DooM3

Comments

• Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by Shizelbs
    Just got done with 40 minutes of it. Now, thats one hell of a game. The graphics really are amazing. I was playing on high quality. I am using a 2800+, 9800XT and 1 gig RAM. It was slightly choppy at times, but nothing to even worry about. The graphics really are stunning.

For those of you who looked at the controls, id did keep the original movement keys so you can play the whole thing by keyboard just like you did in Doom 1. Kinda cool I think. I also love the remake of the fire throwing alien guy. Its awesome.

I really doubt the Xbox will do justice to the game and its graphics.

What resolution are you running at?
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by Terrax
    What resolution are you running at?

1280x1024
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2004
    do they still have the bfg9000? ahhh gotta love that gun, emptied rooms of monsteres with one hit. of course that was 50 plasma cells down the drain but hey who cares.

how do the graphics compare to unreal tournament 2004, which also has dynamic lighting and shadows, along with their ragdoll physics stuff. better? worse? **** kickingly better?

i just looked at screen shots and the game definitely looks awesome. very realistic. i just thought of something though. the original doom story was that all the critters popped out of hell, so whats with all the alien space ship looking stuff and the robotic or cyborg monsters? does hell have an assembly line for armies now? did they change the story, do i have the story wrong, or did someone just overlook that little detail?
  • Terrax
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by Airplay355
    do they still have the bfg9000? ahhh gotta love that gun, emptied rooms of monsteres with one hit. of course that was 50 plasma cells down the drain but hey who cares.

how do the graphics compare to unreal tournament 2004, which also has dynamic lighting and shadows, along with their ragdoll physics stuff. better? worse? **** kickingly better?

i just looked at screen shots and the game definitely looks awesome. very realistic. i just thought of something though. the original doom story was that all the critters popped out of hell, so whats with all the alien space ship looking stuff and the robotic or cyborg monsters? does hell have an assembly line for armies now? did they change the story, do i have the story wrong, or did someone just overlook that little detail?

All hell has broken lose, on a martian outpost. Demons are coming through and taking control of some of the people. Others are straight outta hell. As far as I can tell, and from what I've read, it pretty much follows the first Doom's story line.
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2004
    The BFG is back too.
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2004
    So who here is going to be the first to beat the game?
  • Terrax
    edited August 2004
    LoL, not me, I stop to look at the scenery too much. When I'm not jumping back away from the screen. :D
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by Demiurge
    It wasn't optimized for NVidia....NVidia shelled out the most cash to get their name on it.
    Well...sort of...

The id developers actually started off working more with ATI for the game. But then someone at ATI leaked out the alpha version (given to them by id for testing) on the internet a couple years back...they put a damper on the ATI/id relationship and was a huge factor in working more with Nvidia.

And while I wouldn't say it was optimized for Nvidia, all the testing in the later stages of development was done on an NForce 2 system with an Nvidia video card... There's an interview with JC about this floating around out there somewhere...
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2004
    True, but who the hell cares. It looks badass on my ATi
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2004
    True, but who the hell cares. It looks badass on my ATi

I agree.
    The id developers actually started off working more with ATI for the game. But then someone at ATI leaked out the alpha version (given to them by id for testing) on the internet a couple years back...they put a damper on the ATI/id relationship and was a huge factor in working more with Nvidia.

And while I wouldn't say it was optimized for Nvidia, all the testing in the later stages of development was done on an NForce 2 system with an Nvidia video card... There's an interview with JC about this floating around out there somewhere...

The only thing NVidia really had to do with it is shelling out the cash to get their name all over the product. Working with them, yes, but NVidia and ATI are so close in their benchmarks it doesn't matter what brand you have, just the quality. I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't have any affect on the game whatsoever. Anyone who's telling you that is blowing smoke up your **** and it's all a pull for NVidia....which I have NO problem with. I'm a fan of them. That's just the free market at work.
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2004
    Exactly. One game the ATi cards are better, then next Nvidia is better, and only slightly anyways. Nvidia sure has been slapping their name on everything lately too.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited August 2004
    while i think nvidia's wallet had something to do with it, i don't think they only paid to have their name plastered all over the place.

Benchmarks

The video card manufacturers know that every extra frame per second they can squeeze out on the latest PC games will mean more sales. And one easy way to do that is to design cards with specific optimizations and making sure the game designers use them. So they pay the game makers and you see big partnerships like Nvidia and id for Doom3 and ATi and Valve for Half-Life (did that game ever come out???). Both of the major graphics competitors are guilty of this and will continue to do so becauce it is effective marketing.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2004
    So who here is going to be the first to beat the game?

I don't think I'm going to rush through it. I want to upgrade my PC a little more first so I can enjoy the game at its potential. I really need to upgrade my computer speakers as well. Anybody play this with PC surround sound, comments?

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21101

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by PolkThug
    I don't think I'm going to rush through it. I want to upgrade my PC a little more first so I can enjoy the game at its potential. I really need to upgrade my computer speakers as well. Anybody play this with PC surround sound, comments?

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21101

Regards,
    PolkThug

Logitech Z-Series are the way to go, unless you have the componnents lying around. Maybe that's just me...I won't put a ton into my computer sound system as far as speakers go.
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    you get roughly 30 more fps on Nvidia cards than ATi cards from what Ive read thus far. Also , people with ATI cards seem to have the most trouble.

I depends more on your PC than your VC. I'm really not trying to argue about this...I'm just saying. Next week ATI will have the best card. It's never ending crap. Just get what you like.
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by Demiurge
    Logitech Z-Series are the way to go, unless you have the componnents lying around. Maybe that's just me...I won't put a ton into my computer sound system as far as speakers go.

I argue that Klipsch Promedia is the way to go if you have $500 to blow on computer speakers. The Z-680 are pretty good too... for computer speakers. You can get the Z-640 for ~ $40-50; I may pick them up for those times that headphones get annoying.
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2004
    Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't spend that much though. I got the Z series and it keeps me satisfied. :)
  • Terrax
    edited August 2004
    Couldn't agree more, ATC. BTW, ATI has released a "Hot Fix Doom3 graphics driver" in case anyone is interested. Which does provide an improvement. And as far as Graphics cards go....... The drivers are every bit as important as the hardware. Drivers can make or break a card. Doesn't matter who makes it.

Here is the link to ATI's Doom3 driver:
    http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4547.html
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2004
    Anyone install those ATi drivers?
  • Terrax
    edited August 2004
    I'm running them, and they are working great. Not only for doom, but my other games as well. They are pre-cat 4.9's
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2004
    Thanks for the update Terrax. What card are you using?
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2004
    Nevermind, I see you have a 9800XT. Same as me, awesome.
  • PolkThug
    edited August 2004
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited August 2004
    Holy crap.... the more I play this game, the more it scares the **** outta me, and more often.... My new video card is scheduled to be here Tuesday, so then I can _really_ get scared shitless.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2004
    What new video card might that be?
  • nadams
    edited August 2004
    Sorry.... I got an AOpen Geforce FX5700LE, and am impatiently awaiting its arrival.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-135-139&depa=1
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Terrax
    edited August 2004
    Well........ after spending some time digging for tweaks, and finding this: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14716 and tinking with my config, I've got the game running on my system running on 1600x1200, with high quality settings, 2x AA, and looking killer, at a very acceptable frame rate, without upgrading yet. Which tommorrow I'll be ordering me a new motherboard and proc.

Check out the thread and see what you all think.
  • nadams
    edited August 2004
    08-09-04.gif
    Credit- Angst Technology.... www.inktank.com (barry t. smith)

Anyway..... I'm running into this syndrome :-). Tonight's gonna be worse 'cause I got my video card today. The graphics are so... damn.... _real_

wow, running 1024x768 at high quality. Haven't tried ultra quality yet. I think I'm getting close to the end of the game though :-( :-(
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • PolkThug
    edited August 2004
    Funny how this little 19" screen makes me jump, I have to get this hooked up to the Hitachi via DVI.
  • nadams
    edited August 2004
    08-11-04.gif
    Ludicrous gibs!