my new hood

goingganzo
goingganzo Posts: 2,793
edited July 2007 in Custom Fabrication
so what do you think of my new hood? it is cf but i had to return it. it was dammaged in shiping.
Post edited by goingganzo on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2005
    Looks pretty smooth brother. What car is it going on?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2005
    I like cowl induction.:)
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2005
    I want one for my Ram. Ive seen a couple around town and they look badasas!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • goingganzo
    edited February 2005
    2001 olds alero payed 800 for it.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited February 2005
    I have a question about cf hoods.... aren't they supposed to be painted the color of your car ? It seems the trend is to leave them / make them to be just cf with a clearcoat.

Anyhoo, nice hood.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2005
    what's the point in having a cf hood if no one knows it's cf? generally, it's for the cf look, not to knock off 15 to 20 pounds.

what do you think a totally-cf car would look like? everything, side panels, bumpers, everything! (not roof, convertible, or maybe a folding cf hardtop)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    what's the point in having a cf hood if no one knows it's cf? generally, it's for the cf look, not to knock off 15 to 20 pounds.

what do you think a totally-cf car would look like? everything, side panels, bumpers, everything! (not roof, convertible, or maybe a folding cf hardtop)

Uhhh...in all my experience, it's the ricers who get carbon fiber for "the look" and nothing else. Racers get carbon fiber body parts to helpp drop weight. Lighter cars run faster and run longer because the power to weight ratio improves and the gas mileage increases.

A totally CF car? Well, if you don't paint it, it looks like crap.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2005
    yeah, the ricer-for-form and racer-for-function bit was what i was trying to get across, but most people aren't racers at that level, where 15 pounds makes a difference :).

so you've actually seen an all-cf car? any idea where i can get a pic, just to see (google image search has failed me...)?

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Jstas
    edited February 2005

• goingganzo
    edited February 2005
    that is y i got mine blue cf to match the car. i could have gotten a fiberglass hood for about 100 less but it would have cost me that to get it painted so i went colored cf. i am not a ricer or a racer.
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by Jstas
    Pick one. Every one of those cars has a completely carbon fiber body. They are painted of course because they would look like total crap otherwise.
    cool cars... perhaps they're painted so that sponsors' logos are more visible?

note that i'm not doubting you, i just have an interest in seeing what that weave pattern would look like over a whole car... and i don't have my image editing suite with me... :)

• michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00

I belive that would be a McLauren F1 and it sure doesn't look like crap... although it is painted :D (btw its possible it is fiberglass not carbon fiber but meh..)
  • max3
    max3 Posts: 44
    edited March 2005
    I'm not sure but aren't Corvettes made completly out of carbon fiber or fiberglass?
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited March 2005
  • JDMCivicB16B
    JDMCivicB16B Posts: 67
    edited March 2005
    forget a fiberglass corvette..!

take a Civic HB completely cf, sprung weight 1500lbs and pushing 305whp ...what would happen? hahaha
    '95 Civic EX
    dbs in front stage
    Type-Rs in back
    MTX T202
    10inch PolkMOMO sub
    Kenwood HU
    Kenwood KAC amp

'00 s2k ....
    Pioneer AVIC-N2
    MMC6500 x 2
    JL 300/2
    (still pending..)

2003 XL DeNali
    (the wife's new ride)
    ..new project..wife comes first before s2k
  • goingganzo
    edited July 2005
    here is a pic of the hood installed.
  • neomagus00
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by JDMCivicB16B

take a Civic HB completely cf, sprung weight 1500lbs and pushing 305whp ...what would happen? hahaha
    it'd still be a civic...

ganzo - is there anything sticking up into that protrusion? or is it looks only?

• spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited July 2005
    it's a cowl induction hood, its supposed to let more air get into the engine. I'm not too big of a fan of them, I prefer ram air hoods.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • Jstas
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by JDMCivicB16B

Lots of wheel spin and torque steer and probably broken half-shafts.

Corvettes come with 400 horses stock.

Why are you comparing the economy Civic (kinda redundant there) with a Corvette anyway? Completely different leagues. If you want Corvette level of performance, just buy a Corvette. You'll spend just as much putting a Civic at that level anyway and it won't perform half as well as the Corvette.

Oh an cowl induction can do more than ram air. If the cowl induction is functional then, it is sucking that cold, high-pressure air from right infront of the windshield. That means it's very dense air and as we all know, the more air running through an engine, the more power you will make. Ram-air will give you a similar effect but it only works at speed and in heavy traffic, it can actually be sucking down hotter air than what is in the engine compartment.

Another benefit to cowl induction, if it isn't being used for engine air intake, is heat dissapation. Having the sheltered hole at the top of teh hood not only less out the high pressure air under the hood that gets trapped there while drive but it also provides a vent to let hot air out. I have seen cowl induction hoods make drastic drops in temperature under the hood.

