Fully modded Toshiba 3950 for sale.

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited June 2004 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
My Toshiba 3950 which I just purchased two weeks ago and modified with the Rossi modifications plus some of my own is for sale. It is in perfect condition. What can I say, I modified it, it sounds better than any DVD player I've ever owned but now it is old news and I am about to modify another Toshiba, the 3960. I am selling it for the actual cost of the unit plus parts costs. Nothing more. $125 plus shipping. You won't be disappointed as it sounds better than pretty much anything less than a grand. Read the 3950 threads all over the internet...
madmax

For those not following the 3950 mods it involves replacement of all the power supply capacitors with low ESR value Panasonic capacitors, a higher value low ESR switching supply cap, premium Black Gate caps throughout the audio board, bypass capacitors on all supply circuits, main power supply noise elimination components, ceramic fuse and output opamp. For an additional cost of $60 I can add a few additonal mods which include a high performance IEC connector with a high quality 10 guage power cord, chassis damping with dynamat, a ground loop elimination wire from analog board to power supply board and grounded noise eliminating heat sinks on the processor and other heat generating componets. For $185 total this unit will outperform most anything out there until you get into the real hich cost models. This thing sounds incredible for the price. Most of these mods increase the performance from the two channel outputs although the power supply mods, isolation, damping mods and cable upgrades will help the RF output to a pre-pro processor. As a redbook CD player this unit is absolutely awesome! As a DVD player it is no slouch either! Much better for long listening sessions than most of the units out there. Certainly better than anything else I own.

Edit: If someone wants the additional mods please allow about a week for me to do them and check the sound quality.

Oh yea, for truely top notch performance I would also suggest a set of #1 vibrapods which I could install at cost for $24 or you could add later. BTW, my unit has been burned in for about 100 hours to check for sound quality and to insure durability.
Thanks!

madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2004
    Dangit! Just when I was getting back in good graces with the old lady.

You've got PM.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited June 2004
    If you ever want to mod one of the 3960s and sell it, put me first on the list...
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited June 2004
    Someone buy my speaks so I can buy this kind of stuff again!!! :( I need it as my dvd player now emits a scream with power connected...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • madmax
    edited June 2004
    Gidrah was the first to claim the Toshiba so he gets it.

I will not do multiple of these to sell because the majority of the mod belongs to Vinnie Rossi and I would not take business away from him. It's not mine to make a profit on. I am only selling this one because I'm moving on and want to try the 3960. That is why I am selling it at cost, not a profit.

madmax

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by madmax
    Gidrah was the first to claim the Toshiba so he gets it.

I will not do multiple of these to sell because the majority of the mod belongs to Vinnie Rossi and I would not take business away from him. It's not mine to make a profit on. I am only selling this one because I'm moving on and want to try the 3960. That is why I am selling it at cost, not a profit.

madmax
    know where I can buy a moded 3860? I know my way around electronics, but don't have the steady hand to solder, so I can't do these mods myself, but would sure like to own one of these...
  • madmax
    edited June 2004
    You mean the 3960? Vinnie Rossi on the audioasylum site, "digital drive" section. At least I know he said on one of his posts that he modded 10 of them so far. I would do it for you if he said it was OK.

madmax

• rnp614
    rnp614 Posts: 598
    edited June 2004
    does Toshiba make a black 3960?
  • madmax
    edited June 2004
    Gidrah,
    People are asking about the player. Please pm me.
    Thanks!
    madmax

• madmax
    edited June 2004
    Sold to Gidrah.
    Thanks!
    madmax

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2004
    :D

Sorry guys. On the bright side though, there will probably be another one for sale in a few weeks. :p
    Make it Funky! :)