don't the taxpayers pay enough!!

Options
wangotango68
wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Ex-Enron Workers Before Congress

Associated Press, January 30, 2002

WASHINGTON (AP) - Laid-off Enron workers pressed for help Wednesday on Capitol Hill, putting faces to some of the stories of retirement nest eggs lost when the company collapsed.

Organized by the Rev. Jesse Jackson, several dozen workers piled in buses to make the 25-hour trip from Houston to appeal for help paying for mortgages, health care, groceries, children's tuition and other living expenses.

``I lost everything, because I believed in Enron,'' Jessie Patterson told House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt and other Democratic lawmakers. Earlier, the workers met with AFL-CIO officials.

Gephardt pledged Democrats' help to assuage ``this ... tragedy of great proportions.''

He said Enron's implosion, the largest bankruptcy filing in U.S. history, should spur changes in laws governing pension and 401(k) plans that would give people more control over investments and greater protection against corporate mismanagement.

Enron's generous political donations and attempts to influence energy policy also should also spark congressional passage of long-stalled legislation aimed at reducing the influence of big money in politics, Gephardt said.

``I believe with all my heart that we have to clean up politics in this country,'' he said.

Gwen Gray, who worked in Enron human resources, said she processed millions of dollars in bonuses that were paid to retain key executives in the two months leading up to the bankruptcy, while workers were given 30 minutes to get out of the building without severance pay.

Almost 95 percent of Gray's 401(k) was invested in company stock. She said she has $109 left, ``and that will pay my light bill that's due Monday.''

Several workers said they were having difficulty finding work because companies in the Houston area have been reluctant to hire Enron workers. Many feared that speaking out would hurt job prospects or target them for retaliation.

``We're not here just for a handout,'' said Kathy Benedict, who can't afford the $300 a month to extend her health insurance benefits. ``We need jobs.''

Several workers said lawmakers should change federal bankruptcy laws to make workers and their retirement plans secured creditors that would be at the top of the list for available assets. Workers now come after secured creditors.

``Maybe it's too late for us, but there are other people out there,'' said Dennis Vegas. ``This could happen to other Americans.''

scott:cool:
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on