edited May 2005 in Vintage Speakers

-fredv-
Post edited by fredv on

Comments

• michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited May 2005
    Options
    They look like RTA12's that are 10" too short with no tweeter on top of the cabinet....
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited May 2005
    Options
    That's the LF-14 a beautiful vintage Polk LF "subwoofer". It originally was paired with a set of Monitor 4's as part of a satellite system.

Think of it as an RTA-12 minus the tweeter and crossover.

Here's another current auction with more pics although he's got Monitor 5's. The first time around he had no bids and is asking $99 + $99 shipping. If you look carefully you can see the connection diagram on the back of the cabinet. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5769978448
  • Polk65
    edited May 2005
    Options
  • Polk65
    edited May 2005
    Options
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Been a long time since I had an Anchor Steam...

Unusual to see one LF-14, let alone two together.

Note that they are slightly different: one with logo on cabinet and short grill, and the other with logo on the full grill. Did not realize they made more than one model...

As for that other trio not selling, I'm shocked that the Bose comparison did not bring bids in droves...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited May 2005
    Options
    looks like mismatched speakers. Look at the grill holes.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Polk65
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Anyone know the story with the switches? Are they cut offs or for selecting single/dual LF-14's? I've only read some speculation but nothing solid.

Regarding the auction with two LF-14's, the cab on the right without the logo is identical to my RTA-12 (pre- 12a, 12b, 12c). In the Polk parts list, the LF-14 is listed with the Monitors not the RTA...

You noticed his "like Bose" comparison? Check out his previous auction with $899 BIN price. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5769978448

Anchor still tastes the same but Fritz changed the caps to screw-offs a few months ago. Not only does this cheapen this brew imho, but I don't get nearly as much excercise looking for then using the bottle opener. BTW, Shiner finally came out here around 2001. :)
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Shiner Bock rules...

Toxis, really aren't meant to be paired... at least it's not a must.

P-65,
    Search on LF-14, if you have not already done so. These have come up at least twice before, and I want to say the switches were discussed one time.

I don't remember seeing connections schematics as clear as in this ebay listing. Looks like set ups for both a stereo pair of 14's and a single one with stereo satellites.

If the search fails to shed more light, ask Ken Swauger if he has a copy of the manual and/or schematics that he can send you.

And yes, it's based on the "Monitor" RTA 12. The RTA 12 was a part of the monitor series and predated what became the RTA series... But is not to be confused with the Monitor 12 which came later as well and had its tweeter in the cabinet. Always good for a little head scratching 'round here.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Wow... center channel operation? Early HT?
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Center channel operation has been around a long time and had NOTHING to do with HT. I had a Fisher 500c tube receiver a long time ago. It had a center channel pre-amp out RCA on the **** end. That was to facilitate a center channel speaker, in the event you had to place your speakers so far apart that there was a "hole" in the middle of the presentation.

The first center channel speaker may well have been the Klipsch "Heresy" which was designed just for that purpose. Klipsch speakers required corner placement. If you had a really large room, there was going to be a hole in the presentation.

And that's a fact Jack.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Did not know that about the Heresy. I'd always assumed it was just Klipsch's old school, entry level speaker.

nadams,
    The LF-14 is a precursor of today's subwoofers. One of them would be paired with other Monitors in a sub-sat arrangement. Normally the 14 would be in the middle of the trio of speakers.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• George Grand
    edited May 2005
    Options
    It got the name Heresy from the amount of bass that came out of such a small cabinet.

The name was probably re-thought when the AR-3 was released, showing just how much deep bass could really come out of a small cabinet.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2005
    Options
    you can always count on George Grand to set the record straight. and learn a little stereo history 101.

:cool:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • George Grand
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Thanks man, that was nice of you.

George
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited May 2005
    Options
    There was a thread here on the LF14 a while back. I have one of these (one of the first sold, from Soundscape in Balto.) and I sent scans of the manual to someone here. I can send 'em to you if you need info on mono vs. stereo use and the "high and low efficiency" switch.
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited May 2005
    Options
  • BobMcG
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Sorry, just got in and too tired to go upstairs and take close up of rear label.
  • BobMcG
    edited May 2005
    Options
  • BobMcG
    edited May 2005
    Options
  • BobMcG
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Left one: Mode switch. Up for Center Channel (using one sub), down for Stereo (a pair).

Right one: Efficiency switch. Up for High, down for Low.

For Center Channel: Make sure there is no connector between the two black posts and hook the amp's two channels to the two pairs of posts (red+). Hook up your other speakers (sats) as normal.

For Stereo: Connect each amp channel to the left channels of each sub (red+). Connect the two black posts together with a jumper.

Of course in either Mode, you select the Efficiency you like best.
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Mating them with the 4's makes more sense than the 5's in the ebay ad.

Thanks, Bob...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Polk65
    edited May 2005
    Options
    (for future searches) here's a previous thread that discussed and has scans of the LF-14 manual.http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=23558

Bob, is that from an old magazine ad or a Polk brochure? Great stuff !!
  • BobMcG
    edited May 2005
    Options
    From a Polk brochure.