again .. what speaker do I have ...

Options
TVP
TVP Posts: 5
edited September 2004 in Vintage Speakers
Hey All ...

I've been hunting high and low and can't find any info on these .. it says Model 5 on them .. monitor 5 ??? idunno :\

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5720751900
Post edited by TVP on

Comments

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2004
    Options
    yup, looks like monitor 5's...... maybe one of the first m5's being the tweeter being used in those..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • TVP
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Hey ...

thanks for the quick responce !! I needed to verify the power rating .. I hooked them up to an onkyo that has blown 4 sets of speakers :\ ... only 100 watts and I've killed some really nice 150watt speakers with it :( .. hopefully these earn thier name sake !! ... took a 2 hour pounding last night .. so far so good :)

TVP
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Your word for the day is:

CLIPPING

Search, read, learn.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TVP
    edited September 2004
    Options
    or square wave for the unintiated ..... isn't 100 watts .. 100 watts , even if it's DC ??????? :)

thanks

TVP
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Mr. RuSsman's Neighborhood???

Dude, it's the amp... underpowered... do the search... Prepare to be roasted and toasted if you blow those precious, Peerless Tweeters.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited September 2004
    Options
    I 2nd Russmans thoughts on this.........clipping..clipping.

:confused: ...............Pat
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited September 2004
    Options
    isn't 100 watts .. 100 watts , even if it's DC ?

Uh, no. Not in this case. RMS, etc.

Power ratings mean practically nothing anyway. If you're blowing speakers with that Onkyo, then you don't have enough power to listen at the volumes you're trying to listen to.

Either turn it down or get a better amp.

That's about as nicely as you're gonna hear it on here.
  • TVP
    edited September 2004
    Options
    like the quakers say ... if assumptions were consumption we'd all be dead ... so ASSUME all you want ... maybe the speakers in question were over rated ?? naaahhh... that is FAR too obvious for ALL you audiophiles... it must be that I'm a NEWBIE HERE , I MUST BE A NEWBIE EVERYWHERE ??? ... maybe the amp rating was in RMS with 2 dB of head room driving 8 ohms and the speakers at max load and 4 ohm ... hhmmm... again FAR to obvious for you audiophiles .... you know it ALL right ?????

assume ALL you want ... I'm used to it ... but please do try and focus on the questions at hand :)

thanx

TVP
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Is your power ratings per channel all channels driven, or do they follow the standard receiver logic?? Also, there might be something wrong with your oink in the amp section if it keeps blowing speaks...

One blown set, maybe the speaks, but 4 it must be the amp. If your woofers start clacking and ports start farting, then you are overpowering the speaker. If the thing shorts out and/or you lose your highs, you clipped and your amp gave out. Sometimes clipping can destroy the low end as well.

DC to a speaker is evil. Remember, speakers see an AC ciruit that pushes and pulls the cone causing conection cooling and the like. What happens when you only push? Protection ciruits overload and VC's over heat melting them and causing your speaks to die.

If your the only one disagreeing with this premise, perhaps you might look at your own assumptions?
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • TVP
    edited September 2004
    Options
    actually it was a snide comment ... seems everyone likes to focus on it and not the fact that I was only looking for information on the speakers ...... but thanks anyway ....

TVP
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by TVP
    actually it was a snide comment ... seems everyone likes to focus on it and not the fact that I was only looking for information on the speakers ...... but thanks anyway ....

TVP

does this mean let the thread die?:confused:

its the low freq that your system does not handle well. The amp clips(square wave, steady state in the (+) across the speakers... "DC" current and there goes the voice coil. its all gooo:p

Good Call Mr. Gates.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by TVP
    I hooked them up to an onkyo ... only 100 watts and I've killed some really nice 150watt speakers with it
    ... took a 2 hour pounding last night .. so far so good :)
    TVP
    Well... with statements like this, you have feigning ignorance down to a science...

Sorry for trying to help you preserve the gems you've got now...

Over and out...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Clip, clop, clip, clip, clip.........BANG!

Another one bites the dust, another one bites the dust.......nah, it couldn't be the Oink owner turning the volume up too high, could it??? :rolleyes:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mjr7531
    Mjr7531 Posts: 856
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by TVP

TVP

faster100 answered the question first post on this thread. You then said you blew a bunch of speakers on one amp, they were only giving advice. I'm sure none of them tried to insult your intelligence. I would suggest you simply look into what they are suggesting, it's worth a shot and it can't really hurt and it will undoubtedly save you $$$ in the end.