any one know the diferance between onkyo and integra

Options
goingganzo
goingganzo Posts: 2,793
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
can any one tell me what the differance is between the onkyo 787 and the integra 7.1? i looked at the specks and the look about the same. is it like sony and ther es model?
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2002
    Options
    That is EXACTLY what it would be like. They have been making those two separate lines for a good many years now. They had a big Integra 200wpc or 300wpc power amp a bunch of years back. It was a beauty, and built like a tank. Good stuff that Integra. At least it used to be. Even so, I always felt the regular Onkyo stuff was always a good value for the money, compared to their mass-market competition (Pioneer, Kenwood, JVC, Sony, Sansui, Technics, Marantz which was terrible for awhile but seems to be on the way back). I have a very old 30wpc Onkyo TX-30 receiver in my office at the squadron. The thing weighs a TON, and drives a lot of big speakers that I swap in and out of there, with NOOO problem. Damn thing is only about 3 inches tall too.

Okay, I just checked and the Integra line goes back to at least 1982. The big power amp was part of the "Grand Integra" line and was the Grand Integra M-510(300wpc). The Sony "Espirit" line started around 1978. That MAY have evolved into Sony ES.

"Some people crave baseball. I find this unfathomable. But I can EASILY understand why a person could get excited about playing a bassoon."
    FZ
  • fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Onkyo And Integra are the same company, EG Onkyo own Integra and the Integra division is the Audiophile arm, hence the reason the spec,s are simular. Regards Fabian
    The Wonder From Downunder
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited February 2002
    Options
    How much better is the Integra line vs. Onkyo? Onkyo is consitered 'high-end' in the fact that they use seperate circuitry for each channel, unlike mass-market Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc...does Integra just use better parts? I'm really curious about this.
  • fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited February 2002
    Options
    G,Day Jonny, In Australia Onkyo are mainstream product much like Sony, etc. I have listened to Onkyo and Integra who boast that they are the best? and I could not hear any difference, other than Integra costing 3 times as much, as for the difference re internal quality of c/nents I would not know. I have a HIGH regard for ONKYO and agree Sony Is so so, their ES series is good but Sony,s other stuff is in my opinion so so Regards Fabian
    The Wonder From Downunder
  • George Grand
    edited February 2002
    Options
    The way I see it, and understand it, both lines are going to use similar design approaches. Both lines would use discrete circuitry for ALL channels, as opposed to the stuff you mentioned JohnnyA, which almost never includes the words "all channels driven continuously, 20Hz-20kHz", indicating just what you said, mass-market crap. The differences between the Onkyo line, and the Onkyo "Integra" line might be:

For the Onkyo line, they may have 25 cent resistors or such and such price capacitors in there. Stuff works fine.

For the Onkyo "Integra" line, they might use hand selected stuff, that is guaranteed to tighter tolerances, at an accordingly higher price.

"It's all one big note."
    FZ (when asked about his music)
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I'm pretty happy with my Onkyo, which is why I was curious. If they made 'better' stuff, I'd be really into checking it out! :p
  • George Grand
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I always felt that standard Onkyo equipment was excellent stuff.
    The Integra, or Grand Integra line may last longer, or be less prone to damage (you know, like if you throw your amp down the stairs). Will it SOUND much better. Probably not. If a standard piece is designed and manufactured properly, it should sound as good as an elevated line. If the elevated line boasts a number like .005% THD, and the standard line is .05%, there is not a person on this planet that can tell the difference WITH THEIR EARS. In fact, studies (conducted by mad scientists who are GOOD at that sort of thing) indicate we cannot determine THD numbers as high as .5%. Most Carver power amps have spec sheets that read "not greater than .5% THD". If it's good enough for Bobby boy, it's good enough for me. Save your money.

"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows."
    FZ

(I love his "eyebrows" comments. Nothing was totally complete with him until he "put the eyebrows on it". What a mind)
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I think that sometimes the primary difference between a company's mass-market product & premium product is the warranty. Which may or may not be worth the difference in price, depending on your circumstances.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing