Center and rears to match SDA 1.2's

Options
mcowan
mcowan Posts: 21
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Could I get any suggestions as to what would compliment my 1.2's? I just bought a Marantz AV-500 preamp which will replace my Hafler DH110. The Marantz is connected to a Modified Hafler DH500 amp. I will be looking for 2 more of these amps to drive whatever I get for the center and rears. Thanks.

-Mark-
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• axeman
    axeman Posts: 170
    edited February 2002
    Options
    A CS-400i and som f/x 1000's would make any 1.2's sound as they should for HT fronts.........:-)
    Joe
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited February 2002
    Options
    There are a number of HT fans using 1.2 fronts with other SDAs as the rears. I know of 2.3s, 1Cs, 2Bs, and CRS(+)s being used as the rears. While the 400i is a good choice for the center, others are using CRS(+)s for the center.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Mark:

The best match might be the CRS+, that is, if you can find a pair. I am using SDA 1C's as fronts and rears. I started out with a CS400i, but I was increasingly annoyed by the mismatch in timber between the CS400i and the 1C's, particularly when sounds moved from the center to either front speaker.

I am currently using a pair of CRS+'s (SDA pin/blade connector model) as center channels. They have the same tweeter and drivers as the 1C's. The sound in front is well-integrated and the speakers just disappear into a solid wall of sound in front of me.

For a while, I used a pair of RT55i's as a center channel. I liked them better than the CS400i because they added more "weight" and bass to the center channel sound. However, the plastic drivers of the RT55i and CS400i lacked the warmth and natural sound of the laminated paper drivers used in the CRS+. So, the CRS+'s went back into the HT system.

Just to satisfy my never ending audio curiosity, I rolled my 1.2TL's into my video room to see if liked the difference a larger speaker would make up front. It was great, although there was a noticeable (to me) timbre difference between the SL3000 tweeters of the 1.2TL's and the SL2000 tweeters of the CRS+'s. I would like to replace my 1C fronts with 1.2's and will do so as soon as I find a good pair that is not too far away.

I'm glad to see you are going the multi-amp route. Your SDA's will love it! I am driving my center CRS+'s with an Adcom GFA-5500, my front 1C's with another GFA-5500, my rear 1C's with an Adcom 5503, and my SVS CS Ultra sub with an Adcom GFA-555 mk II. I have a spare channel on the GFA-5503 that I will use to drive a rear center, if I ever decide to do the 6.1 thing.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I agree. The CRS+s would probably make the best match, only they are sometimes hard to come by. I have a pair I'm not currently using but I don't think I want to part with them at the moment.

I use 2Bs as my HT rears but I use a 400i for the center as the fronts are RT3000p's. I'm using the 3000s as SDAs though with a Carver C-9. (When I actually use my HT that is.)

I also agree, separate amps are the way to go. (I feel strongly enough about this that it's the only way to go for me, for HS and HT systems.)
  • DarqueKnight
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Bob,

If you ever decide you'd like to part with those CRS+'s let me know.:)
  • axeman
    axeman Posts: 170
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I don't know Bob, I think the SDA is wasted if you use them as a rear speaker in HT. I had an original pair of SRS I was gonna use with my TL's, but ended up settling with a pair of RTA-8 TL's.

They are working great and the SRS's are still very happy putting out SDA for me..........:-)

Joe
  • DarqueKnight
    edited February 2002
    Options
    axeman,

I agree, as far as SDA effect, SDA's don't make sense in the rear. I first had RT55i's in the rear, but I switched them for SDA 1C's. I prefer the added sonic impact of having a full range speaker in the rear. Plus, the 1C's are a better match for what I am running up front.