Attn: Schumach-Sony wega

Options
SPEAKER7
SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
thanks for your commets about your Sony........for all that money you have paid for the tv.......what a bunch of crap for reliability.

I'm starting to get some second thoughts about buying the sony tv....I was very impressed with it when I compared their picture quality/contrast to other tv's/brands some where close ie. toshiba 34" wide screen and the panasonic tau's. I have been waiting since last oct to pick one up and now it's only two weeks away and now I'm not sure.....I am suppose to go in with a buddy of mine at work to purchase two sets to see if we can get a better pricing on it.....but now? maybe I give him the bad news or see how much is for the extended warranty.

just wondering (very important) which model did you and your brother purchase.....the 400series or the 450series wega XBR 36"?....the one that I was looking to purchase is the 450series.

if worst comes to worst.....maybe I'll have another look at the toshiba 34" 16:9 widescreen....thanks again for your comments/experience....I DEFINITELY DONOT WANT TO PAY ABOUT 4000.00cdn OF HARD EARNED MONEY FOR something so heavy and unreliable......I'm planning to enjoy it for the next several years and not to get stressed out over it!

dc.

:confused:
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited February 2002
    Options
    DC-I bought a 32" 400 from C.C. and had geometry problems with all 3. I was getting no where with C.S. so I called the Corp. office in N.J.. I don't remember the women I talked to but I sent her all my records of the problems and who I had talked to and when. After receiving my info and calling me she sent a 36" 450 at no extra cost to me and picked up the bad one. I came to find out the VVEGAs cant be turned on their side or anything they have to be kept level. Since she sent this one and it was sent right and was not turned on its side, like C.C. kept doing, I have not had problem 1. Just some info for ya, C.S. sucks but Corp. rocks IMO. Her name might still be on a audioreview post, not buy me though someone else wrote her name in their post. Again IMO I would not let c.s. chage my decission.
    Chris :)
  • fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Those Panasonics you describe have been on the Australian market for around 2 yrs and i have read of many problems with the picture tube, in my opinion the Sony is overrated and overpriced. After extensive research I ended up with a Loewe ws tv made in Germany and built like a Mack truck but with the looks of our other Aussie EllE McPHERSON, the picture quality of the Loewe is almost as good as her legs.:cool:
    The Wonder From Downunder
  • SPEAKER7
    edited February 2002
    Options
    thankyou all Polksters out there for your replys!

I'm kinda loss at the moment...my head is spinning around like a donut......I'm not really sure what to buy at this point. I must give my buddy a shout...he's not going too be impressed for delaying this purchase!

It will be tough to find out if the Sony Wega's that are shipped out here are actually shipped out not sitting on their sides. (something that I never knew that may have and effect on the quality of the pic)

thanks again....and please add more if you hear or know anymore with had bad experiences with the Sony wega xbr's.

dc.:confused:
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I've seen the white 32" Loewe widescreen before. They are pretty sexy, no doubt.

Aaron
  • fabian1
    edited February 2002
    Options
    G'day mate, you are right they are sexy, I have a matt silver one, people reckon it looks good even when its switched off :)
  • SPEAKER7
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Hello there........!

Just came back from a local A/V store..... checked out the Toshiba
    34" HD wide screen tv HF8134......pretty good picture quality. I measured the screen(viewing area) 30"wx17"h....because my 27 trinitron is only 22"wx16"h.....there are some differences in w but not much or any in the height department. My original plan was to get a 36" 4:3 which has more viewing area per say....I wanted to upgrade from a 27" to 36" .....but I'm running out of choices....I'm looking for RELIABLITY AND PRICE.....SIZE....but it will have to be a tube/direct view flat screen.

the Toshiba 34" 16:9 goes for NEGOTIABLE 2800.00cdn or less.....
    matching stand 199.99

the Sony 36" 4:3 3250.00cdn or less (maybe)
    matching stand 350.00

which model would you choose you choose the Toshiba or the SONY?....

ps. I do not believe we carry the Loewe around my area but it sure sound like it's a very nice piece of work!

dc.
  • fabian1
    edited February 2002
    Options
    gday mate, if you cannot get the LOEWE take the toshiba, i have seen this tv and its damm good,although the sound is fair, but who cares l watch most of my tv through the Polks, REGARDS FABIAN:)
  • billlb
    billlb Posts: 59
    edited February 2002
    Options
    speaker 7 : I am very familar with sony's . Usually rule of thumb is that the higher the # on the tv the newer or better options. If you were to purchase either the 400 or 450 - no decision... The 450 is hd ready without a tuner built in. A separate hd tuner are going for approx. $400-$800 depending on the brand. So you should be able to purchase a 450 for approx.$1800-$2200 and a separate tuner with a combined price tag of $2500 { the approx. list of the 450} Sony also makes a 34" hd widescreen with built in tuner but is priced too high, and of course their NEW 40" tube tv. Now Sony can boast that they have the biggest tube tv on the market since Mitsubishi dropped theirs a couple of years ago. Sony's are awesome regardless what others say. With your 36" as a perfect example, any problems call sony with their toll free no. and they will send a authorized repair man to come to your house and take care of you as long as it's still under warranty. If not you just pay the extra house call.....Would any other brand not??? In fact I just sold my 36"250 to purchase a 450 for hd ready. If you are still not sold on sony , try a serious look at the Samsung {Tantus} they make a 27" & 32" widescreen hd ready & sep. tuner of couse silver/gray priced right too. Good Luck & have fun , that's what it's all about...
  • fabian1
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Loewe will be releasing the biggest tube tv in the world soon 42 inches or 109 centimetres in Aussie metric its on their site www.loewe.com, cant wait:)
  • SPEAKER7
    edited February 2002
    Options
    thanks.......again......many times over.....WHAT great Polk board we have here....!!!!

thanks for all the great suggestions.....however, i'm still undecided to which model to purchase.....maybe I'll have to flip a coin or win a lottery and buy both sets.....

