Front Speaker Choices!!!

Options
johnnyamerika
johnnyamerika Posts: 382
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Hey all,

I'm a new user here, but have been into Polk for a while. I set up a system for my father that includes the RM6600 and 350W sub, hooked into a Denon 2801. I had never been so amazed with Home Theater before that system. So I just had to build one for myself!!!

I didn't want to go the 'same' route, though. Instead of sats, I wanted bookshelf or floorstanding, namely because I listen louder than my father and the room I'm in is slightly bigger. Plus there's nothing like some towering speakers to look at and feel the sound coming from them!

I have an Onkyo 595 and my first 'set' component, a 245i Center, which is great. Right now I'm running the fronts and surrounds on older control moniters from JBL, that kicked in their day (but that day was 1990, heh heh). I plan on completing this system with Polk.

However I don't know what way to go. I already have the 245i, so whatever I choose needs to fit that. I'm looking at:

1. The 55i's, which everyone seems to talk about.

or

2. The brand new RTi70's, which look amazing (love the power port)

What do you all think? Or is there a better Polk combination out there? I am on somewhat of a tight budget (why I like Polk to begin with!) I really was looking into those i70's, but everyone seems to talk like the 55s are golden. Help me out!

Thanks,
John
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited February 2002
    Options
    The new speakers may very well be better in many ways, but for the money the 55i's are awfully hard to beat right now. I say get them before they're gone. It's likely that they'll match your 245i better than the new series will.

Jason
  • cesmith0215
    cesmith0215 Posts: 2
    edited February 2002
    Options
    The reason I'm on this site is because of the Surround system I just put in. I have 53uwx10b Hitachi television, an Onkyo 595 receiver, Polk R40 front tower speakers, CS245i center, and R10 surround speakers and a 350sw. The set up absolutely kicks. I've not yet had the system to full volume, mainly because I can't STAND IT THAT LOUD! I really suggest those old R40 for the money, the sound is fantastic.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited February 2002
    Options
    rt55i's are nice speakers, and cheaper than ever right now.
    rt35i's are also very nice, cheaper, and will match up with your center well.
    add some rt15i surround and a psw350 and you would have a nice, balanced, clean sounding affordable
    system.

-luc
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited February 2002
    Options
    What JBLs. Maybe I can offset your investment?
    Make it Funky! :)
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Yes, I was looking at the R40's also, but I read that they don't use the same speaker domes as other Polk floorstandings.

One of the reasons I was really consitering these floorstanding models is I live in an apartment, and I want accurate Bass reproduction without a subwoofer. Those new i70's have a powerport, which I like.

Do the 55i's have good bass reproduction?

How does everyone else feel about these r40's? They are really cheap right now!

Gidrah: The JBLs are 4311b Control Moniters. They have 12" mains, 5" mids, and a 1.4" tweeter. I actually found some documentation here: http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4311b.pdf

They do still sound good, but if you're really interested, I have to let you know that I've been using them for YEARS. They are worn physically a bit too (as to be expected of almost 15 years of use). Seems they are used in Studios mostly for their range.

Also, they are 46 lbs each.

John