Toshiba SD9200 Refrence DVD Audio/Video Player

Options
lupodwdm
lupodwdm Posts: 29
edited April 2005 in Flea Market
Hello all!

I'm selling my beloved Toshiba SD-9200 refrence DVD Audio/Video player. This unit is in PERFECT condition and will ship in the origional box with the included remote. If your a fan of high end DVD Audio or video players then you know about this unit. I'm selling for $400 plus shipping.

Or best offer.

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalsourcereviews/407/index.html
Post edited by lupodwdm on

Comments

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited April 2005
    Options
    does it play SACD?
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • lupodwdm
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Unfortunatly, SACD is the one thing it doesn't play. However, it plays DVD Audio exceptionally well. If you buy this player, I suggest you get a copy of Bjork - Vespertene 96k/24bit. I have NEVER heard DVD Audio sound better. Let me know if you have any other questions.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    edited April 2005
    Options
    It may be a good idea to let forum members know if this unit has had the rubber dampers replaced on the transport mechanism. I bought the parts online and replaced the parts in mine last year after putting up with the transport rumble for a long time, which sooner or later happens on all of these. The original dampers were too soft and would loosen up over time causing the transport to vibrate. It had no effect on sound quality though. The replacement parts were a pain to put in, and I'd recommend it be sent to a repair shop if someone isn't very patient and/or familiar with how transport mechanisms work.

On the bright side, this is an excellent DVD-A player in two channel or multichannel, way better than the Denon 2900. It would also make an excellent CD transport and is a very good CD player by itself. There was a reason this unit cost $2000 when it was first introduced. The inside is almost entirely copper, with excellent isolation of the power supply and circuitry. The direct mode for audio really works well on this one. Video is on par with what was available a few years ago.

Good price.
  • lupodwdm
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the imput on this. You hit on a VERY frustrating problem with selling this unit.

No, the dampeners have never been replaced. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that have not been bothered by this issue yet. It has happened a few times, usually only when a disk would spin up, then it would quiet back down to normal once it was playing.

You at least relalize how high quailty this unit is. Most people who do not know this unit, do a google search to see if they can get it cheaper then what I'm selling it for, then stumble oppon the issue of the dampeners with this model. However, they don't take the time to research it more to see that it does not have any effect on sound or video quality, it's strictly an issue of if the sound the transport makes, and that it can be remedied by contacting toshiba and getting new dampeners. The cost of which, given the low price I'm selling this unit for, still puts a person WAY a head of the curve on price/performance.

Sorry about my rant, but it's tough enough letting this player go for so little money, only to be constantly dealing with this issue also.

If anyone has any questions for me about this player, feel free to contact me.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by lupodwdm
    Sorry about my rant, but it's tough enough letting this player go for so little money, only to be constantly dealing with this issue also.

I understand. The parts, which are four little rubber pieces, can be ordered from vendors on Toshiba's service Web site for about $17, plus shipping comes out to be around $25 usually. The repair was worthwhile, but I would recommend if someone attempts this to draw a diagram of how parts and screws fit together. There aren't that many parts, but getting them back together requires some manual dexterity. Unfortunately for me I didn't follow my own advice and it took me a couple of hours to fit everything back together without any spare screws left over.
  • lupodwdm
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Here are some pics of the unit. E-mail me with any questions.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited April 2005
    Options
    if it played SACD, I would've already bought it. Sorry.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • lupodwdm
    edited April 2005
    Options
    If it played SACD, I wouldn't be selling it. :D

i do have a Sony SACD player for sale if anyone is intrested.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited April 2005
    Options
    ....and price please.

thanks

-Luc

Originally posted by lupodwdm
    If it played SACD, I wouldn't be selling it. :D

i do have a Sony SACD player for sale if anyone is intrested.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited April 2005
    Options
    ....I have to say, I love my 9200, a real classy unit. But it has been making
    "the noise" for a year or more now.
    As is my buddy's.
    I did get the extended warranty and I thought I would wait til it exploded or something, but it never does.
    And as you mentioned, it doesn't seem to affect the video or audio.
    I would sure like to get rid of the growl however, and may have to have you talk me through it.

-Luc
    Originally posted by Emlyn
    It may be a good idea to let forum members know if this unit has had the rubber dampers replaced on the transport mechanism. I bought the parts online and replaced the parts in mine last year after putting up with the transport rumble for a long time, which sooner or later happens on all of these. The original dampers were too soft and would loosen up over time causing the transport to vibrate. It had no effect on sound quality though. The replacement parts were a pain to put in, and I'd recommend it be sent to a repair shop if someone isn't very patient and/or familiar with how transport mechanisms work.

On the bright side, this is an excellent DVD-A player in two channel or multichannel, way better than the Denon 2900. It would also make an excellent CD transport and is a very good CD player by itself. There was a reason this unit cost $2000 when it was first introduced. The inside is almost entirely copper, with excellent isolation of the power supply and circuitry. The direct mode for audio really works well on this one. Video is on par with what was available a few years ago.

Good price.
  • lupodwdm
    edited April 2005
    Options