Monitor 10B tweeter needed

Options
duaneage
duaneage Posts: 11
edited February 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I need a single tweeter for the 10B system. Anybody have one they can part with?

brosky@comcast.net
Post edited by duaneage on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2005
    Options
    what does your tweeter look like? can you post a picture of it? there were a couple different tweeters used in the monitor 10 line.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • duaneage
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Won't let me paste a picture, I guess you need to link from somewhere

I think it is a silver coil 1000

The 310665 Peerless does not look the same. I think this is a 6 ohm tweeter whereas the 310665 is rated at 8 ohms. I have a small tear in the dome that may be repairable, it is less than an 1/8' in size. The tweeter still works.

i could send you the link in an email and perhaps you could identify it or post it?
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2005
    Options
    duaneage
    sent me this pic to post for him.

can anyone help him out? or offer suggestions for replacement?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited February 2005
    Options
    SL2000?

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Yep, that's the SL2000. You apparently have the 2nd generation of 10Bs, as the earlier ones came with the SL1000.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Duaneage,

Forum member BlueMDPicker has a few SL2000's for sale in the Flea Market section, http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23740

He's a good guy, no problems dealing with him.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• duaneage
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the ID. I would really like to keep them original so I will try that guy out for a pair and change them both, this way I would have a spare. I have owned these since December 1986, I bought them at Ramstein AB in Germany and carried them home to Mississippi. They have been to Korea, Hong Kong, Japan, Florida, PA and now Delaware.

I build speakers for a hobby, almost 25 different systems so far. But I still have the polks and like them alot. I think they sound better than most speakers and considering I paid 375 dollars for them new I feel I got my money's worth out of them. I actually saw a pair go for more than that on Ebay recently.

I should probably clean the rust off the screws, it is a little embarrassing.
  • duaneage
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the ID. I would really like to keep them original so I will try that guy out for a pair and change them both, this way I would have a spare. I have owned these since December 1986, I bought them at Ramstein AB in Germany and carried them home to Mississippi. They have been to Korea, Hong Kong, Japan, Florida, PA and now Delaware.

I build speakers for a hobby, almost 25 different systems so far. But I still have the polks and like them alot. I think they sound better than most speakers and considering I paid 375 dollars for them new I feel I got my money's worth out of them. I actually saw a pair go for more than that on Ebay recently.

I should probably clean the rust off the screws, it is a little embarrassing.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Those are very well traveled speakers! Yes, you own them a good cleaning for all the tunes they've played for you. :)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nadams
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Not to detract from BlueMDPicker's sale, but the RD 0194-1 is a better tweeter than the SL2000. It is actually Polk's replacement for the 2000 since they don't make them anymore. You may want to look into ordering a pair of them from Polk. If you do, mention that you're a Club Polk member, and you get a discount.

The SL2000 has become infamous for being harsh.

Just check out this thread for details on the RD 0194-1 - > http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26206
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by nadams
    Not to detract from BlueMDPicker's sale...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    ROTFLMFAO
  • nadams
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by BlueMDPicker
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    ROTFLMFAO

Hey, you've got all those SL2000's laying around for a reason :p

Just trying to help a new guy out... I wasn't going to mention it because it sounded like he was just going to buy a single tweeter... but since he's buying a pair.. well?
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited February 2005
    Options
    No worries. It's refreshing to see we don't have a new generation of used car salesmen in training.

Maybe he already tried the new model?

Who knows? Who cares? Tune in tomorrow for another thrilling episode of "As the Tweeters Turn (not!)" :p
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited February 2005
    Options
    I'll assume if he's had them and liked them since 1986, he likes the tweeters,FWIW Id stick with the originals if that's what your used to and like thus far, The new ones "may"not have the edge you like from the sl2000... But who knows :)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • nadams
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Just thought I'd make him aware of the alternative.

It's really up to the owner of the speakers. I honestly can't talk from experience because none of my Polks have the SL2000. I'm just going on what i've heard...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • duaneage
    edited February 2005
    Options
    I am a vinyl fanatic.

There ... I said it.

I have heard the new tweeters, not AB side by side with mine, and they seem to work OK. But I do want to keep my 10Bs original, I really liked that sound when I bought them. TEHy do sound good with records and I don't think they are too harse. One man's harshness is anothers brilliance.
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by duaneage
    But I do want to keep my 10Bs original, I really liked that sound when I bought them. TEHy do sound good with records and I don't think they are too harse. One man's harshness is anothers brilliance.
    duaneage,

I had a secret stash that I got into just for you. A mint pair from a set of SDA 2A's that look like NOS. See if you agree after you hear and see them. Anyone who's traveled with his 10's like you deserves a special dispensation. Enjoy!

(Pssst....nadams.... go out and wait by the mailbox. Your commission check will be there real soon. :p )

Mike
  • duaneage
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by nadams
    Not to detract from BlueMDPicker's sale, but the RD 0194-1 is a better tweeter than the SL2000. It is actually Polk's replacement for the 2000 since they don't make them anymore. You may want to look into ordering a pair of them from Polk. If you do, mention that you're a Club Polk member, and you get a discount.

The SL2000 has become infamous for being harsh.

Just check out this thread for details on the RD 0194-1 - > http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26206

I saw that thread and it looked like a real firefight going on there. I was scared to even suggest that after 19 years I liked my 10Bs the way they were. Better is always objective, the room and source material plays a big part in what we like
  • nadams
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Well, as that thread points out, it really is personal preference. Just buy the tweeters from BlueMDPicker and this thread is done. *Shrugs*

Enjoy.
    Ludicrous gibs!