need new tweeter?

vintage3.1
vintage3.1 Posts: 6
edited September 2004 in Vintage Speakers
I've got a pair of 3.1TLs and the right tweeter is cutting out on me. Tapping on the tweeter will bring it back to life, but it eventually goes back to cutting in and out. After taking it out the connection appears to be solid, so that's not the problem.

Is there something else I can try, or do I just order up a replacment SL3000? Anyone think they'll sound mismatched w/ one new tweeter and one that's 12+ years old? I.E. should I just order two? Are there other replacement tweeters that would work in the 3.1s and perform better?

All comments/opinions welcome :)

PS: I'm new to the 'club'. The dedication to the SDAs is awesome! The only speakers I've ever heard that I like better are my buddy's SRTs.
Timing is everything.
Post edited by vintage3.1 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited August 2004
    Welcome to the forum.

Shameless plug......

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=21577
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vintage3.1
    edited August 2004
    Sorry, I only need one. I wouldn't want to break up that happy family of 8 either.

Guess I found the answer to my questions above here:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21003&highlight=sl3000

Looks like I'll order up two replacements.
    Timing is everything.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited August 2004
    Did you try swapping the right tweeter into the left speaker and vice-versa to see if the problem might be speaker related?

Sometimes the tweeter protection circuit (polyswitch) in the crossover will produce intermittent failures if it is going bad.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • vintage3.1
    edited August 2004
    Great suggestion ... so I tried that and so far I haven't heard any cutting out or distortion. That makes little sense to me, but whatever. Another thing I noticed in switching the tweeters is that I actually already have one of the replacement tweeters. I had completely forgotten that when I bought the speakers (which has been about 10 years ago already) one of the tweeters had to be replaced. I bought them used from a local store, and when I demo'd them on the floor I noticed that one of the tweeters was blown so they replaced it almost on the spot with a spare they had on hand.

In any event, it was the original tweeter that was having the problem, as that one is stamped with '3.1TL', while the other is not. Also the replacement tweeter is a darker color, while the original is silver (an attribute of the replacement sl3000 I think someone else pointed out in another post in this forum). I guess for now I'll just wait and see if the original starts acting up again.
    Timing is everything.
  • F1nut
    edited August 2004
    Ten years ago the replacement would have been another SL3000. Polk didn't start offering the new replacement tweeter until last year or so.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vintage3.1
    edited September 2004
    it is an SL3000 (as stamped on the back), however I thought that they still called the replacement speaker an SL3000. So what's the model number of the replacement? And why is it a darker color than the original?
    Timing is everything.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2004
    The SL3000 is a metal dome and the new one is a silk dome. The new part # is RD0198-1.

President of Club Polk