Center channel to match SDA SRS?

jcmccorm
jcmccorm Posts: 103
edited January 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Hello gentlemen, I have a question for those more knowledgable than I.

I've decided that I really like my SDA SRSs for home theater. I currently have Rocket 750's for rears but just won a pair of SDA 1C's ('bay #5744153441) to use for the rears.

What about a matching center? I've got a Boston Acoustics VR12 right now and wondered if there was anything that Polk had that would be better matched to the SDAs and still provide the volume and clarity that the VR12 does. Thanks!

Cary
Post edited by jcmccorm on

Comments

• jcmccorm
    edited January 2005
    Wow, surely some of you guys have a center channel with your SDAs right?

Forget the comparison to my existing center channel (VR12), what center channel speaker do you guys use that could possibly compare with your SDAs?

Cary
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited January 2005
    I've seen a few use centers such as the CS400 or similar. If you have enough room and can find one, an SDA-CRS would work too. Just my simple suggestions. I know those people that actually have SDA's will have better suggestions.

Zach
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited January 2005
    Cary,

This has been beat around alot here on the forum as they didn't use centers back for SDAs, so matching the tweeters is somewhat trial and error. Some have used the monitor series from that era with favorable results while others have used the more modern CS models.The big CS400 is a favorite.

CS models work well with the replacement tweeters that Polk offers for your SDA also.

I have seen SDA CRS models used also since they are somewhat small and match perfectly with other SDA models.

Sorry I am slow Zach, guys from OKlahoma must all think alike!!:D :D:D

DG
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Larry Chanin
    Larry Chanin Posts: 601
    edited January 2005
    Hi Cary,

I can't provide an answer to matching the SRS's, but I can offer my experience matching centers to the SDA-1C's.

I found, as Dennis and Zach noted, that the CS400's are a fairly good match to the 1Cs, and when listening to movies I couldn't discern any timbre matching problems. However, when listening to test tones I could hear a slight shift in timbre as the tone moved from mains to center.

Based on advice I received here, I purchased a pair of SDA-CRS+ to use as centers. As Dennis points out they perfectly match with the SDA-1C's because their tweeters and mid-range drivers are identical. Now I can't hear any shifting in timbre even when test tones are played.

Larry
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited January 2005
    I have used CRS+'s and LSiC's with my SRS's with good results. I prefer the sound of the CRS+'s, but I like the cosmetics of the LSiC's better.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2005
    I have been using the CS400 for a little bit, works well with the SRS, when movie scenes pan picture and sound across the front of the stage from left to right or vice versa I dont notice any distractions. The 400's size matches up pretty well in scale to the SRS, although a coupe lsci's would also look sweet on top a widescreen.

Congrats on getting the 1C's. They are very musical speakers and I have them in my cave. I thought about moving them to back surround duty but like them so much for music I used my RT1000i for that duty.

RT1
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2005
    The LSiC is close. If you ever upgrade your SDA tweeters to the new SL2000 replacements then the LSiC is definitely the answer.

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by madmax
    The LSiC is close. If you ever upgrade your SDA tweeters to the new SL2000 replacements then the LSiC is definitely the answer.

madmax

Agreed. I got rid of my LSi15s from my LSi home theater system and replaced them with a pair of upgraded SDA 1Cs because the new SL2000 replacements are very close in timbre to the LSi tweeter. I don't think the old SL2000 fish eye tweeters would ever match up well with anything other than other speakers with the old SL2000 tweeters because of the peaky nature of the old tweeter's frequency response.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2005
    The CS400 works quite nicely with SRS's...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • jcmccorm
    edited January 2005
    Thank you guys!

Checking 'bay, I see that the CS400 pops up a bit. I may try swapping the SL2000's out of my SRS's for the replacement tweet and seeing how it fits with the existing Boston Acoustics center before trying something different.

Cary
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2005
    That's another way to go, but a more expensive one... 8 tweeters will run you $350 or so, after Club discount. A nice, used 400 will run in the $200 to $250 range on ebay. The replacement for the 2000's sounds similar to the 3000's.

If you like the sound of your SRS's as is, try the 400. If you don't like the match, you should be able to resell it and only be out the shipping (unless you went crazy bidding).

If you find the top end of the 2000's "edgy", then by all means replace them. The 400 remains a good candidate even in this case. As decent as the 400 blends with the SRS's, I found it actually blends better with the SL3000's in my 3.1tl's than the 2000's.

"There are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    You're still on the road you're on...
    "
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD