B&K Silver ST125.2 Amplifier for Sale

Options
pjdami
pjdami Posts: 1,894
edited July 2004 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
I am selling my B&K ST125.2 amp. Approximately one year old. Mint condition. Conservatively rated at 125 X 2 watts / channel. This amp will drive the LSi / RT line of speakers with ease. 30 amperes of current. Very nice, natural, and warm sounding amp which delivers nice detail at the same time. I am the original owner and this unit was purchased from a B&K dealer for $800.

Link to more info:

http://www.bkcomp.com/st125.asp

Asking $475 shipped and insured to the lower CONUS.

Check out the transformer and the capacitors.
Post edited by pjdami on

Comments

• pjdami
    edited June 2004
    Options
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Pj - So..., now you are selling this awesome amp huh? Dang, come on people, this amp for $475 shipped and insured is a hell of a deal!! "Made in the USA, B&K!"
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • pjdami
    edited June 2004
    Options
    smglbrth,

Actually, I have a B&K amp I replaced the ST125.2 with. Found a great deal on a Ref 4420 that I just couldn't pass up locally here in town where I live.

As far as differences between the two I find they sound exactly the same at lower volumes. At higer volumes the Ref 4420 pulls away as should be expected with the more power and current (75 amps) that the 4420 has. But you know what, that is really jammin... something I don't do at those volumes very often.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited June 2004
    Options
    my dad may be interested....id like to be first in line
  • pjdami
    edited June 2004
    Options
    And you are first in line Airplay! You got dibs so far. Thanks for looking.

Paul
  • Airplay355
    edited June 2004
    Options
    im waitin for him to come down stairs and look at it lol damn.....this is exactly what he wanted to buy, we just got back from a place where he readin bout it and looking to buy it along with the pt5 preamp.
  • pjdami
    edited June 2004
    Options
    PM me an email that can accept large picture files and I can take all the pictures you need of it.

I have the silver PT5 preamp as well that matches. Wasn't on the chopping block yet but I could consider letting that go too.

Paul
  • Airplay355
    edited June 2004
    Options
    your mail box is full, my email is airplay355@hotmail.com
  • pjdami
    edited June 2004
    Options
    The amp is still up for grabs folks.

Last chance before these hit eBay or Agon. Price for amp reduced to $400 + shipping and I'm going to sell the matching PT5 preamp for $300 + shipping.

9/10 only because I'm the original owner and these are one year old.

Ciao,
    Paul
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,030
    edited June 2004
    Options
    PJ...

How fast you wanting to sell that amp? If you don't mind waiting --

I'll take it off your hands when I get the cash gathered!

Whats the power at 4 ohms?

Time I ventured into other amps eh ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pjdami
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Trey,

Check out the link above for more info and download the specs. Its 185 watts @ 4 ohms with 30 amps of current.

How long are you talking about holding it for you? I could do a couple of weeks to a month.

I have to go to the hardware store. I'll be on AIM later.

Paul
  • pjdami
    edited June 2004
    Options
    p.s. "cut more grass":D

LOL....

Just finished cutting mine. Whew it is smokin hot and humid out there!
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by pjdami
    p.s. "cut more grass":D

LOL....

Just finished cutting mine. Whew it is smokin hot and humid out there!

Same thing here in Tn., feels like it just encloses around you the minute you walk out the door. Did some work for a friend and I was soaked in about 10 min.
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • VR3
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Hey Paul -

I should be able to pick it up before a month. 2 - 3 weeks TOPS.

We are about to have a REAL good week or so coming up, work everyday!

So -- it shouldnt take a month.

I will talk to you on AIM about it...

How much would it be shipped to 28023?

I know this is a stupid question, but how do you think it would compare to the 545 Adcom?

I havn't worked much this week at all. However, working outside then coming inside is like walking in the doctors office on a 100 degree day! LOL
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pjdami
    edited June 2004
    Options
    I know this is a stupid question, but how do you think it would compare to the 545 Adcom?

Sid, I'd like to sell you the amp, but I'd like to know what you are trying to accomplish with your system. What do you think you need to improve on?

The Adcom has impressive power as well. I haven't compared Adcom to B&K myself. I have run B&K and NAD together though, but the opposite of what you would have. I ran a B&K pre with a NAD amp and it was very similar sounding to the B&K pre with the B&K amp. At this level of gear, the preamps seem to have a more dramatic effect than the amps do when you get into quality amps like rotel, b&k, NAD, Adcom, etc. There will be some differences though.

If you want to get the amp as an experiment to try out different amps then this would be a nice one. Will it make a dramatic improvement over what you have I can't answer that with any truthfulness without having experienced Adcom myself. You may be able to hear some tonal differences though. Which one you like better will be the question.

Sorry if I couldn't answer your question but I don't want to blow smoke either.
  • VR3
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Paul,
    Adcom has a very forward sound, slightly harsh top end.

I am looking for a smoother/more detailed top end - more musical if you will.

B&K is rather well respected, and I believe it will be above it on the musical side of things.