• neomagus00
    edited July 2005
    that makes perfect sense (and i know from my current car that ram induction is bad in stop-and-go, especially when combined with intercooler heatsoak)... how exactly does the cowl induction hood pull the air away from the hood? just a large air intake positioned appropriately, or is it more exciting than that?

• Jstas
    edited July 2005
    If the cowl induction is going to be fuinctional then it needs an intake pan that usually sits under the carb or throttle body. That pan closes off the hood bulge from the under-hood air and seperates the intake system inlet fom the rest of the engine. When the hood closes, thise creates an air duct for the cold air to be sucked into the engine from that high-pressure area infront of the windsheild.

Some newer hoods for modern EFI systems have ducting that runs all the way down to where the stock air box is located to keep the stock plumbing with little fanfare and modification.

A non-functional cowl induction hood would not have the pan or ducting as mentioned above and would have a large open space into teh engine compartment. Because that pan isn't there to close off the duct, the hole for teh cowl induction molded into the hood acts as a large engine compartment vent. It lets high-pressure air and heat escape. It helps keep the nose of the car from "floating" at speed and helps dissapate engine heat. The nose can "float" because all of the air rushing in through the radiator and under the front-end, it builds up and can actually start to lift the front of teh car up. The same effect happens when you are holding your hand out the window and the wind keeps blowing it around.

• neomagus00
    edited July 2005
    that's quite interesting, thanks for the info

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2005
    i can agree with that, try going 120 in a truck with 33s...front end lifts up quite a bit
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2005
    Ganzo - Looks sweet! The hood and wheels work together to make it look real nice! Have you done anything performance wise to the car?

Jstas - Thanks for the info on cowl induction. I probably would have guessed that ram air would be more effective. Thanks for clearing that up.

Neo - What kind of car do you have that you have ram air, a turbo, and an intercooler?

exalted512 wrote:
    i can agree with that, try going 120 in a truck with 33s...front end lifts up quite a bit
    -Cody

Haha...my speedo only goes to 85!! lol But doing 120 in a truck on 33s (with you! :eek: ) sounds scary! lol
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    i have a 2000 Saab 9-3 Convertible... stock intercooler and turbo (for now), and i'm in the process of glassing a ram air intake... the mods are happening slowly but surely...

• audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    Sounds like fun! Glassing a ram air intake...interesting...will hafta see that!! So you're planning on replacing the turbo and intercooler? Sweet...
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    macleod - forget the cf hood for the ram.

three words - SRT-10 Viper Hood.

cost is 600 bucks plain metal - paint the **** for another 250... that's 900 with freight and you've got the sweetest looking hood you'll ever own.

another nice option - keystone restyling fiberglass functional air ram hoods... oooh they're pretty.

i bought the hemi hood scoop for my truck and it was SUPPOSED to be made functional but i never got around to it.

i was going to cut a hole in the hood, replace the front screen on the scoop, and then build a tray to hold a flat fliter and slam right into the throttle body.

too much damn work. i decided not to - and now i'm glad...

first attempt to paint the hood was a bad one - the paint job was PERFECT but the prep was wrong. i didn't know i had to remove the grey "pre-coat" from the factory, so i ended up with paint that literally peeled off like dead skin after a month.

so i had to rip all that **** off, and when i got to the metal, i had some rust - treated it with phosphorus solution and then just got so aggravated that i cleaned it - used an etching primer, and did a half hour quicker-doodle paint job with spray can's (auto paint of course, not krylon for god sake). now i got little specs from dust here and there, and a whole mess of "in the metal" scratches and ****. i honestly don't give a damn at this point - if i had to do it over, i would have just gotten a whole hood instead of the damn scoop . the mating surfaces are not properly set so i had to re-arc the whole piece in some places. an utter nightmare. 200 for a scoop + 60 for a premium quality set of paints to use with an air gun - then another 35 for **** paint to redo it... 15 for phosphorus solution - countless hours of my time... i'd rather have shelled out 5 bills and got a keystone hemi-replica hood (looks the same as the stock hood with the stock hood scoop - which is what i got - but it is made of fiberglass and is all one piece - and the hole is already there, but they give you a little plate with a rubber gasket you can screw on the bottom if you dont want to bother using the air intake **** -- they also sell an air intake tray / system thingy that hooks right in for another 200 bucks... for the sake of simplicity - i think its not a bad deal.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    first attempt to paint the hood was a bad one - the paint job was PERFECT but the prep was wrong. i didn't know i had to remove the grey "pre-coat" from the factory, so i ended up with paint that literally peeled off like dead skin after a month.

ROFL

Sorry, but that's just hilarious. As is the rest of your story. LOL
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • goingganzo
    edited September 2005
    here is a new pic i just lowered it. next is to get some componets for the interor.
  • audiobliss
    edited September 2005
    Overall, it looks real nice. Looks a little too low in the back for my tastes, but it sure does look like one nice Alero! They're beautiful cars!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]