Wtb: F/x 1000

tomar
tomar Posts: 4
Hi

I am looking to buy a pair of F/X1000 surrounds. If anyone is looking to sell, or if you know of anyone who is selling, please let me know via email or PM.

Thanks
Post edited by tomar on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2005
    Sure thing... you bet...

Nothing gives us more pleasure than hooking up a one-post wonder...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited April 2005
    Seriously...was that response necessary? Why not try to help him instead of being so vicious?
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2005
    That vicious? Sarcastic, yes, but vicous??? Not even close...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2005
    Welcome to the forum tomar. You might try to look for that speaker model using the search function.

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited April 2005
    Ok, how about rude...is that close?
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2005
    have you tried ebay, audiogon and videogon? there usually arent alot of those models floating around so you will probably have better luck there. you also might want to try www.craigslist.com for local sales, but no guarentee that you will find anything decent there
  • tomar
    edited April 2005
    Thanks for the welcome and your suggestions. I have tried searching this forum, as well as eBay and Audiogon but I have not found any sellers. Videogon and www.craigslist.com are new to me so I will have to give then a try.
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited April 2005
    Tomar, good luck. It took me several months of serious trying before I found a deal that was both reasonable and what I was looking for.
    FX1000's are not easy to part with once someone gets them.
    Do you have the rest of the system?
    What are you going to power them with?
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2005
    videogon is supposed to be for video stuff only, and is geared more towards HT, but sometimes people list things there that probably should be on audiogon. considering that f/x speakers are geared towards surround only i guess videogon is a good place for them.
  • tomar
    edited April 2005
    Skynut - I have a pair of RT55i's for my mains, CS400i for my center, and a pair of FX500i's for my surrounds. Everything is being power with an Onkyo receiver. I am in a transition phase where I am considering upgrading my system. I have no problems with my mains or my center, but I would like better surrounds. I figure a pair FX1000s would be a good match for my existing setup.
  • Skynut
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by Airplay355
    videogon is supposed to be for video stuff only, and is geared more towards HT, but sometimes people list things there that probably should be on audiogon. considering that f/x speakers are geared towards surround only i guess videogon is a good place for them.

Ok too cool, I have been to audiogon hundreds of times and never even knew there was a videogon.

Thanks
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • Skynut
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by tomar
    Skynut - I have a pair of RT55i's for my mains, CS400i for my center, and a pair of FX500i's for my surrounds. Everything is being power with an Onkyo receiver. I am in a transition phase where I am considering upgrading my system. I have no problems with my mains or my center, but I would like better surrounds. I figure a pair FX1000s would be a good match for my existing setup.

I just upgraded my system to the RT5000 minus the sub. Before that I had the RT2000p's, CS400i and the FX500's.
    I am still using the 500's for the surround and I put the FX1000's on each side of the t.v. to enhance my center.
    I am totally happy. (in case I haven't mentioned that yet)
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    edited April 2005
    hey tomar

just my .02 for what its worth.

i'm wondering if the big money you would spend on FX1000's would not be better invested in your system. I think of you got the 1000's, they would be the most expensive set of speakers in your whole theater. most money spent on surrounds? doesnt seem right

am i coming out of left field here?, i've seem 1000's going for 600.00 at least, if not MUCH more!

P.P.S. hey bdaley6509, i'm sure Tomar is a big Boy/Girl (dont know which :p ), i'm sure he/she can handle his/her own affairs.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited April 2005
    I'd suggest getting an SPL Meter and doing a very thorough calibration before investing in bigger surrounds.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited April 2005
    I agree. You have a nice setup, get serious in setup before you invest.

It's a shame alot of folks waste money on the bigger is better approach. However, I do think it's well spent in other areas...never surrounds.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Skynut
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    I agree. You have a nice setup, get serious in setup before you invest.

It's a shame alot of folks waste money on the bigger is better approach. However, I do think it's well spent in other areas...never surrounds.

This sounds right to me also. Unless you have a real big room, the 500's should be putting out plenty of sound in the back. If they are lacking you might want to think about re-aiming them, upgrading the receiver, or adding an amp.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited April 2005
    Skynut,
    Aiming Bi-pole/dipole speakers is not possible.

