SDA-CRS Tweeters

Options
egp823
egp823 Posts: 74
edited November 2004 in Vintage Speakers
What model no are my gold colored tweeters? Could not find reference at back of tweeters. The drivers MW6510 and 6511 were manufactured 1990. Thanks a lot for any help.
Post edited by egp823 on

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Parts List

Also available by clicking "Service and Parts" in the site heading.
  • egp823
    edited November 2004
    Options
    thanks but from the forums they said that there were different tweets installed in the speakers ( depending on manufacturing dates) models 2000,2500 and 3000 . Just wanted to know what model mine came with.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited November 2004
    Options
    It appears that if you have the drivers you listed, the tweeters are SL2000's. Is your SDA IC a Pin/Blade?

CRS+ PIN/BLADE SDA CONNECTOR

SL2000 MW6510 MW6511
  • egp823
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Yes it has the pin and blade connector. Are all SDA tweeters gold colored? So I guess will have to order the silk dome upgrade. In the forum SDA heirarchy, i thought the 5th generation (1989)SDA's all had the SL3000 upgrade. Since my drivers were made 1990 I presumed it had the SL2500 or 3000. tks
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited November 2004
    Options
    SDA CRS+'s didn't come with SL3000 tweeters. Did you buy the speakers new or used? Either way what I find strange is that there are no markings on them. Can you post a pic?

No Polk tweeters are gold colored, however some SL3000's have been known to have somewhat of a gold hue.

If you are dead set on replacing your tweeters with SL3000's, perhaps I can help.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• egp823
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Bought them used. It has a gold hue. If all 2000's have a silver hue , then this must be a later model. Will post pics tonight.
  • F1nut
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Ok, those appear to be SL3000's that you have, but they are not the correct tweeters for that speaker. The correct tweeter for your speakers are the SL2000's which Polk called a silver coil, however they are not silver in color, actually they look more like glazed over fish eyes with twisted wires running out of the left and right sides.

If you like the sound as is and need new SL3000's I have some for sale, however I think you would be happier with the proper tweeters for the speakers.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• egp823
    edited November 2004
    Options
    ok thanks. will take up your suggestion on the proper tweets. would you know the model no for the silk dome replacement for the SL2000's? I read about this in the other forums . Would this be a good move? By the way what would be the difference between the SL2000's and 3000's? What would i expect if i change? thanks
  • F1nut
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Call Polk and they'll tell you the proper number because I can't remember it off the top of my head. I do know that Polk has them on back order until Friday the 12th.

You'll find them to be smoother without a edge.

President of Club Polk

• egp823
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Will do that. Thanks a lot.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited November 2004
    Options
    egp823,

You can easily determine exactly which tweeters you have if they are original Polk tweeters. I am not aware of any SL2000 tweeters that had a gold color. All of my SL3000 tweeter domes have a gold metallic dome, but I have seen color ranges from dark bronze, to gold, to dark silver.

The wire terminals of the SL2000 will consist of narrow metal flanges the same size. The resistance of the the SL2000 will measure approximately 7.5 ohms.

The wire terminals of the SL3000 will consist of a narrow metal flange and a wide metal flange. The resistance of the the SL3000 will measure approximately 5.6 ohms.

Some people replaced their SL2000 tweeters with SL3000 tweeters thinking that was all they needed to do to "upgrade" their SDA's.

The CRS+'s crossover circuit can be modified to use the SL3000 tweeter. A 5.8 uF capaciter must be placed in parallel with the 2.7 ohm resistor (this is the only resistor in the crossover).

I am wondering if you even have Polk tweeters. If they are Polk tweeters, they should have a model number and date sticker on the back. It would certainly help if you could post a picture. I have seen several Polk speakers on eBay that have had the original Polk tweeters replaced with something else.

The part number for the SL2000 replacement is RD0194-1. The part number for the SL3000 replacement is RD0198-1.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • egp823
    edited November 2004
    Options
    opened up the other cabinet and tweeter had a sticker it is the sl2000. tks
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I have owned quite a few SL2000's with a "Gold" colored dome. I almost always see it, as I hate that tweeter anyways.

It's the sure sign of upcoming replacement when I see that tell-tale nicotine colored dome.

Buy the replacement, your ears will thank you.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.