New 2-channel DIY speaker project

Comments

• gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited March 2005
    Here is a better pic of the front baffles. I decided on the stands I am going to build. I will make them so that you can see the crossovers inside the stand.

I also have tweaked the crossover a little. I am going to add a switch so that I can change the sound depending on the music and room.
    Graham
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited March 2005
    Here is a better pic of the front baffles. I decided on the stands I am going to build. I will make them so that you can see the crossovers inside the stand.

Oooo I'm not sure how well it would work but stands made out of plexiglass encasing the crossover would be cool....
  • gatemplin
    edited March 2005
    My father suggested the same thing. I have a couple ideas on how to showcase them. It will come down to what finish I decide on.
    Graham
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited March 2005
    very nice....

There are a lot of talented people around here...

do they sound as good as they look..?
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited March 2005
    Graham,

Could you show us your shop area? I'm a tool junkie as well as an audio junkie.

Mike
  • gatemplin
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by beardog03
    very nice....

There are a lot of talented people around here...

do they sound as good as they look..?

Thanks.

Yes they sound amazing. The crossover, which is the most important part by far IMO, was designed by a genius (Jon Hancock), and that is no overstatement.

They are very clear and smooth. I've measured them and they are very flat, which was a challenge with these drivers. The strong suit of these speakers are low distortion and wide frequency response. I would say they sound warm, especially with the Sansui.

Here is what my friends said:

Byron:

"Yeah, yesterday was fun! And I think there wasn't a person there
    who didn't like your speakers immediately! ... I may in the future have some questions regarding those speakers
    - hope ya don't mind"

Mehai:

"Excellent people. Really. I will be short this time. Graham's speaker are very good. "

Chris:

" Love at first sight? Something is wrong at the meet yesterday. I went to bed thinking about it and when I woke up this morning first thing came to my mind. *****! it is troubling my mind

It was Graham's speakers! I think I miss them already. Can I have them back for 5 years to do the long term reliability test for you?"
    Graham
  • gatemplin
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by BlueMDPicker
    Graham,

Could you show us your shop area? I'm a tool junkie as well as an audio junkie.

Mike

Sure. I'll get some pics the next time I borrow my brothers camera. I'm a tool junkie too. I used to be a mechanic.

For speaker building I use a plunge router, jigsaws, circular saw, and table saw.
    Graham
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,854
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by gatemplin
    Thanks.

Yes they sound amazing. The crossover, which is the most important part by far IMO, was designed by a genius, and that is no overstatement.

They are very clear and smooth. I've measured them and they are very flat, which was a challenge with these drivers. The strong suit of these speakers are low distortion and wide frequency response. I would say they sound warm, especially with the Sansui.

Here is what my friends said:

Byron: "Yeah, yesterday was fun! And I think there wasn't a person there who
    didn't like your speakers immediately! ... I may in the future have some questions regarding those speakers
    - hope ya don't mind"

Mehai: "Excellent people. Really. I will be short this time. Graham's speaker are very good. "

Chris: " Love at first sight? Something is wrong at the meet yesterday. I went to bed thinking about it and when I woke up this morning first thing came to my mind. *****! it is troubling my mind

It was Graham's speakers! I think I miss them already. Can I have them back for 5 years to do the long term reliability test for you?"

I hope to add a quote this summer!! ;)
  • gatemplin
    edited March 2005
    Sure, I'll bring them over. I just finished tweaking the crossover today. They sound lovely. Very clear and full range.

Here is the final version:

Extremis27TDFCSchmA.jpg
    Graham
  • gatemplin
    edited July 2005
    Since I recently decided that I am going to move away to go to school for 5 years, I am making more portable cabinets for my speakers.

I also just got a new camera so I will be able to post the progress.

These will be about 14L sealed and will not dig as low as the old cabinets. I am adding cement to the inside walls to reduce panel resonances. The cabinets are made of at least 3/4" MDF. I am going to round over all the edges and then paint with black textured paint.

Graham
  • gatemplin
    edited July 2005
    Here is one of the new cabinets. You can see the baffle recesses and if you look closely the tweeter has its own mini chamber to seperate it from the pressure created by the woofer.
    Graham
  • gatemplin
    edited July 2005
    Here is the back of the baffle. There is a ring where the woofer is mounted and it is rounded over to reduce reflections back onto the cone. I have started to add the cement to the front baffle.
    Graham
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2005
    Very nice work. In that picture showing the backs and 3" port, did you make the one's with the emit tweeter also?

