Peerless???

halo
halo Posts: 5,616
edited April 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I just snagged a set of Monitor 10's on ebay. The description read: Pair of Polk Audio studio monitor 10 speakers with original boxes. Driver Complement: Subwoofer 1- 10" Diameter (25.4cm) sub bass radiator Midrange 2 - 6 1/2" Diameter (16.51cm) drivers Tweeter 1 - 1" Diameter (2.54cm) Polk SL2500 Electrical: Overall Frequency Response 25Hz - 25kHz Recommended Amp. Power 20-250 w/channel Dims: 28"H x 15" W x 12" D

Are these the peerless tweeters?
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
Post edited by halo on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2005
    if they have the dimple in the middle of them. you bet your **** they are. :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited April 2005
    One on the left is peerless, one on the right is an sl1000 I believe but I am not sure if it is peerless or not. Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I would inclined to say that the orginal tweeters in those where both meant to be the peerless that is in the left speaker. Nice snag, what did they set you back?

HWM
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited April 2005
    The hole is not always present on a Peerless tweeter, but it's usually an indicator nonetheless.

The picture shows both a Peerless and an SL1000....you're gonna have a problem.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • halo
    edited April 2005
    Should I be looking for a used set on ebay, does anyone on the forum have an extra one they'd like to sell me, or should I go for the new replacement - model RD 0194-1???

I wouldn't have this problem if you'd sold me yours doro.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2005
    Peersool - LOL, I know :) If you are really into them, I'll consider shipping, but you will be paying for it obviously.

You can't upgrade to the RD0194 because the tweeter isn't the same size as the SL1000 or Peerless. If you are good with a router, you could enlarge the cutout, but that's a serious task.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • halo
    edited April 2005
    I REALY wish you'd have told me that sooner Mark!!! :mad: I just bought another pair of speakers recently in addition to the Monitor 10's. Arrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2005
    Screw it, sell those SOB's.
  • danger boy
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    The hole is not always present on a Peerless tweeter, but it's usually an indicator nonetheless.

true, my bad. there are Peerless tweeters without the dimple too.
  • halo
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    Screw it, sell those SOB's.

You wanna buy 'em? Oh, BTW, which SOB's are ya refferin to?
  • hotwheelman
    edited April 2005
    Doro, which would be the better the peerless or the sl1000? I have a couple of spare of either one laying around here somewhere.
  • halo
    edited April 2005
    deleted
  • halo
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by hotwheelman
    Doro, which would be the better the peerless or the sl1000? I have a couple of spare of either one laying around here somewhere.

Hotwheelman - You might just be my new bestest friend!
  • hotwheelman
    edited April 2005
    Well lets figure out which will work for you and we can be like bruddas.:D
  • halo
    edited April 2005
    Blood bruddas! ;) Cool man, real cool!
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2005
    Peersool - I meant sell whatever the other speaker was....keep the Mon10's.

Can you solder? I also have spare Peerless, they aren't pretty, but they work. One tweeter has a lead broken off, so you would have to solder the wire to it.

I have many spares...it makes Polk shopping so much easier.

HWM - I would choose the Peerless....and I also have a couple spares....I'm sure we can get him set up between the two of us.
  • halo
    edited April 2005
    I can't solder but I know someone who can. :D
  • halo
    edited April 2005
    The other speakers in question are something I really don't want to part with at the moment. If you want to know what they are you won't have to look to far to see them. http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27384&highlight=monitor+11s He did not take danger's advice & put them on the bay. I jumped on them immediately. I don't have 'em yet but I can't wait till they get here! :D:D:D:D
  • danger boy
    edited April 2005
    I highly doubt I would recommend anyone who owns a pair of vintage Polks with Peerless tweeters to sell them.

here is my post from that thread for clairification.

":c2v hang on to those bad boys.. since they seem to be somewhat rare.. plus they have the much beloved peerless tweeter! Woo Hoo!"

;)
  • hotwheelman
    edited April 2005
    I am sure the spare peerless that I have is in perfect condition and came from a pair of monitor 10 that I had many moons ago. You want to do the deed or me? Either way is cool with me bro.
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2005
    The Peerless that I have to offer are rough, the minty are in the locker, so if HWM has some better examples....go with him. The ones I have are free to good home.
  • halo
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by danger boy
    I highly doubt I would recommend anyone who owns a pair of vintage Polks with Peerless tweeters to sell them.

here is my post from that thread for clairification.

":c2v hang on to those bad boys.. since they seem to be somewhat rare.. plus they have the much beloved peerless tweeter! Woo Hoo!"

;)

That is why I said he did NOT take your advice on keeping them and decided to sell them...to me! Woo Hoo!

HWM - Send me a pm and let me know how you'd like to proceed. I'm happy to pay for whatcha got my brudda ;)
  • halo
    edited April 2005
    Thank you doro, danger, HWM, & Blue for your advice and help. Thanks for the offers doro & HWM - The level of support in this forum amazes me sometimes - its almost like a family & I really appreciate it.
  • hotwheelman
    edited April 2005
    Well I have bad news and good news but first the bad news, found the peerless and it is just pristine but the only drawback is when I checked it the sound was scratchy and found upon inspection that the laminate that holds the windings in place has let go on one side, I am not sure why as it has been sitting in the garage for years and was in perfect working order when it was parked.

The good news is that I have two sl1000 that I got for free from nadams a while back and have decided I liked the old peerless better in my sevens so I am offering the same to you, just cover the shipping and they are yours. However if you are wanting to stick with the peerless then I guess that it will have to fall back on doro if he has one for you to use.

I wish the peerless could have worked out as it was super clean on the facia, oh well suger happens.

Mike
  • halo
    edited April 2005
    I probably should've asked this sooner - what is the difference between the sl1000 & the peerless? It seems almost everybody prefers the peerless.
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2005
    I prefer to compare them as....enjoyable(Peerless) vs annoying(SL1000/2000)

That's just my opinion.
  • halo
    edited April 2005
    deleted
  • halo
    edited April 2005
    deleted - see troubleshooting.

Thanks