Identify a Monitor 10?

waylyn5945
waylyn5945 Posts: 18
edited January 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I have Monitor 10s. There is absolutely no identification tags on them. The only definitive feature that I've seen is that the tweeter is brushed aluminum with "Polk Audio" written on the bottom. (I don't have a digital camera so I can't attach an image). I'd like to identify so I can get decent specs - particularly db efficiency.
Wayno
Post edited by waylyn5945 on

Comments

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2005
    It's either an original Mon10, or the Monitor 10A. They were the only ones who used the SL1000 tweeter, according to Polks website, and that was the only tweeter (I believe) that had the "Polk Audio" logo in the SL 1,2,3k series
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited January 2005
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2005
    Silver face = SL1000 which means 10A's or B's. Which depends on whether the MW's are 6500's or 6501's.

Original 10's had the Peerless tweeters.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2005
    what would happen if you installed a Peerless tweeter in a monitor 10 say. that didn't originally have a peerless tweeter? would it sound really bad or would it be ok?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by danger boy
    what would happen if you installed a Peerless tweeter in a monitor 10 say. that didn't originally have a peerless tweeter? would it sound really bad or would it be ok?

Doro recently indicated that this wouldn't necessarily be audible, any problems caused by crossover issues, I mean. I think that a side-by-side would be helpful in reaching that conclusion. Perhaps doro has done this, I don't know.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    edited January 2005
    The original Monitor 10 and 10A's that I knew all had Peerless tweeters (with the hole in the middle of the dome).
  • waylyn5945
    waylyn5945 Posts: 18
    edited January 2005
    One other identifier that I noticed. The name tag "Polk Audio" is not printed on the grill like others that I've seen. It is below the grill, mounted on the cabinet.
    Wayno