sda1 history

Options
boyfromOz
boyfromOz Posts: 2
edited August 2004 in Vintage Speakers
g'day folks,

Just been enjoying reading your comments regarding the SDAs...I'm with a lot of you guys in wishing they were still in production. I heard the SDA1 in a store here in Melbourne back in 1989, driven by a 50watt Forte power amp and CAL cd player. It's still the best sound I've ever heard....and yeah I know people tell me you cant remember sound that accurately, but I choose to hold on the belief...;)

Reason I'm writing is I hope you can help with a quick query... I've discovered a pair of SDA1s on eBay, but I don't know much about the SDA1 lineage. Please pardon what are possibly dumb question to you guys, but how many versions of the SDA1 came out? Is it possible to differentiate between versions because they had varying driver configurations from one incarnation to the next? And is there one particular version that is really sought after?

I'd be much obliged for any info you can give me..

ciao
Cam (newbie)
Post edited by boyfromOz on

Comments

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Do searches on "SDA history", "SDA hierarchy", and "SDA generations". you should see some thread titles that will be useful to you.

The drivers used with each version of the SDA 1 can be found here:SDA Series Parts List .
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • boyfromOz
    boyfromOz Posts: 2
    edited August 2004
    Options
    excellent, thanks!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Go to gimpod.com. He has a full page of SDA's with a picture of each to help identify model and lists drivers and crossover used in each model. Year(s) produced, which IC it uses, and usually a comment or note with useful info.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Ummm.....the OP hasn't been here since 2004, but you had to have known that, so why dig up this ancient thread?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Padding the ol'post count....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I didn't notice any post dates but will from now on before doing anything. Simply saw the thread in the two pages I see in the vintage speaker section on my phone and didn't see anyone mention gimpod's excellent work providing a lot of good info to the public.

Couldn't care any less about a post count.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    On A phone you will not see any post dates or counts...
    Unless you go back to the menu and open the "Full Site " tab in the lower menu for recent discussions. this thread stopped in 2004 so welcome to necro-threading :p
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Ya, he made it over 37,000!
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2017
    Options
    K_M wrote: »

See I was referring to Slapaho..... So see there you go..... AGAIN!!! Instigating
  • K_M
    Options
    K_M wrote: »

See I was referring to Slapaho..... So see there you go..... AGAIN!!! Instigating

Not if you have a sense of humour, then it is funny
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I have a fantastic sense of humor...WHEN something is funny, you, my dear instigator, are far from even remotely being funny.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • K_M
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I have a fantastic sense of humor...WHEN something is funny, you, my dear instigator, are far from even remotely being funny.

Oh No! I was never expecting a reply like that from you of all people....How unpredictable!
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    So what speakers has your husband designed? Or was that just a lie to try and impress the internet? Inquiring minds want to know.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • K_M
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    So what speakers has your husband designed? Or was that just a lie to try and impress the internet? Inquiring minds want to know.

Yes all was a lie. :s

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    I think I got the math a bit wrong, but would still get theory credit on the CPA exam.

You do earn troll points....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    Because throwing stones and living in glass houses man.

• F1nut
    Options
    Wow, I had no idea what my post count was or that it mattered to the trolls, but thanks for updating me.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    edited May 2017
    Options
    DUB my post was plainly clear before KM ever posted as i responded to slapaho.

You two are just unbelievable no matter how you want to dance DUB, KM it's no longer humorous as to how you are approaching matters. It is plainly clear as to what is going on here.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    9va9kt7dbk79.jpg

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2017
    Options
    DUB my post was plainly clear before KM ever posted as i responded to slapaho.

You two are just unbelievable no matter how you want to dance DUB, KM it's no longer humorous as to how you are approaching matters. It is plainly clear as to what is going on here.

Thank you for responding so quickly to my question. It would be helpful if you would plainly specify or quote the person you are remarking about (as you did in the first line of your reply). Sometimes what seems clear to you is not clear to others.

Hows this GFYS
    Or do i need to dumb it down more for you.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,271
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thank you for your very kind and thoughtful offer. It will not be necessary for you to dumb down your comments for me. I've been around vulgar and uncouth people before and I'll light a candle for you.
    DuB B)

Now, now, there's no need to drag your family into this foofarah ! :o

Which brings to mind a saying of one of my mentors:
    "You should be obscene and not heard"
    You've got the first part down, so congratulations ! Let's work on the second part, though. It needs some extra effort. :D

BTW: "light a candle". Are you posting from the water closet ?

I'm working on getting my "Useful" post count up to 50 so I can sell schtuff in the FM.

Sal Palooza
  • K_M
    Options
    I think I got the math a bit wrong, but would still get theory credit on the CPA exam.

You do earn troll points....

...and you earn the, "I put several on ignore, and brag about it in the forum, and still somehow reply back to all of them and repeatedly, tell them they are on ignore, several times again after the first announcement"

Great self control!
  • F1nut
    Options
    1976doc wrote: »
    I think that if you[r] post count is way more than you visits count that your mouth is open more than your ears

One should think and have all the facts before posting. If you did, you'd have realized the post counts go back to 2001 while the visit counts only go back to 2014. Not to mention that the visit counter didn't work for a long time.

You might want to apologize for your post now.

President of Club Polk