Noel
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • gatemplin
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by ND13
    Very nice work. In that picture showing the backs and 3" port, did you make the one's with the emit tweeter also?

Noel

Thanks. No, those little speakers were made by my friend Fred. Those speakers were very beautiful. They performed well, nice and clear, but obviously lacked extension. I think those are 5" Seas Excel midranges. The design was by Dennis Murphy, and I think David Ellis also had something to do with the design.
    Graham
  • gatemplin
    edited July 2005
    It's a long weekend so I have some more time to work on this project.

Here is the first pic. Rough front baffle on, ready to be flush trimmed.
    Graham
  • gatemplin
    edited July 2005
    The baffle after flush trimming with the router.
    Graham
  • gatemplin
    edited July 2005
    The holes are drilled and the baffle is ready for the driver recesses using a router and cirlce jig.
    Graham
  • gatemplin
    edited July 2005
    Here is the front baffle after the recesses.
    Graham
  • gatemplin
    edited July 2005
    Now the holes are cut out with the jigsaw. Using the circle jig does a better job but it doesn't matter and the jigsaw is faster, less dust too.
    Graham
  • gatemplin
    edited July 2005
    Here is the test fit of the drivers. Perfect fit I think. I finished the tweeter enclosure and will try to get some cement in these speakers tomorrow.
    Graham
  • gatemplin
    edited July 2005
    Here is the left side cabinet done with the drivers being test fit. Good enough for my house.
    Graham
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited July 2005
    Lookin good.... they should sound great. I've heard a few diy speakers using that extremis and they are quite impressive.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,937
    edited July 2005
    Awesome work dude! Really awesome...

That Extremis is sweet.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gatemplin
    edited July 2005
    Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I didn't have a lot of time to work on the speakers today but I made a little progress. The Extremis is really sweet. If you need a small pair of bookshelves yet still need the low end, these drivers are the way to go for sure. The tweeter is really nice too. Very clear, no sibilance of course and great dispersion and imaging.

Here is a photo of my assistant. She is mixing the cement for me. Hopefully I have the cement work done in a few days (fingers crossed).
    Graham
  • gatemplin
    edited July 2005
    Here is a shot of the cement on the sidewalls, not quite dry yet. I rotate the boxes as soon as the old cement starts to set. The cement bonds very well with the MDF, it wont crack off. This is basically like a cinder block.

My brother picked the enclosures up before they had cement in them and said "Wow these are so heavy", then I told him about the cement. :D

You can get a good look at the tweeter's own enclosure in the pic.
    Graham
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2005
    gatemplin,
    You are a mad scientist. No two ways about it... Very nice!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • gatemplin
    edited August 2005
    madmax wrote:
    gatemplin,
    You are a mad scientist. No two ways about it... Very nice!
    madmax

:D Thanks, not the first time I've been called that.

Almost all the cement work is done now. I'm working on fitting the giant crossovers into the new little boxes today before work. I've decided on what to do for stands. The base and top plate will be painted textured black like the speakers with a hollow clear pine center post filled with sand.

Attached is a pic of the crossovers.
    Graham
  • gatemplin
    edited August 2005
    Dang! They aren't even close to fitting after splitting the crossover into two peices. Maybe three boards will fit, but that will be a lot more soldering.
    Graham
  • gatemplin
    edited August 2005
    I tried smaller boards and just barely got the crossovers in. Hopefully all the solder joints are good because I wont have access to the boards unless I cut the speakers open :eek: . I will know for sure when I redo the acoustic measurements to make sure everything is wired correctly.

I also added cement to the rear wall today. It's the first layer. I want to add the cement slowly because the moisture might make the MDF swell. Hopefully all the cement work will be done tomorrow.

I rounded over all the edges with the 3/4" router bit. It makes the speakers appear slightly smaller I think. I still have a lot of sanding to do. Then filler and paint.

BTW the final dimensions of the enclosures are 17" tall by 12" deep and 10" wide.
    Graham
  • gatemplin
    edited August 2005
    Here is a link to another Jon Marsh design. He did a design for AudioXpress magazine called and Unorthodox Two-way. The design used a Vifa XT25 (similar to the LSi) and an almost 9" woofer from HiVi called the M8a. There have been several versions of this design. Here are some pics from a version of the design that a fellow Canuck made. I'm floored.

The same Cauer-Elliptic filter was used on my speakers. Check out the crossovers.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=3606&page=7&pp=35&highlight=m8n%2A%2A
    Graham