newbie questions

Options
Aqs612scag
Aqs612scag Posts: 102
edited November 2004 in Vintage Speakers
Hello,
I just got a pair of polk monitor 5A's, could somebody explain the reason why there are 2 small holes on the tweeters (I read somewhere that it is for cooling purposes) I would appreciate it if you can give a more thorough explaination and what's the impendance of these speakers.
Thanks
Post edited by Aqs612scag on

Comments

• Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited November 2004
    Options
    You mean one tiny hole in each of the tweet??? Those would be the infamous Peerless tweets. As for the purpose i dont know just that they were done by hand with precision with a hot slder iron. Russman would be the guy to respond as for the actual purpose if this??? I never asked why.

Paul
    Life without music would
  • B3Nut
    B3Nut Posts: 76
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Nominal impedance should be 8 ohms. Those Peerless tweeters are spectacular...my 7B's have em. So smooth and listenable...love them. You'll love those 5A's.

TP
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I think the hole has more to do with the sound of the tweeter, not the cooling. But I could be wrong. Russ would know absolutely what the purpose is.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I'm flattered that you guys think my brain has ALL the Polk answers.

Fact is, I can't remember why Polk did it. Stu Lumsden explained it to me, but like a moron, I was probally pouring beer down my chest during said explanation.

I could make up something fairly techincal, like it made for a better on-axis dispersion, with less 'beaming', but I almost recall they did it - to simply make it their own, to make it different.

I'll ask Stu monday.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Damnit, Russ.... you're supposed to KNOW :(

:p
    Ludicrous gibs!