Upgraded STA 11t pair For Sale

Options
peter hx
peter hx Posts: 2
edited December 2004 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Hi, fellow Polk lovers. Longtime lurker 1st time poster here. I have much appreciated all the good info I've gotten here over the past few years so I thought I'd see if any of y'all were interested in these before putting them up on ebay.

I have been a professional composer/sound designer for about 20-some years; I bought these 11t's from an old guy in a trailer park [no, really] about 7 years ago for my home stereo setup and to have another set of non-studio monitors for mix reference. I am the 2nd owner.

I'm only selling them because I'm moving to Brazil for a while and they're a bit big for the overhead bins on United.

They have been run in series with an 18" DBX subwoofer, driven efficiently by a Bedini amp with at least 250 watts/channel and an Adcom pre/receiver. [Don't remember the exact specs for the amp.] At 11:00 on the Adcom volume pot it's plenty loud and anything over 12 is party time/windows be rattlin'. 99% of the time it hasn't been over 9:00, so they haven't been worked real hard...the first guy drove them with an NAD 3300.

One of the tweeters was going last year and before I realized it was a lost cause I replaced the caps in both monitors with high quality polypro and mylar Dayton and Solens and also new inductors while I was at it. Then ended up replacing the bad tweeter anyway. [SL2000]

Long story short version: they sound great, and are now more or less equivalent to the very best Polks from that era, which [as I understand from reading this forum] all used essentially the same woofer/tweeter components but employed better elements in the crossovers.

They are the dark walnut 'veneer' style and have one scratch on the left side of one monitor which you probably won't notice when set up. Otherwise they look purty dang good. The grilles are a bit flappy around the edges which I will fix on demand, but I prefer the way they look without them, so they've mostly been shelved. These beauties will ship in their original boxes!
I'd like to get $500.00 plus shipping. I'm guessing Fed-Ex ground will be at least $40/each, but Greyhound station to station is much cheaper...you can arrange shipping however you like and I'll be happy to drop them off.

You can check my ebay feedback
http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/feedback-login.html
ID=rocketsurgeon

Some blah blah blah about me if you need it:
http://groove-button.com/Peter_Hunrichs_Bio.html

Thanks for looking!
If it sounds good, it is good.
--Duke Ellington
Post edited by peter hx on

Comments

• polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Do you mean "RTA" 11t? If so, that price is WAY too optimistic IMHO. The 11Ts tend to go in the $100-200/pair range in my experience. Also, pictures would help, especially given the faults you describe....

[If it's not RTA 11T you're referring to, my apologies. I've never heard of an "STA 11T" from polk though...]
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by polksda
    Do you mean "RTA" 11t? If so, that price is WAY too optimistic IMHO. The 11Ts tend to go in the $100-200/pair range in my experience. Also, pictures would help, especially given the faults you describe....

[If it's not RTA 11T you're referring to, my apologies. I've never heard of an "STA 11T" from polk though...]

He mentioned the tweeter, SL2000, so they are RTA11T's.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • peter hx
    peter hx Posts: 2
    edited December 2004
    Options
    They are indeed RTA's. Typolexia once again rears it's ugly hed. (sic) Thanks for catching that; sorry for the confusion.

As for the price, well, if the best I can get for them is a couple hundred I'll probably sell them to one of my local friends under the 'you gotta sell them back to me for the same price if you ever decide to ditch them' plan.

ciao
    If it sounds good, it is good.
    --Duke Ellington