here compared to those who think this is a fair price. I was just pointing out that some SRS have sold for less recently.

Your missing the point. Nevermind...................
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Guess i shoulda snagged the 2.3's for 250 when i coulda got em local.. just needed some tlc and tweeters:(
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp