Effects of aiming a sub's output through a tube

LittleCar_w/12s
LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
edited August 2004 in Custom Fabrication
Ok, maybe someone can help me with this...
If I have a sub that is in a seaded enclosure matching the req's of the sub, then from the front of the sub out, there is a big pipe, lets say, the same diameter of the sub, and about 2 feet long. What would be the effects of this on the output, given the sub would cross-over to produce under 120HZ, to be generous??

Maybe the Polk installers can give some ideas... otherwise I'll just have to try it to see, maybe it'll be fun :)

-Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
Post edited by LittleCar_w/12s on

Comments

• MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited August 2004
    well.... it's tricky... you'd actually have to specifically tune the tube for the sub and freq's you'd want and it'd probably cut out a wide range of frequencies... unless you just want something REALY loud ( some guys did this in a competition and got something like 178dB's at i believe 37hz from one 10" with something like 200-400 watts runnin it.... they were disqualified cause the judges and other competitors didn't view it as real "bass") i'd recomend against it....
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited August 2004
    lol, i realize it'd be something along the lines of a freightliner horn, but i'd be interesting to see.

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    I would think it would be hard to pull off and not worth the effort once you did. Ive never tried this before but Ive never seen it done either which usually means it doesnt work to well.

It couldnt hurt to try it though. If nothing else, it would be cool to see what it sounds like.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D