Detailed pics of SDA 2 A?

Options
pmlewis
pmlewis Posts: 100
edited September 2004 in Vintage Speakers
I just got a pair of SDA 2's. I think they are the "A" model because the interconnect cable has 2 flat pins. I think that the speakers used to have top and bottom and side panels, but they are currently missing. I would like to make new pieces, but I have not been able to locate any close-up pictures of the top and bottom caps. Are the edges and corners rounded or sharp? I have seen some SDA's with a little base on the bottom. Was that an option? I am assuming that the side panels are just MDF covered in fabric. If anyone knows where some close-up pics are posted please let me know. Also, these are not an original matched pair. The serial numbers are about 1000 #'s apart and one is marked SDA II and the other is SDA 2, but at least they are left and right. Do you think this will make much of a difference?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Post edited by pmlewis on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Do you have some pictures of yours?

Why do you say it "used" to have panels? Are there holes in the top and bottom? Unless there are holes, it never had top or bottom caps.

The base was not an option, it was model specific.

What is the driver configuration of the speaker?

If it had side panels, they are pressboard wrapped in fabric.

No it doesn't make a difference about the serial numbers unless the speakers look different :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • pmlewis
    pmlewis Posts: 100
    edited September 2004
    Options
    I think they had panels because there is glue (looks tan like industrial adhesive) on top bottom and sides. There appears to be some kind of nail or staples left in the top of the speakers that the previous owner tried to cut off and cover up with some kind of red filler. The one grill that I have is about 1/2 wider than the speaker on either side, and I assume that this was to cover the side panels. The boxes as they are now have a black wood grain laminate that I seem to remember in another posting is what the studio version looked like. I assumed that someone was trying to refinish these and decided to dump them before they finished. I guess it is possible that they are the studio version and someone tried to make them into the standard version and failed miserably. Either way, I want to make them look as close to the original version as possible, except maybe in rosewood instead of oak.

The configuration is 1 center-mounted tweeter, two mids and a passive radiator.

The person I got these from said he got them a couple of years ago of Ebay and they arrived like this, but he wasn't told about the glue or damaged corners. He said he never go around to refinishing them and now needed some cash.

You can see a picture of them at ebay item number: 5718090809

Also, if anyone has any experience refinishing speakers and has any tips they would be appreciated.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Those look like SDA2B's, but the Interconnect cable is not consistent with that model. It doesn't really matter, as the aesthetics are what you are concerned about. You can get a better idea of the model if you pull the drivers, and look at the model number on the rear, magnet structure....or the sticker on the crossover.

F1Nut can guide you in the refinishing department, PM him for information.

I think you're correct in thinking that it was an unfinished project. My SDA1C use bolts for the end caps....and I restored the sides of mine due to some imperfections. If they used glue on that model, which certainly looks like they did at that time, I did not know that.

The fabric is no longer available from Polk, but suitable replacement fabrics can be found at a chain type fabric store.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Hey, $95 and local pick up for working (?) SDA 2's, not bad at all...

Do look like studios...

(Attaching pic so I don't have to call up the ebay listing again)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited September 2004
    Options
    I would say that they had the caps and side panels, one of mine came unglued and underneth it is the blackash vinyl and the wider grill is consistant with they way mine were with the panel removed.

If I were you I would make some new side panels and cover them in grill cloth and attach them with some glue. One of us that has the same model could make you a template of the top and bottom so you could make new of those as well and just reattach them they way they were meant to be with the new bolts.

Cheers,
    Mike
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Mine i have im rebuilding has no bolts on the top and bottom caps. and someone removed the side panels on one speaker with intentions of redoing it, it looks just like the black on those there, and yes the grill overlaps without the side panels.. I can measure anything you need, side panels, top caps or what ever..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp