Sda 1c Crossovers

Options
REGALOVE
REGALOVE Posts: 3
edited January 2005 in Vintage Speakers
HELLO,

I'VE HAD THE POLK 1C'S FOR ABOUT 4YRS NOW AND I ORGINALLY HAD THE SDA 2'S. SINCE THE 1C'S ARE APPROACHING 20YRS OLD, I CALLED POLKS'S TECHNICAL DEPT. AND HE SUGGESTED HAVING THE CAPACITORS UPGRADED. I NEED ADVICE AS TO WHICH BUSINESS DOES THIS SINCE THESE ARE COMPLEX CROSSOVERS(ACCORDING TO "JULIAN HIRSCH'S REVIEW IN STEREO REVIEW FROM 1987).

THANKS BRAD ( TOLEDO, OH)
Post edited by REGALOVE on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Please turn your caps off.

Any good hifi repair shop should be able to help you out. It would help if you got a schematic from Polk to assist them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2005
    Options
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Bob,

Any chance you can e-mail me a higher resolution of that? Do you know if the 1b uses the same crossover as the 1c?

Thanks,

Michael

mhand@preco-morton.com
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • BobMcG
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I'll see what I can do for you... I have to find the paper and look at my old notes.
  • BobMcG
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Mike, I just noticed you're out in Illinois. I found my 2.3's and had them trucked to me in '96 from there.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Yep from the Peoria area (right across the river actually.) I purchased my SDA's here locally new back in the late 80's. (first big purchase I made when I got a real job)

My wife has hated the look forever and they have been neglected for many years and been through a few basement floods.

The cabinet is in rough shape and I noticed the laminate (or whatever it is) on the PR looks to be peeling off. They are not worth selling as they are in rough condition. They do still sound great though and I look forward to adding them to my home theater in the near future. (finishing a room in the basement for it.)

I don't know if I need to repurchase some PR's or just let them go. Like I said they still seem to play just fine.

Now would be a great time to update the crossovers. Before I put them in service I will upgrade the tweeters in them also. (so they match better to the LSiC that I already own.)

I have even thought about building a set of cabinets that look like the LSi-15's and mount the drivers and crossovers from the SDA's in them.....

down the front:
    woofer
    sda woofer
    tweeter
    sda tweeter
    sda woofer
    woofer
    PR sidefiring like the LSi15's.

If I got the cabinet volumes similar it might work.......

I would love to get some speakers from the SRS line to go as front speakers and move these to the back. (I have thought about that since they came out with 5.1) I still just love the sound of the SDA Polks. I would have to finish my basement home theater first though. If my wife didn't like the SDA 1b's, I don't even want to think what she will say about SRS's.... :)

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • BobMcG
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I emailed you a higher rez schematic. It's what Polk sent me years ago. I have the owner's manuals for the SDA-1; SDA1B; and SDA-1C (and others) but all I can find right now in the way of schematics are for the 1C and 2B and the wiring diagrams for the 1C and the safety guard replacement diagram for the 2B.

The 1C's use 2x MW6511 (stereo) and 2x MW6510 (dimensional) drivers. The 1B uses 4x MW6509 drivers.
    They don't use all the same crossovers. I can give you specs if needed.
  • BobMcG
    edited January 2005
    Options
    To bad about the SRSs being in a run down state but I'm sure you can get them fixed up. It actually could be a nice restoration project.
    I too bought my first pair of SDA's back in the late '80s. The fall of '88 to be exact. I purchased a new pair of SDA-2Bs and used them until '96 when I sold them to a friend. (After receiving my 2.3s.) I wasn't without a pair long though. Not six months after selling my 2Bs I bought another pair off my brother who purchased them new in '89. They are pulling rear duty on my HT and being powered by a Carver 1.0t amp. The 2Bs actually deserve to be playing a better role but that's all I have for them right now. My main stereo is utilizing the 2.3s and the secondary one is using CRS+s. (Small room.) I haven't been very involved with the audio world the last couple of years but Im still a true diehard fan of Polk's SDA line. It would be nice owning a pair of each of the classics but life has it's priorities....