Is it just me?

shepx2
shepx2 Posts: 646
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Or do DTS soundtracks have less bass than DD ones? I have about 10 discs with both on them, and with the exception of one, the DTS low end sucks. Has anyone else experienced this? Or is it my Onkyo 777? Or do I need to admit myself to the mental ward?

Shepx2
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited February 2002
    your not alone i think some of my dd dvd's sound better then some of my dts dvd's must be in the mix of the audio in some of them.

scott:cool:
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2002
    Through personal exper. and DVD reviews I have seen it both ways. But I do have acouple DTS tracks and the bass is clearly stronger than the DD. Try a comparision with Shrek. The DD track is a little boomy, where as the DTS track bass is clearly stronger and tighter. It may just be a matter a taste. DTS is totally not groundbreaking sound in comparsion to DD. But there is some diffences in clarity and bass from one to the other. Have Fun:)
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited February 2002
    Take Terminator 2 for instance. The DD track may be a bit 'boomy' at times, but the DTS track has NO bass whatsoever.
    Personally, I like the smoothness of the DTS tracks, I just wish they'd give my sub a little more of a workout sometimes!

Shep
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited February 2002
    While watch the fast and the furious in DTS I noticed very little sound coming out of the rear surround speakers.
    Watched in DD and it was much fuller.
    I dunno danno?

-luc
  • tjweeks
    tjweeks Posts: 6
    edited February 2002
    DTS, unlike DD5.1, come in both a 5.0 and a 5.1 version. Unless the DVD you are watching expressly states DTS 5.1, then it does not carry a dedicated LFE signal.
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited February 2002
    on my onkyo when you go into set up on there is a spot where you can adjust the dts, dd lfe levels. on the dts the onkyo manual sugest thjat you turn the dts lfe level to +10 this is hoe i have mine set up makes a difference.
    i am not at my house so i cant go in to step by step how to get into the exact location of this.
    hope this post sounds ok as i have a bit of a beer buzz:D
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60