DTS ES 6.1 Movie Recommendations

rodneyat
rodneyat Posts: 67
edited March 2002 in Music & Movies
Any recommendations for DTS ES 6.1 encoded DVDs. I have Gladiator and when I run it in Discrete mode I get audio cutouts but ES Matrix 6.1 works OK. So, I want to try another DVD and see if I get the same results. Thanks!

Rodney
Polk RT 800i mains, CS 400i center, FX 500i surrounds, RT 35i rear centers, Definitive Supercube II, Yamaha RX-V3800, Samsung PN58C8000
Post edited by rodneyat on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2002
    The Haunting

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited March 2002
    The new Evil Dead
  • mhetman
    mhetman Posts: 25
    edited March 2002
    "Bones", great back channel effects right from the start. Atlantis also...
  • rodneyat
    edited March 2002
    If I recall correctly, Atlantis is DTS 5.1 but not DTS ES 6.1. I have tried a number of DTS 5.1 encoded discs and they have been great. My problem seems to be with DTS ES 6.1 discrete. At least that seems to be the case with the one 6.1 discrete DVD that I have tried...Gladiator.
    Polk RT 800i mains, CS 400i center, FX 500i surrounds, RT 35i rear centers, Definitive Supercube II, Yamaha RX-V3800, Samsung PN58C8000
  • mhetman
    mhetman Posts: 25
    edited March 2002
    Originally posted by rodneyat
    If I recall correctly, Atlantis is DTS 5.1 but not DTS ES 6.1. I have tried a number of DTS 5.1 encoded discs and they have been great. My problem seems to be with DTS ES 6.1 discrete. At least that seems to be the case with the one 6.1 discrete DVD that I have tried...Gladiator.

Rod...You are correct on this...I have the DD EX version and wrongly assumed the DTS version might have been DTS ES. I do have Gladiator DTS-ES, Bones DTS-ES and a music DVD of Sheryl Crow which is also DTS-ES discrete. They all play find with no dropouts. My receiver is a Denon 3801 and my DVD player is a Technics A10.
  • Troy LaMont
    Troy LaMont Posts: 27
    edited March 2002
    You can check an up-to-date listing here.

Atlantis is DTS-ES encoded.

Troy
    "I know you have a group of guys just sitting around thinking **** up, and another group of guys backing them up..." - Harry Stamper
  • rodneyat
    edited March 2002
    Thanks for the post...That is great info to have! The Atlantis disc that I tried was not the collectors edition...Thus no ES. Oh well! I will try another!
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited March 2002
    SEVEN! AWESOME!
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited March 2002
    I though my Haunting was 6.1 but when I checked it it was only 5.1. They must have put out a later version with the ex. Dam it!:mad:
  • mhtst2
    mhtst2 Posts: 1
    edited March 2002
    Gladiator is dts es. check out when he throws the sword. The beginning of the scene shows his family and a hand brushing across crops.

This movie rocks. Get IT!!!!
  • rodneyat
    edited March 2002
    I actually have Gladiator already but I did rent Chicken Run the other day and still got the audio cutouts on ES Discrete mode so I tried a different digital audio cable and had the same result. So, I finally decided to call Yamaha and as it turns out there is a problem with the audio decoder in my DVD player and Yamaha is going to upgrade it with the newer decoder for free even though it is technically out of warranty. So, now I just have to send it in for the work to be done...

Rodney