Which tweeter for my DSA SRS?

Options
jcmccorm
jcmccorm Posts: 103
edited February 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Hi,
Thanks to you guys, I learned of a tweeter upgrade for my SDAs. Someone in another thread mentioned this as a possible cure for some harshness I hear on certain passages.

So, a little more reading reveals that I should try the SL2000T. So I called Polk CS yesterday and there are only 2 in stock (I need 8). The rep suggests I try the SL2500 since it will be less bright than the SL2000 or SL2000T.

I respectfully declined as I wanted to do some research.

So, which tweet do I want if I want to try a "less bright" tweeter?

Thanks.

Cary
Post edited by jcmccorm on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Call Polk CS, ask for Ken, and ask him for the SL2000 replacement tweeter, he will set you up with the correct "new" tweeter. BTW the tweeter you seek is NOT the SL2000T.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • jcmccorm
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Well, I guess I could have spelled "SDA" correctly in the title. I don't see a way to edit it.

Anyway, thanks! I called Ken and got the replacement part number. For anyone looking for the same info, the replacement is RD0194-A. They are temporarily out of stock though.

Cary
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Out of stock, AGAIN!?!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Out of stock, AGAIN!?!

hehehe :cool:
  • ardvark1
    ardvark1 Posts: 30
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Talked to Ken late this week, they will be back in stock the first week of February.
  • jcmccorm
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Yes, Ken said February and I should have added that.

He did say that they had two in stock, but of course I need eight :(

Cary
  • jcmccorm
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Ugh.

Called Polk today and they don't have an RD0194-A listed. They suggested an RD0194-1, which is an SL2000 (which is what I want to replace).

Do I have the part number right for the "less bright" SL2000 replacement?

Cary
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Where did you you come with the -A part number???

The one you want is RD0194-1.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jcmccorm
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Thanks F1, I got it from Ken but I must have made a mistake.

I got to talk to Ken and although I didn't verify the part number, he knew what I was looking for and they don't have them in yet.

Cary
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2005
    Options
    They are well worth the wait!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • jcmccorm
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Well hot d@mn!

I've got eight RD0194-1 replacement tweeters on the way.

Cary
  • jcmccorm
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Bummer.

I got the replacement tweeters for my SRS's yesterday. I sat down to a little critical listening this afternoon so that I could attempt to make a comparison with the new tweeters.

I removed the first tweeter and hooked up the new one, only to discover that it doesn't quite fit into the hole!! The magnet is just *slightly* too big. Any suggestions? Dremel tool with the sanding bit?

Cary
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Damn, sorry to hear that Carey! Polk must be getting them from another source. I replaced all mine in the SDA SRS's and they were drop-ins.

The Dremel should work (damn the dust, though), or you could make a template of the magnet diameter, mark them out with pencil, and use an Exacto knife or single-edge razor blade to score into the MDF (at a right angle) and remove the excess (in parallel.)

Hope it's not too much of an ordeal. I think you'll enjoy the sound of them.

Mike
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Cary,
    Are you sure they sent you the SL2000 replacements and not the SL3000 replacements? The tweeters look very similar from the front, but I think I remember someone being sent SL3000 replacements by mistake and having problems with the wire connectors being different sizes. Haven't heard about the magnets being too big before though. For what it's worth, all 14 SL2000 replacements I've had fit the original holes perfectly, although occasionally the plastic face plate was at most a millimeter too wide for the cut outs.
  • jcmccorm
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the condolences!

The new tweets aren't marked with anything. I'll check the packing slip when I get back home but I asked for RD0194-1's. I'll get out the calipers and see how much it's off. It's not much - I could just barely get them (tried two) started into the whole but couldn't go very far. I would like to make the new opening as parallel as possible but without a guide, it might be a bit of a hack job....

Ccary
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2005
    Options
    I think mine came with a paper that said they may be slightly large for the holes. If the connectors are the proper size then you probably have the correct tweets.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • jcmccorm
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Yes, the connectors are a perfect match. So, I guess it's dremel time....

Cary
  • jcmccorm
    edited February 2005
    Options
    No worries. The hole was 0.030" smaller than the magnet. It was really easy to just roll over the inside of each hole with a dremel tool and then slide in the new tweeter.

Cary
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by jcmccorm
    No worries. The hole was 0.030" smaller than the magnet. It was really easy to just roll over the inside of each hole with a dremel tool and then slide in the new tweeter.

With a .030" overbore, you should see an immediate gain in horsepower. Be sure to adjust your carburator too. ;)

Glad to hear it wasn't a huge chore.