Amps and sda-2

bikerboy
bikerboy Posts: 1,205
edited March 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Hi All,
I have been playing the sda-2s now for a couple of months and then all kinds of other amp options came available. I have been using a denon avr1082 and thought the highs were too harsh and have been looking into the new silk replacement tweeters that are available and covered in this forum. Then I had a Voice of music integated tube amp repaired and had been able to listen to the speaks with 4 6BQ5 output tubes. I love the improved sq in the high freq but the bass seems too fat . Didnt think the amp was the best all round but loved the way the upper range sounds. Then a friend let me borrow his carver reciever. So listening to that for a while let me hear the change in the speakers once again. The highs are more mellow, not wanting to get the new tweets, bass is good but the denon is tighter until you push it too hard. But the carver reciever is old, has noisy controls, and isnt remote controlled so I used the pre-out from the denon into the amp-in on the carver and that is the way it will stay until the carver needs to return to it's home. I dont have 5.1 surround with this setup but it seems like the best sound 2ch all around. We havent decided if the main system upstairs needs to be surround or not. Once we figure out what we want I can improve the electronics, but I may have a second system downstairs within the next year. We bought this house last summer and are still changing things around. I am looking at a pair of monitor 7s this morning and hope to get them for $90 or less. Only a second pair of polks. Only an second system honey. You know how it goes. Well thats all for now and I want to thank all the fellow polksters for all the great info that lead me to the sda's. Thanks again.
Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server