WTB: Phono Preamp

masanz1
masanz1 Posts: 511
edited March 2005 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
Looking to spend around $50 for a phono preamp. No one around me seems to sell these. Thanks
Matthew
Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason

HT

Yamaha RX-V2500
CS400-Center
SDA 1A-Mains
RT20-Surround
None right now-Rears
SVS 20-39PCi
Infocus IN72
Post edited by masanz1 on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2005
    Not much at that price that isn't junk... even used.

One decent one for around $50 is the Shure M64.

The M64 doesn't have the adjustablility of something along the lines of an Audio Alchemy VITB, but it'll handle most any MM cartridge, apply the RIAA equalization needed, and do a nice job of it.

One pops up on ebay every once in a while.

P1000580_thumb.JPG
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited March 2005
    Now that NAD has a PP2 you can get the PP1 at pretty decent prices. The PP2 is around $129 so I would think you might be able to find a PP1 for between $75-$85 iif you shop around awhile. A little more than you wanted to spend but they're supposed to be very good. Audiogon and Ebay has them quite often. Here's one on Ebay that ends shortly.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14974&item=5755084952&rd=1
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones