Need help- fast!!!

Options
tommyrod74
tommyrod74 Posts: 19
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Hi guys-

Here is my dilemma. I am now looking for a new receiver in the $800- $1200 range. This is a result of my buying a Sony da5es a couple of weeks ago and being quite underwhelmed with it (mostly its 2-channel music performance). Looking for a good match with Polk rt800 fronts, cs400, and rt55 surrounds, preferably something a little warm sounding. I am looking at a Yamaha rx-v2200 right now, but can't find a lot of info on it. The problem is I have to decide by Wednesday as I am going to have friends over Thursday for a party and movie. Any suggestions appreciated. BTW, my previous receiver was an Onkyo 575x, underpowered but a sweet sound...

Thanks,
Tommy
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• billlb
    billlb Posts: 59
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Tommy: In my humble opinion: Denon, or Marantz, Both are very warm sounding and with power. Also a thought, if you liked your former Onkyo receiver why not check out a newer one? Only you will know when you see it and hear it. We all have differant tastes. The last thing you want to do though is just jump into a new receiver that fast. You might end up with two receivers that you don't want. Good advice: Take your time and have fun.......
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2002
    Options
    check out the 797 or 898 onkyo they have 100 wpc and are around 750 for the 787 but you have to shop around to get a good price. they have per amp outs for all chanels and the 898 has 7 chanel power amps i wish i could trade in my 787 for a 898
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by goingganzo
    i wish i could trade in my 787 for a 898

doesn't the 787 have a preout of the 6th channel to hook into onkyo's 2-channel amplifier, that will give you 7 channels? or was this an upgrade on the 797???
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    Options
    tommyrod74, all good suggestions above. if possible, i would go out and spend the day today listening to as many models as you can. onkyo/marantz/yamaha/denon, whatever. let you ears decide...
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2002
    Options
    doesn't the 787 have a preout of the 6th channel to hook into onkyo's 2-channel amplifier, that will give you 7 channels?
    juice21, you are right on. The 787 does have preouts for the rear channels. And Onkyo makes a couple 2ch. amps perfect for rear surrounds. I would have gone that way but I am plenty happy with the onboard 6.1. :)