Calibration and placement are the two areas that need to be addressed before any money is spent on anything else.

http://www.audiophilia.com/hardware/spl.htm

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/library/hthandbook.php

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/faqad/advice.php?article=placement

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/faqad/advice.php?article=optimizeroom
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited April 2005
    Welcome tomar,

Everyone here had 3 posts at one point in time. Good luck.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited April 2005
    I thought bigger was better and went from rti28's to 38's.. the rti38 is hugely oversized for a surround, didnt make much difference and looked out of place on the side walls.. I removed them and installed them in thier box in the closet :D and went back to the rti28's... The fx1000's are huge, and unless your room is very big and even at that id say get the fx500i's (was that a model?) or the fx300's and call it a day.. if you can find em. Surrounds aren't so critical as mains and center IMO... important but not a main focus.. the material that is sent to them is sporatic and never at any intensity for any length of time.. well you get my point
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Spawndn72
    Spawndn72 Posts: 453
    edited April 2005
    Wow, look, somone who took the inital hazing and got some good advice. We need to save this thread and use it as a model. ;)

My 2 cents is that for the cash those fx1000's are going to cost you could get some serious amp's to run those fronts with and use the reciever to power the surronds. Take a look at outlaw's website. By relieving the stress off that onkyo you should see some more power going to the rears. Not a ton more, but it will sound better.

Goodlck,
    Todd
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2005
    Geeez, I can't believe everyone's starting to dis the 1000's. Is this a case of 1000 envy?
  • Skynut
    edited April 2005
    I think a bigger picture might help. :confused:

Are those considered wallnut or cherry?
    I have the same ones and thought they were cherry but they do not have the red I thought they would have.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited April 2005
    They are black.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Skynut
    edited April 2005
    must be the light.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • tomar
    edited April 2005
    Let me try to explain my thought process a little more…

The problem I have with the FX500i model (my current surrounds) is that they only have one midrange per speaker. I have this nagging feeling that I am missing something by not having a pair of midranges on each speaker like most of the current bipole speakers on the market. I have tried a couple of speaker positions listed in the manual with varying results.

Originally, I had my 500’s in dipole mode placed to the side and above my listening position. The area behind me usually lacked sound. I have always thought that this was because the sound aimed towards the rear of the room was produced by a single tweeter. Most of the sound from the speaker was aimed at the front of the room since that was the side with the single midrange.

Then I tried placing the 500’s to the side and behind my listening position in bipole mode. That solved the lack of sound problem in the rear but my room layout makes this positioning inconvenient.

I thought that the 1000’s would allow me to place the surrounds conveniently on the side walls while providing a rear sound field I felt as though I was missing. Since this is an older model, I figured I might get a good deal on a pair.

I really appreciate all of your suggestions and advice. I am still learning so I welcome other points of view.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited April 2005
    At the risk of mismatching...

What do you feel about having towers for surrounds?

I know of a pair of Bipolar towers that cost less than the FX1000 by half...

You can look into it, its the Def Tech BP8 or BP8B, it will have a similar tone to your speakers with the tri lam...

However, it will be like having full range surrounds as they are pretty strong down to 30hz...

And, the old RT finish had a purple look to it when in extreme light. FWIW
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited April 2005
    Trey his whole post revolves around wanting bigger surrounds But also matching to what he has, Now why would he want towers much less from a different company for his surrounds?

Im sure the def techs are nice, but why go change to another company for one set of speakers when everything else matches in his HT setting.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2005
    Yep, those are black to match the black ls90's up front. I've settled on bi-pole setting as my favorite. I occasionally will run dipole, but in a 7.1 setup I don't feel it's needed as much as before. As for Tomar, I'd say go ahead and make the plunge to 7.1. Pick up a 400i for back surround or some other timbre matched bookshelves and your problems solved. A decent 7.1 receiver should cost about the same as a pair of fx1000's.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited April 2005
    Well, obviously he feels his current surrounds are NOT doing the job they need to do. OBVIOUSLY he cant find a pair of FX1000...

Obviously what I recomended cost HALF what the FX1000 goes for!

The sound traits are similar, both are metal domes, and both are at similar eff. The towers just go 10-20hz lower.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2005
    Jeezuz Sid, I could rattle off about 300 pairs of speakers that he could use. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Again, think before posting.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut