center for sda 2's

dudeinaroom
dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
edited December 2004 in Vintage Speakers
I found some one selling a polk r15 and was wondering if it would blend well with sda 2's, I would be useing it as a center channel speaker any help would be great.
Post edited by dudeinaroom on

Comments

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    edited November 2004
    probably not, is a completly different tweeter.
    might want to go with something from the monitor line. i use monitor 5's myself, and it workes well with my rta-12 mains and when i tried to use my SDA-2b's as mains as well. going with something with the same tweeter and drivers will definitly be better.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • dudeinaroom
    edited November 2004
    I'm also looking at a cs 150
  • ohskigod
    edited November 2004
    i have heard that the old CS line of centers will fly in this case (as a center for SDA's) and have seen it done, but not the 150. waaaaaaaaay to small. you need the 400 at least

just as a note, and please do not take this the wrong way, but you can not skimp on the center in a home theater. it's just too important. especially when you have a kick **** set of mains to work with. the center is a very important component of the theater, arguably the most imprtant speaker in the set up.

again, i would look on the bay or audiogon (or the flea market) for a set of the old monitor line and run a pair of centers with the same tweet as you have (probably the SL2000) works for me, like a charm.

i'm hoping others will chime as, as they are much more knowlegable than me, but they will all echo the same point of getting the best center speaker possible. this i have learned from experience.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • dudeinaroom
    edited November 2004
    thanks for the info, ieas looking at on (150) on ebay, starting bid of $9.99 but it has a few days left. Are the monitors sheilded, these will be ging right on top of my T.V. and i don't think one will fit there as the T.V. is placed in an entertainment center
  • ohskigod
    edited November 2004
    the monitors, as far as i know, are not shielded. i have mine on top of my TV, but it is a projection TV, maybe that is why i do not have a problem with it. that might be a strong argument for getting the cs400 instead of the monitors. i cant predict if you will have a problem.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2004
    osg,
    You are correct, the old Monitors are not shielded. That you have a RPtv is exactly why the Mon 5 has no effect.

dude,
    First question is which SDA 2's do you own, i.e., what tweeter do yours have. That'll determine which Mon 5 you need to look for or how well a CS will work for you.

If you go the Monitor route, you can install bucking magnets to add shielding.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dudeinaroom
    edited December 2004
    my babies are the b's. and as for a center, it does not have to be an exact voice match. Just closer than what I have now, which is a pair of panasonic cheapies, they match my surrounds, they will be replaced with polks, the panasonics were a matched 5 speaker set all 5 are exactly the same. any ways, i had to use two of them to match the brightness of the polks.
  • mhw58
    mhw58 Posts: 359
    edited December 2004
    I use the CS400i with my SDA1's and 2's and I think it's an excellent match.
    Mike
    Fronts: SDA1C's
    Rears: SDA2's
    Center:CS400i
    Sub: PSW505