First timer

BigJim
BigJim Posts: 48
edited December 2004 in Vintage Speakers
Hi all ! I am a big Polk fan, buying my first set, 7b's, in the early eighties. I still have them, and SDA CRS+. I have a chance to pick up a set of 3.1tl's in ok condition to replace the CRS's. My questions are, what are they worth (approx), and am I gaining much going from the CRS+ to the 3.1tl's?

In the 3.1tl's, one of the tweeters is mashed in but works, the other is'nt bashed but does'nt work, the rest of the drivers are good. The cabinets are so-so, a couple good chips in the tops.

Any advise/input is appreciated.
Thanks, Jim.
Post edited by BigJim on

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited December 2004
    Replacement tweeters are about $60-$75/pop so remember that when figuring out the price Someone here will chime in on a good price for the 3.1's.

Remember to drop your CRS's here if you decide to part with them.... Preferrably to me! :D
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited December 2004
    Hey BigJim welcome to the forum. Are you using the SDA cable for your CRS+'s? If so I'll bet your front stage for 2 channel sounds Awsome!

What kind of Amp are you running?

Hey JD is that a forward looking??? DIBS:D

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2004
    Hi BigJim and welcome. Here's some info on the speakers you're thinking about buying:

POLK
    SPK, SRS 3.1TL SIGNATURE REFERENCE

Description:
    Manufacture Years: 1991 - 1992
    Retail
    MSRP: $2,000.00 (pair)
    USED: $700.00 (each)
    Wholesale
    Mint: $425.00 (each)
    Average: $250.00 (each)

BTW - I believe F1nut has some minty tweeters that may drop right into your new acquisition.

Mike

edit for my dyslexia
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited December 2004
    BTW - I'm placing triple, psychic dibs on the CRS's :D
  • BigJim
    edited December 2004
    Thanks for the input. I will let the CRS's go here if I decide to get the 3.1's. Are the replacement tweeters from Polk as good as the originals, or should I try to get the real deal? Are these speakers easy to restore? take apart? The wood on the cabinets is black. Is this original? Thanks, Jim.
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by BigJim
    Thanks for the input. I will let the CRS's go here if I decide to get the 3.1's. Are the replacement tweeters from Polk as good as the originals, or should I try to get the real deal? Are these speakers easy to restore? take apart? The wood on the cabinets is black. Is this original? Thanks, Jim.

Jim,

Take a look at this thread regarding the SL3000's:

SL3000

As I mentioned earlier, I believe F1nut still has a pair for sale. I don't know about the original finish, but you shouldn't need to take anything apart to replace tweeters. And, all internal wiring and crossover components are accessible by removing the drivers or passive radiator.

Mike
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited December 2004
    The 3.1TL's did come in all black, yes they are easy to work on and yes I have some SL3000's in the original boxes in perfect NOS condition. Oh yeah, yes you will notice a big difference between the CRS+ and the 3.1TL's. There is no subsitute for large radiating surfaces, so buy them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jdhdiggs
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by HBombToo
    Hey BigJim welcome to the forum. Are you using the SDA cable for your CRS+'s? If so I'll bet your front stage for 2 channel sounds Awsome!

What kind of Amp are you running?

Hey JD is that a forward looking??? DIBS:D

HBomb

Shoot H-bomb, you kept beating me on Russ' deals so I figured I might have to... Anyway, I would expect them to go up for grabs the same way all other items do, no dibs, just an exposing of interest that rings throughout the forum...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • BigJim
    edited December 2004
    $300 for the pair, I'll post some pictures tonite. Will be looking for any and all help with the resto project. Already looks like replacing the side cloth wont be easy! And F1nut, please hold a set for me...
    Thanks, Jim.
  • F1nut
    edited December 2004
    Jim,

Congrats, you got a great deal. Those side panels are tough to remove as they are glued on. You'll need to use a thin piece of metal like a large putty knife to pry them off. Worst case, if they break you can replace the panel with new MDF board. I'm holding 2 tweeters for you.

Jesse

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jdhdiggs
    edited December 2004
    OMFG! Nice robbery! Congrats!

While your doing the restoration, look up some of the mods Raife / Darquenight has made to his. Would be as good of a time as any to do them and with the deal you got on the speakers you ought to have some room for new caps/inductors etc... even after the tweets and still be way ahead of what those things go for on E-bay.
  • BigJim
    edited December 2004
    Can the drivers themselves be cleaned? Any way to make sure all drivers are working? They sound good except for the inop tweeter, cant wait to get started. Will need to unload the CRS+'s though to insure the health of my marriage!
    Jim.
  • BigJim
    edited December 2004
    Or is this not a good idea..
  • BigJim
    edited December 2004
  • F1nut
    edited December 2004
    The drivers can be cleaned with Windex. Apply to a clean soft cotton rag and then wipe in a circular motion. Do not use Armor All!!!

You can put a ear up to each driver to test them, if one isn't working it should be obvious. You want these tweeters?

President of Club Polk

• michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Do not use Armor All!!!

lmao... but then they'll be all shiny and perty :D

Have fun with your speakers... I too hope to snatch some sdas in the near future myself.