Monitor 7 (?) Question

KCF
KCF Posts: 58
edited December 2004 in Vintage Speakers
Local shop has what appear to be Polk Monitor 7 in the storeroom. They're a medium size bookshelf, with tweet, 7" mid, and what appears to be a passive radiator, about 10". The tweet is stamped "polk". The sticker on the back is a little difficult to decipher, but does have a 7 in the model no.
Just wondering about the speakers, people's experience with them, etc. They appear in pretty good shape, tho I don't need speakers at present. :confused:
Post edited by KCF on

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2004
    Here's a picture of Russ's 7As:

Monitor 7a

Many here consider them the best, and most collectible, of the early monitors. Grab 'em if they're in good shape.
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited December 2004
    Anticipating your next question, here's a list of the 7 series monitors and their respective average retail prices (per pair):
    MONITOR 7 1977 - $170
    MONITOR 7A 1977 - $110
    MONITOR 7B 1979 - $200
    MONITOR 7C 1984 - $200
    MONITOR 7 SERIES 2 1990 - $220

The original stands are higly desirable, a plus to the pricing, and pretty much required for the monitors to phase accurately.
  • KCF
    edited December 2004
    I didn't see any evidence of stands (tho I didn't check the bottoms), were they optional / detachable? Any sense of current market rate if they're decent? Does the coated PR ID them as belonging to the later series?

Thanks, by the way, picker!

K
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited December 2004
    You're more than welcome, K.

Sorry, that's about the extent of the info I can find at the moment. The stands, if original, add to the sets value. How much? That's totally arbitrary. Some of the forum members have fabricated their own stands, and may have a set of plans available.

Take a look here for the parts info on the different monitors. You'll see that the tweeters and PRs can help you identify which 7 you're looking at.

Mike
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited December 2004
    I have a set of original stands for the Mon5-10....I'll post pics and measurements tomorrow night.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited December 2004
    I use two Wood Technology 12" center speaker stands for my 10's. They're roughly the same height (I believe that the polk stands were 11") and have what must be a similar incline (3 degrees, I believe?), at least I would think so.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • KCF
    edited December 2004
    More specifics:
    Polk Monitor Series II, serials M7-9008775, and 9008773.

Thanks to all, any addtl. info appreciated!
    (including availability of stands..)

Kevin

PS: they sound amazingly good for the size... It appears the mid may be gone in 1, will be checking parts listings for replacement costs..
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2004
    Kevin,

do a search in here for monitor 7's. i think you'll find that most everyone loves them. Very well liked speaker from Polks past...
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • KCF
    edited December 2004
    Just out of curiosity, anyone got info on what these speakers (Series II monitors 7s) originally sold for retail?
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by KCF
    Just out of curiosity, anyone got info on what these speakers (Series II monitors 7s) originally sold for retail?

MSRP: $300.00
  • KCF
    edited December 2004
    I'm thinkin' that's each...

Thanks, Pick
  • KCF
    edited December 2004
    Double post, from out of the blue...

Thanks, Pick
  • B3Nut
    B3Nut Posts: 76
    edited December 2004
    Would anybody perchance have a 7B crossover schematic? I'd like to try to tame a nasal peak around 1K in mine, I think maybe the tweeter caps have drifted, the tweet seems to be crossed lower than it should be.

Thanks,

TP