SDA 2A, Sell or Part Out?

Options
Gempler
Gempler Posts: 307
edited March 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I have a wonderful pair of Black vinyl SDA 2A that I must part with. I have not found a local buyer here in New York City and have found that a private shipper is so expensive that it is not practical ($400 to pack and ship cross country, not much less for places in between). I was thinking of parting out the drivers and crossovers, and selling then in pairs. Also the cross-connect cables would be available. So, I welcome any advice on marketability of the parts. Should they be sold individually or in pairs? Pairs strike me as much easier to ship because they can be put face to face with a sheet of cardboard between to make it very safe. Or should I just hold out for a local buyer for the whole speaker? I see that as whole speakers that have sold between $175 and $355 per http://www.polksda.com/ebay.shtml but wonder if parted out they would be worth even more. I have seen the cross-connects on sell on Ebay for $75 alone. Any insight is very much appreciated. Thank you.
Post edited by Gempler on

Comments

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Sell them as complete speakers. Put them up here on the forum under the Flea Market section and someone on the east coast should bite. Good luck!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Im in NY and might be interested depending on how much you wanted
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Seriously, sell them here in the flea market. Don't part out a pair of speakers that WILL sell and are no longer being manufactured.

I drove 7 hours to get mine. They will sell.
  • Gempler
    edited March 2005
    Options
    What’s the going price?

I admittedly don't know what the market is, but I would be happy with $300 for the pair plus the inter-connect cable. I have a reprint of a SDA 2 manual (the one with dual tweeters vs. my one, and three 6.5 drivers vs. my two) and I have an original sales catalog from 1985 that I stared at for ages dreaming about the larger models. Would that price be exciting enough to get a buyers adrenaline pumping hard enough so that they had the strength to carry them down my four flights of stairs? They are sonically perfect, the grills are in fine shape, but there is a scratch on the side of one speaker and some chips to the finish along the rear edges (I think a Sharpe marker could hide these). So, they are not pristine, but they still look very good and not at all dated looking.

I suspect that parting them out would be worth more but I also feel it would be a shame to do that to them. I still love them.

Let me know what price people think is fair and/or if you are interested yourself. Also, I apologize if this thread should really be in the flea market area.

Many thanks.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited March 2005
    Options
    i don't really know what a goor price is either, but for me it would be as cheap as possible haahaa. do u have pics at all? i'm only 2 hours away from the city at most.
  • Gempler
    edited March 2005
    Options
    i am going to continue this is the flea market group. will post some pictures with it shortly. thanks.