Speaker setup

Billyb
Billyb Posts: 3
edited July 2001 in Technical/Setup
I have RM 6600s and an Onkyo Amp and PSW350. I use this system strictly for playing music. The onkyo has surround. Please what is the best way to set up the speakers? I want to use the rear speakers for surround. As of now I have the 2 fronts set up on the Onkyo to the fronts out and the rears to the surround and the PSW350 to the Sub out. Is this the best way to get the max sound out of my system?
Post edited by Billyb on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited July 2001
    Hello Billy,
    The satellites, in your RM6600, are able to reproduce sound down to 150 Hz, in fact they have a built-in high pass filter to make sure they don't go any lower. This means that the sub-woofer has to be able to play up to 150 Hz in order to match the low capability of the satellites. If you use the sub-out, of your receiver, it is usually going to filter off at 80 or 90 Hz. This means that the sub-woofer will only play up to 80 or 90 Hz and not go high enough, in frequency, to match the satellites. The gap in response would mean a reduction in "fullness" in the mid-bass region. There would also be a lack of cohesion between the PSW350 and the satellite speakers; a feeling that the sound is disjointed and lacking in substance. If you follow the connection instructions on page 5, illustrations G and H (page 15 if you have the multi-language version) of the RM6600 owner's manual you will provide a full range audio signal to the PSW350. Then the low pass filter adjustment on the back of the PSW350 could be set to 150 Hz. Then follow the receiver setup instructions on page 2 of the same manual (page 3 of the multi-language version). This will insure a smooth blending of the sub-woofer with the satellites. Probably blending of the sub-woofer is one of the most important aspects of getting a satellite/sub-woofer system to sound correct.
    I hope this is helpful information.
    Regards, Ken Swauger