Monitor 4 help

Spawndn72
Spawndn72 Posts: 453
edited April 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I wsa looking at vinyl at the goodwill store today and just happened upon a pair of monitor 4 speakers. $5.00 for the pair.

Got them home and one works perfect the other does nothing. When you push in on the woofer it feels like it drags on something, Very crunchy. So I guess it is blown.

Now for the questions.

What can I check on the woofer, tweeter, and crossover to see which ones are ok and which are screwed?

Thanks,
Todd
Setup:
Adcom GFA-545 amp
Nad 1600 pre
Dual 704 TT
Pioneer 707 R2R
Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
Polk SDA-2 Mains
Post edited by Spawndn72 on

Comments

• hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited April 2005
    Switch the drivers in the one you know is good to the other cabinet to check the xover in it. If they work in it then the other is good and you just need the drivers. I am sure that one of us here on the board can help with helping you locate replacment drivers.
    What tweeter do they have?
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited April 2005
    Monitor 4's can have one of three tweeters. see the parts list for info http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/service/models/modelpartslist.php3?model=monitor

The RD0202-1 is a square tweeter, and the SL1000 and SL2000 are rectangular. You can tell between the 1000 and 2000 by pulling them out and looking on the back... there should be some notation. Looks like it'll either have the 6500 or the 6502 for the woofer, and I'm not sure if either of those are still in production, or if they have a replacement available.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Spawndn72
    edited April 2005
    Ok, the crossover still works, and both the tweeter and the woofer are blown. The tweeter is square, so I guess that makes it the RD0202-1. The woofer is the MW6502. The tweeter does not have the model number on it so I will attach a of pic just to make sure.
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited April 2005
    Yep, that's the RD0202-1, which also matches up with the MW6502. Did you hook the tweeter and woofer up to the amp directly just to be sure that they don't work? Sounds like the voice coil on the woofer shifted and locked up... if the speaker was dropped, the tweeter probably has the same treatment. Contact Polk CS and mention that you're a Club Polk member. They should be able to hook you up!

Alternatively, you could try to fix the drivers yourself. Since they're already dead, no harm can be done. Somtimes you can nudge the VC back into alignment and everything will be cool. Other times, you can't.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Spawndn72
    edited April 2005
    I tried a little of everything. I hooked them directly to the amp and got nothing, I put them in the other cabinet(working) and got nothing. I put the working drivers in the non working cabniet and it worked. So it is defenatly the driver and the tweeter. However I have figured out that the driver is the same as the driver in my monitor 7's. So if all else fails, I got a backup driver for my 7's for $5.

Exacly how would you nudge the voice coil back into place?
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • Spawndn72
    edited April 2005
    Never mind, I just looked a little closer. The voice coil is seperated from the woofer.
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Polk SDA-2 Mains