Blew an RT 16 mid, am I SOL?

Options
ScottLindner
ScottLindner Posts: 15
edited January 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I blew one of my RT 16 mids. Sounds totally awful. Can I buy a replacement somewhere or is it too old?

Maybe I should just convince the old lady that the whole thing is shot and we gotta get something new. :)

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Scott Lindner

BTW.. this is my first post here. I couldn't find any information elsewhere so I figured I'd ask the people that know.
Post edited by ScottLindner on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,030
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Polk Audio should still carry these drivers...

Give Ken and a call and mention you are a Club Polk member...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ScottLindner
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Forgive my ignorance but who is Ken and where can I find his contact information?

Good news by the way. I'm very happy to hear that.

Scott
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Scott,

Welcome to the forum.

You can reach Ken the guru at 800-377-7655.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ScottLindner
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Scott,

Welcome to the forum.

You can reach Ken the guru at 800-377-7655.

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Scott
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Scott, welcome to the Club...

You're wired with the above 800 number, but for future reference there's a general link to CS is at the top of every forum page, "Service and Parts".

Ken, will be able to help you, but Helen is the parts lady. Don't forget to mention you are a member of the Club, as we get a little off the list prices and free shipping.

Are you a Brit?

Cheers...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • ScottLindner
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Scott, welcome to the Club...

You're wired with the above 800 number, but for future reference there's a general link to CS is at the top of every forum page, "Service and Parts".

Doh.. I feel like an idiot now. I looked through the website but I couldn't find information on my speakers and decided to check the forum for information. It's my nature I guess to try to find the answers myself via the website and when I can't to seek out forums since forums are the best resource for things like this.

Ken, will be able to help you, but Helen is the parts lady. Don't forget to mention you are a member of the Club, as we get a little off the list prices and free shipping.

Great tip. Thanks!

Are you a Brit?

LOL.. no. I'm an American. I'm a homebrewer and most homebrewers take on the "cheers" but I also have been doing a lot of business with British companies over the past couple of years and some of the culture stuck. For one.. I cannot determine the correct spelling for English words anymore and I interchange British and US spellings. Thank God for spell checkers!

Cheers
    Scott
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Roger that... Damn Brit's had me analysing things for a while as well... If they never use 'zed', then why is it in their alphabet?

Don't be embarassed. I have stored almost every parts list and other bit of info as a separate favorite because I had so much trouble navigating the "library"...

Don't be a stranger in the Club...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by ScottLindner
    Maybe I should just convince the old lady that the whole thing is shot and we gotta get something new. :)
    Where do you live exactly? Curiousity causes me to ask........ ;)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,030
    edited October 2004
    Options
    4 pairs...Brett...jeez dude

Collection?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ScottLindner
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by brettw22
    Where do you live exactly? Curiousity causes me to ask........ ;)

San Diego.

Still haven't ordered the replacement yet. Too busy. The wife noticed the sound the other day and asked what was wrong with the DVD. I said "That's the speaker problem I was telling you about." She said "Well get that thing fixed!"

Sweet...

Cheers,
    Scott
  • ScottLindner
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I finally got around to order the new driver. I was very impressed with Polk's service. thank you for the tips! Mentioning I was a Club Polk member saved me $16 on the price of the item and got my free shipping. Very nice!

I installed it last night but was so excited to get it done that I forgot to pay attention to the polarity of the wires when removing them from the old speaker. I could open the other speaker to see what's going on but I'd rather not if I don't have to. Anyone know what the proper polarity should be? At the moment, I have the white wire on the connector with red paint.

Cheers,
    Scott