SDA CRS+ question

trubluluc
trubluluc Posts: 2,067
edited February 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I bought a pair of CRS+ speakers and as I was carrying them into the house, it felt like something was loose inside.
I pulled off the guard and the Passive Radiator, to find the crossover plate loose inside the box, on both speakers.

Is this supposed to just lay there?
Or has it come loose, and should be reattached to the box?
If so How?

thanks,

-Luc
Post edited by trubluluc on

Comments

• trubluluc
    edited February 2005
  • trubluluc
    edited February 2005
  • trubluluc
    edited February 2005
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited February 2005
    Looking at your closeup photo #2 you can just see the bottom edge of a coil just above the crossover board. The crossover should be attached to it via small arrow like shaped plastic locking pins. These snap through the small holes in the board. The pins are on the coil.
  • BobMcG
    edited February 2005
    If you look at your first photo of the cabinet rear, you can see a screw right in the middle of the POLK information label. This screw is holding the large coil in place.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited February 2005
    Luc, they're no good any longer, so send them to me.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited February 2005
    Luc,

First, detach the wiring harnesses from the crossover circuit board. Next, while holding the large coil in one hand, carefully remove the retaining bolt with the other hand. Remove the board and coil from the speaker.

Once the coil and board are out of the speaker, carefully inspect them for damage. I would not worry about the speakers having taken a substantial impact. It does not take much force to dislodge the circuit board from the flimsy plastic posts. I would be worried about drive damage. Loose circuit boards have been known to damage drivers. You should inspect for siezed voice coils and torn or punctured cone material.

It will be easy to orient the board on top of the coil because of the location of the metal leads on top of the coil and the location of the two black wires that terminate on the board. Make sure that the board is pressed down on the plastic post until it "snaps" in place. The posts have expansion tips.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited February 2005
    Trubuluc,

Do you still have the plastic posts? Those expansion tips on the posts are easily damaged. Seem like they get brittle with age or something. This email I received from Ken S. may be helpful if you need to replace the plastic posts. The posts are actually called "standoffs" and attach to the large coil. Talk about a pain in the **** to put back together!!! I was able to salvage mine and also use plastic tiestraps to secure.

Hello Paul,

Those are called "standoffs" and I'm afraid I don't have them as a Polk part, however they are a very common part that should be available at Digikey.com or Mouser.com or even a well stocked electronics parts store near you.

There shouldn't be any difference between the two crossovers, in some of the speakers the SDA interconnect socket will be wired differently from right to left speaker, but that won't matter with the actual crossover connection. It should go together pretty smoothly.

Regards, Ken
  • trubluluc
    edited February 2005
    ....plastic piece of crap.
    One of the white pieces is broken on the crossover plate.

see image
  • trubluluc
    edited February 2005
  • trubluluc
    edited February 2005
    BobMcG, pjdami, Darqueknight...

I bought these from th original owner, who was very meticulous with them.
    The cabinets are in very good condition, as are all the drivers and tweeters.
    So I think as pjdami said I think they just got old and brittle.

The speakers themselves seem to work fine.
    I will follow Darques direction and try and re-attach them.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

-Luc
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited February 2005
    You're ignoring me, aren't you...lol.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• trubluluc
    edited February 2005
    ....yes.
    but, you can still count on me buying you a cold one at polkfest.

-Luc
  • BobMcG
    edited February 2005
    It looks like you'll be back in business when you install the new standoffs.

NOTE: It doesn't hurt to open up all SDAs when you get them to check on these little wonders. I have a habit of taking things apart at times to see what makes them tick... thus I've opened more than one pair of brand new SDAs (years ago of course) that have had problems with these plastic holders. One thing I noticed was that sometimes the crossover boards would be held by a couple of the standoffs while one or more were smashed almost flat behind them doing nothing at all. (Probably put together in too much of a hurry?) I'd have to remove the board and reshape the standoffs making them serviceable and remount the boards. If you have old SDAs that have never been checked or maybe they've even been shipped at one time or another, it's worth the time to give ALL the inards a look. As a matter of fact one brandnew speaker had a crossover wire dangling as it had come off. (Perhaps during shipment from Polk to the dealer?)
  • trubluluc
    edited February 2005
    That's sound advice Bob.
    I will do it to all the SDA children of sound in my house.
    Only problem is :
    that will be a hell of a big job, as that would be 16 speakers.
    I"m going to stop buying them for awhile,
    really, I mean it this time.
    -Luc
    Originally posted by BobMcG
    It looks like you'll be back in business when you install the new standoffs.

NOTE: It doesn't hurt to open up all SDAs when you get them to check on these little wonders.If you have old SDAs that have never been checked or maybe they've even been shipped at one time or another, it's worth the time to give ALL the inards a look.
  • BobMcG
    edited February 2005
    Better you than me! No, just kidding. Actually it could be a fun wintertime project. I only have the six to take care of but having a bit more time at my disposal this time of year I actually wouldn't mind having some "new" unexplored SDAs to tinker with. Good luck and have fun with yours! (Let us know if you have any interesting finds.)