Basically just looking for something that is musical! I would love to upgrade my preap, but dont quite have that kind of cash.
  • pjdami
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Trey,

B&K is anything but harsh in my experience. The gear is very neutral to warm sounding. I found B&K to be more relaxed in the midrange than Rotel even.

It would be a step in the right direction perhaps, but the rest of your gear in front of it will also dictate how much of a refinement in the "harsh" sound you are experiencing.

Part of the fun of this hobby is trying out different gear and experiencing it for yourself. Although this can get to be costly, that's the way the rest of us learned;)

Paul
  • VR3
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Paul,
    Thats why I want to give this B&K a try! ;)

I have a Denon CD Player, and a NAD preamp -- so there isnt much more harshness to mention...from what people tell me hear.

The next thing I guess I would have to trade out is the IC.
  • pjdami
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Amp has been sold to Sid.
  • VR3
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Yup! :D

This shall be in-ter-est-ting! lol

see what I have been missing the past couple years!
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Way to go Sid! Let us know how it sounds. Post pics also.

John
    No excuses!
  • VR3
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Will let you know! Will post pics when I can!

- Trey
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited June 2004
    Options
    You lucky lil bastage......I'll be right over for the smash and grab.:D
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Good decision Sid! If this is the sound you are looking for I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    I do tend to agree with PJ though, about the preamp making most of the different aspects in the sound.
    Have fun and be sure to let us know how it goes!!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • VR3
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Thank you all!

Hotwheel -- you can come over anytime lol - if you are ever in my neck of the woods...drop on by eh

I totally agree with you both on the preamp.

My NAD preamp is 10 years old, and it sounds great. Dosn't quite throw off the wicked soundstage the Pioneer Elite receiver did, but it is alot more detailed.

I like the preamp, but like I said above - it is *10 years old*. It is COMPLETELY analog. No real crossover --

To set a crossover frequency, and set the surround settings and center settings - it must be done from the BACK of the receiver. Only thing digital about it - is the little screen on the front so you can see what you are doing! @_@

And as I said above, Preamps are way to friggin expensive. LOL

I figured I would try the amp out, see how it sounds compared to the Adcoms.

Here is what I am shooting for --
    Mains 1 - Definitive Tech BP10 (older version)
    Mains 2 - Polk Audio RTi70/RT5
    Surrounds - Definitive Tech BP6B (newer version)
    Subwoofer - SVS PCi 22-31

Preamp - NAD 917
    CD Player - Denon DCM-280
    DVD Player - Panasonic DVD 35 (I think)
    Tuner - Sansui T-9

Main Amp - B&K ST125.2
    Main Amp Speaker Switcher - Adcom GFS-3 (to switch between Def Tech BP10 and Polk Audio RTi70
    RT5 amp - Adcom GFA-545
    Surround Amp - Adcom GFA-545 II

Then I will have to lay down the hat to it all ;) (maybe)

Thanks for the amp PJ, let me know when you ship so I can get my mom to keep on the look out!
  • VR3
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Paul - do you have the original box? Or aftermarket?

Manual included?
  • pjdami
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Yeah Trey, I have the original box, powercord, manual, everything. The B&K packaging is superb. When you get the unit it looks so new and will be dressed up and packed just like it was when I got it from the B&K dealer. This amp is still a cherry. I used it for about 4 months light use then I got a tube amp and the B&K has been sitting in storage.

No worries here bud. Let me go find the box. I still have the 4 year warranty remaining on the amp as well. Not sure if it is transferable.

p.s. you can also download extra manuals from the website in case you want to get a head start on reading.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by pjdami
    p.s. you can also download extra manuals from the website in case you want to get a head start on reading.
    Is there really a manual for an amp? I mean, something like

1. Plug power cable in

2. Connect Speaker Cables from amp to Preamp

3. Power on

should be sufficient.....no? lol
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • VR3
    edited June 2004
    Options
    AWESOME!

I will have to find a place to put it, since it is...about 6-7 inches DEEPER than my other amps.

Probally will have to put it in the place of the XBox to show it off :p

LOL, I am seriously very curious to how it sounds and how it sounds on the Definitives...

Guys,
    Paul is a perfect example of what Club Polk is all about -- and I will have to find some way to repay him sometime in the future, truly a great guy! Thank you for helping me out here :D

- Trey

Brett,
    I like to know a lil bit about the amp --

Does anyone know how many amps the Adcom GFA-545 is? It is like 44,000 UF aint it? But like the B&K is 30 amps... etc etc
  • pjdami
    edited June 2004
    Options
    I will have to find some way to repay him sometime in the future, truly a great guy! Thank you for helping me out here

Trey,

Just send me what you can afford every couple of weeks or so. Don't sweat it.

I admire you working hard for your money and earning your gear. This makes you value things and appreciate how difficult it is to have nice stuff without it just being given to you. You've got quite a rig going there at your age.

On the other hand, I hope that you are also enjoying other things in life at your age besides audio LOL... as crazy as that may sound.