CRS's crossover resistor ohm rating?

Options
Tony M
Tony M Posts: 11,017
edited May 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I finally started looking into my crs's operation .I had to replace a woofer and after doing so I had low sound output . I remember the pawn shop only had 1 fuse in each speaker. I took out the extra fuse I had put in each and the sound came alive . Now one tweeter didn't work. I opened up the cab. and saw a wire hanging . This wire was blue and it went to the sda crossover. ( I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WERE TWO CROSSOVERS) :confused: COOL:D .I reattached it .Well I had one working and it served to be my example to compare the other to. Some person had soldered speaker wires to the white wires coming out of the main choke? I think that's what it's called.One speaker wire went to the blue wire that was hanging loose (???) and the other one went to the cer. resit. combo. I cut the extra speaker wires out because they seemed not to be needed compared to the other ,nothing changed . There was a burned out resistor ( ceramic 7/8'' long )with a cap. on top( it looked good) in the example speaker.I cut the burned combo out and touched a fuse between the wires and the tweeter came alive again.I need an ohm reading to replace it by. I saw the rebuild proj. on this so I know I'm close to getting answers. Thanks for any links or info.
Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
Post edited by Tony M on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2005
    Options
    There are three pairs of parallel caps and resistors in the CRS.

The two pairs in parallel with the two tweeters are 27 micro-farads and 2.7-ohm (5 watt).

The pair in series with the stereo tweeters is 0.5 microfarads and 5.6-ohm (5 watt).

It would be a good idea to have the schematic mailed to you by Customer Service.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Thank you,
    I'll call POLK cust. serv. monday. I love the sound coming from them already . I don't even have the sda effect going on yet and only the one woofer and tweeter in each except the one cab. has no tweeter now. I definitely want to do this repair right!!!
    Someday I'll post up a response, and my quest for bigger and better will have begun ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.