However, the best so far is to digest the many recommendations posted here and see how the majority plays out! Sony vs Toshiba? 34" vs 36"

dc.:rolleyes:
  • billlb
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Fabian: Hey buddy do not take me the wrong way on my comments coming at you o.k.? I think loewe tv's are superb in picture quality and of course their ever so handsome cabinetry. I just cannot justify their price, way out of line. Icould either buy 2- 36" xbr wega's / or buy a 42" plasma tv. So if I wanted to purchase a great tv just think of those $$$ just in one tv? But on the other flip of the coin we all have our toys and where we decide to put our $$$. No one is wrong or right - it is our humble opinion ---yes...
  • fabian1
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Gday Bill sorry to hear about the cost of loewe in the US down under here the cost of the loewe planus aound 34 inches w/s is around 1800.00 dollars us with all the bells & whistles:confused:
  • billlb
    edited February 2002
    Options
    fabian: Thanks for the reply, at that price I'm with you mate!!! If I could buy a 36" loewe with all the bells and whistles at that price, I would own one too. I got to get going and will talk later but thanks. I guess we in the U.S. get screwed on shipping then
    right!!! There are just too many things and people that tv goes through before it leaves a store,too bad. There is only one place in our city that sells Loewe and oooh how the price is so jacked out of wack!!! Good Day Mate...
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Sorry for the delay in responding. I have the standard 36" inch. Model number KV-36FV16, my brother has the upper Trinitron 32". I was talking to a friend and he had his old TV go out and the repair guy told him that it would be cheaper to get a new TV (This company did not sell TV's). My friend asked the repair guy about Sony and the response was that Sony TV's had a tendency to have tuners go bad. This guy recommended the Toshiba and he also recommended the extended policy, because he has been spending more time on new TV's then the older ones. My friend picked up his Toshiba 36" today and loves it. It only cost him $150 for a 3 year extended warranty. Hope this helps.

Greg:)
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited February 2002
    Options
    DC-I have a Sony Trinitrone whichis over 20 years. The picture is getting dull but NEVER a prob. I had an XBR 250 NO probs. Sony is the only T.V. which has the appiture grille, patented, which is a metal mesh screen. That is why it is not a dark screen, all TVs have some sort of grille. Dark screens have a black stick on piece of plastic with the milllions of little holes or a flat peice of black metal which have pincusion problems, will loose clarity in corners. Some dark screens have a black spot, it is a fold or crease in the stick on. Projectio TVs are a whole nother story. The ISF guy who has come to fine tune all three TVs the 250 450 and Pioneer PRO-710D, said Sony in the best in his opinion, they have the best picture in his opinion and IMHO.

Check out this link, go to Home Theater then Sony service menu. For anyone who has a Sony be real careful if you use this you can really f--k up your tv. If you do I recomend doing everything he says before gong in. It also has a lot of good info and tweak for other stuff.
    www.cyberspace.org/~awh/

I think all the TVs are close but Sony takes it with the best picture for tubes. But everyone has their own opinion and you need to get what you like the best and will be happy with.
    Chris :)
  • SPEAKER7
    edited February 2002
    Options
    thank you all for getting back with all the responses on the TV situation!

I had a tough time sleeping last night.............could not decide on which model to buy. Feeling a little insecure on the reliability on the (new) Sony Wega's XBR'S.....I'm presently using an 11 yrs old Sony KV-27HFR Trinitron and everything is working fine (made in JAPAN) but not sure with the newer technology.

If I was going to buy the Toshiba 34"widescreen...I will be saving about 800.00 cdn and it comes with the in home warranty for 2 yrs.....but, I will have for decide if I can live with having a screen that is the same height as my present one but with and extra 8" on the length.......it doesn't seem like a big difference for upgrading (I'm still using my tv for mostly 4:3 viewing and some DVD's) too bad there wasn't a 36" wide screen.......however, both of these sets are HDTV compatiable.

well, I will have postpone my purchase a little longer and will have to take a closer look at the two set before I hand over any money.....I'll let you all know what my decison will be.

ps. or you all can mail me some US currency at the address below and I can pick both sets and have them tested for a yr and I can report back on the reliability........JUST KIDDING!!!!!

dc.:D
  • billlb
    edited February 2002
    Options
    DC. Hey! part of the decision making is the real fun of the whole ballgame. You could ask 12 more people and get more differant picks. It's just most of us that have or had Sony's think they are the greatest. I have owned them for approx. 20+ yrs. and knock on wood have been extremely good to me. I actually own 5 in my home as we speek, yes I like watching sports & movies. I take very good care of them so when I sell them for a upgrade I do pretty good. If the price were the same between sony & loewe {thanks to fabian} you would have a real hard decision. But come on guys - - -comparing to toshiba? That's like comparing a chevy truck to a dodge. Both are similar, chevy a little more $$$ and better known and the kicker is they last longer and hold a MUCH BETTER resale value just like our sony's...O.K. I will get off this and relax, I need a beer or something with the Aussie man on the beach like the commercials. Hey buddy really good luck with your decision and have fun doing it and remember the most important thing is who's got to be happy with the tv???YOU.......
  • SPEAKER7
    edited February 2002
    Options
    billlb,

thanks for sharing your thoughts!!!........remember not to spill your BEER on the back of your Sony.......it may be the most expensive drink after your repair bill comes.

have a nice day!

dc.:p