Monitor 7 Rebuild Progress

Options
dkg999
dkg999 Posts: 5,647
edited May 2005 in Vintage Speakers
A while back I posted about a pair of Monitor 7 Series 2 speakers that I picked up for $15. These had been setting in a storage unit and had picked up enough moisture that all the corners had swelled and split open. The front and rear panels, the drivers, and the crossovers were in like-new condition. I decided to try to build replacement cabinets that were as close to original as possible, and use the original front and rear panels. The result so far, cut and test fitted, ready for glue-up:
DKG999
HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
Post edited by dkg999 on

Comments

• dkg999
    edited March 2005
    Options
    And the profile of the cabinet sides with the lock-joints milled
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Looking good!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Are you using particle board????

Looks good man...I like the joints on the corners, very nice...very nice indeed

Keep the pics coming!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Hints of a nice shop set up...

Nice work.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dkg999
    edited March 2005
    Options
    This is my old woodworking shop at my farm in IA. I still have some basic equipment there, and my Dad has a few of his tools in there. Right now I am waiting to get my ex out of a house that was supposed to be sold by now, and then I can buy a place out here in Northern IL. It's frustrating because I have a 15'x25' storage unit completely packed with tools and equipment. Someday I'll get the main shop set back up! I manage to get a few projects done while I am back on the farm. This is a quick one-day entertainment center project because I found a sweet deal on a demo Sony widescreen and had to get something to put it on before they delivered it!
    DKG999

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Edit- I thought the pic was going to be of the workshop, then I read the discription that it was actually of the entertainment center. Nice work!

The extent of my woodworking is a small equipment rack made out of pine. That, and I'm working on building stake sides for my trailer, but that doesn't take much skill :)
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Very nice.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dkg999
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Project completed, almost! I still have to figure out how to unwarp the plastic frames on the grills and replace the grill cloth, however the main part of the project is finished! I brought these back to IL with me and have them playing in the bedroom of my apt, on the stands my EPOS ELS3's are usually on. They sound fantastic, the cabinets are sealed tight again, and the SL2500 tweeters sound good. The finish on the cabinets is a faux stone finish my girlfriend found in a can at Lowes. It's kind of along the same thought as Sid's truck bedliner spray. It came out good, and with 4 coats of spray on polyurethane, seems to be real durable. I was going to go with the cherry or walnut vinyl veneer covering, but this finish does match real well with the columns my girlfriend made for these to go on in the 3.5 season room of my cabin. Ya got to know which battles to fight and when to just let it go!
    DKG999

• dkg999
    edited May 2005
    Options
    And another shot of both of them!
    DKG999

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Outstanding work broham. Bravo!

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Now that's a project worth looking at, sweet. Have fun.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Awesome job man...

The grill cloth should pull right off, it is just glued on there... maybe even hit it with a hair dryer or something...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dkg999
    edited May 2005
    Options
    The problem is that these are the Monitor Series 2 with the plastic grill frames, kind of like the RTi line. Something must of sat against these and warped the plastic that holds the cloth, so they look kind of warped and funny when you put them on. I may try to heat up the plastic with a heat gun and see if I can't straighten it out. If not, then I will make new frames out of 1/2" material and put some new cloth on it. Awesome sounding speakers! I'm pretty impressed with the SL2500 tweeter, not sure why but it sounds a little more forward and brighter than the RD0914 replacements I put in my SDA 2A's and my Monitor 10's. I was playing the new Bruce Springsteen CD on these tonight, pure goodness!
    DKG999

• dkg999
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Also note that I have now implemented the "added mass" tweak to my SDA 2A's by weighting them down with a pair of Monitor 10's. This works much better than the dirty socks behind the mid-range drivers trick :p
    DKG999

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited May 2005
    Options
    That's a helluva stack :D

Sid would be proud.....
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Those 7s look absolutely beautiful! That's some fine craftsmanship. Truly nice entertainment cabinet too! Nice work.