Model 12B's Needing Good Home

Options
Kernel32
Kernel32 Posts: 4
edited October 2004 in Vintage Speakers
We are the original owners (1980?) of a pair of Polk Audio Model 12B Real-Time Array speakers looking for someone in the Seattle/Tacoma area who would be interested in owning them. We just don't have the room for them (and haven't actually used them for some time), but can't bring ourselves to put them into someone's hands who wouldn't appreciate them. We think at least one of them needs some work, but we haven't actually been able to find the cables yet to try them out. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.
Post edited by Kernel32 on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Hey Danger Boy, you should pick these up for sure. Anyone else local would get a real kick out of these speakers.

I like the RTA12C's I have, just not the original tweeter, but that's a non-issue now.

What are you asking for these?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Kernel32
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Ouch! You get right to the point. Honestly, no idea but probably not much. I'm doing some research now (based on some info from tour2ma re the monitor 11's posted earlier) for "Orion Data". And like I said, we haven't been able to try them out yet. Thanks for any help.
  • VE6OHV
    VE6OHV Posts: 119
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I'll be near Hope BC next month - if you are not in a big hurry I could swing south and meet up with you. Let me know what your asking price is - would you ship them cross border?
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Very nice of you to offer them up here...
    Originally posted by Kernel32
    We think at least one of them needs some work, but we haven't actually been able to find the cables yet to try them out.
    Cables? :confused:

Price-wise these are not high-dollar to begin with, and if they have a problem.... Closer to Orions "mint wholesale" than their "Used" price...

EDIT: They are sweet looking...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dharding
    dharding Posts: 61
    edited October 2004
    Options
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2004
    Options
    The average price on them would be <$240, and that would be in mint condition. They look very nice, more pictures perhaps?

This is based on Audiogon and Orion, as well as personal experience.

What do you need in order to check them out? I can mail you some speaker wire if that's all you need.....
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2004
    Options
    hey just got online today.. whew.. i'll be in the Seattle area this coming weekend. woo hoo.

I should at least stop by and give em a look see and a listen. if possible.

:D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Danger Boy- Just take some gear w/ you. When I wanted to buy my monitor 10's a while back, the person selling them no longer had a receiver or source. So I just took what I needed with me, loved the speakers and brought them home :-D.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • danger boy
    edited October 2004
    Options
    that's not a bad idea.. except.. i hate to lug around any gear like that for a three day weekend.. i've got a Neon.. where would i put two large speakers, a receiver and two people? :D

I would think the seller would have some kind of receiver or something to listen to these with.

We'll see if he responds or not. I really don't know much about the 12B RTA's.
  • Kernel32
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Hi and thanks to everyone for their responses.

Hopefully, we'll be meeting up with Danger Boy to see what's what. Definitely have a receiver, but still looking for those cables/wires.

Sorry, VE60HV, but packing up a pair of 75lb speakers isn't what we had in mind.

For Dorokusai, the guy with the straight answers, this pics for you - enjoy!
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Al - Looks as though they are nice and Kernel sounds cool as well. You should definetly get them either way, as there is nothing that can't be fixed on them....if anything is wrong in the first place.

Thanks for the picture, it looks sexy :D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2004
    Options
    They do look really neat; however, what in the world is that on top of them?!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited October 2004
    Options
    That looks to be the crossover
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • krimney
    krimney Posts: 44
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I've got a set of RTA 12c in calgary if you are interested. let me know.
    So many speakers, so little time..
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Hey Kernel, where in the SeaTac area are you? I'll be moving back to Seattle (Issaquah) in a couple months and space pending on my new apartment could be very interested in these. I've listened to Danger's Monitor 7s and loved them.
  • rscamer
    rscamer Posts: 70
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Krimney do you have any pictures of the rta12c's?
  • krimney
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Here is the only pic I have right now, I could take some more tomorrow if I have the time. The one in the middle is an RTA 11, the one on the left a monitor 10. All are for sale;)
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Dang Krimney! You just need some Monitor 12s.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • danger boy
    edited October 2004
    Options
    looks like he's got some Monitor 12c's RTA
  • krimney
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I got a set of Monitor 4 from my uncle on the weekend. I think I need a couple woofers for them. One won't even move and the other is scratchy. I haven't powered them up to test any further.
  • rscamer
    rscamer Posts: 70
    edited October 2004
    Options
    what prices are you asking for each set?
  • krimney
    edited October 2004
    Options
    rscamer

email me direct or send me a PM and we can discuss. I don't really want to ship any of these if it can be avoided so we'd need to work out other transportation.

Ken
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I meant the non-RTA version with 4 M/Ws per cabinet.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Ken,
    Doing a little "Fall" house-cleaning?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • krimney
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I built a garage this summer and part of the deal was that if my GF paid for the electric opener she could use the garage this winter...so I gotta make room:(
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Well, I think it's great that you are going to let your GF use the garage... Is it heated or are you jusrt going to give her a few extra blankets??? ;)

Wish I lived closer, or I'd be hitting you up for a volume discount...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Mothra
    Mothra Posts: 20
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Krimney...PM and email sent.
  • Ira B.
    Ira B. Posts: 2
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Does anybody know the difference between the RTA 12B and 12C's. I think I have the latter, but they don't have the little white button on the bass per the posted photo in this thread, though they are in the same cabinets, and have the same crossover.

When I got them, they had little "hats" over the crossovers that matched the front covers, but those are long gone. Are there any more of those top covers around, does anyone know.

And finally, I'm thinking of using these as front channel speakers for a home theater setup --or should I just sell these, and start fresh.

Thanks.
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Ira,
    1st welcome to the Club.

The b's and c's had different mid-woofers and late edition C's also changed tweeters. Here's a link

You can check with Polk CS, Ken or Helen, but I'd bet a small fortune that the "hats" are long gone from stock.

If you'd like I can send you photos and measurements for them. Shouldn't be too hard to make a suitable replacement...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Ira B.
    Ira B. Posts: 2
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Thanks. I would like to see the measurements on the covers, though I see from the photos, that people seem to like them naked. (This last statement will undoubtedly trigger an FBI/NSA file --sorry!)

Anyway, I was wondering if they might be good front channel speakers on a home theater set up.

Again, thanks, and I will ask about stock with no expectations.

I.